!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Jeff_W's Railfanning Thread - U.S. Railroads (mostly)  (Read 934 times)

Offline Jeff_W

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Flickr - Bluegrass Railfan
    • Awards
Re: Jeff_W's Railfanning Thread - U.S. Railroads (mostly)
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2019, 10:52:37 PM »
Last year I took a personal day from work and made a two day trip out to Illinois to visit Union Pacific's Chester Subdivision, among other things. It's a line I wanted to revisit after chasing 844 on it nearly two years prior.

A pre-sunrise drive across Kentucky put me north of Paducah just as the sun began to come up. Out of Metropolis, I followed a line north that paralleled a state road. I've been on this road once or twice before and not seen a thing, but my luck would be different this time. I saw a light on the tracks nearly a mile away and knew that something was coming. I turned around and drove south to a point where I could safely pull off the road and grab a shot of the train, passing a point called "Joppa Junction" near Mermet,IL. This was a UP coal train bound for Paducah, where it will most likely head to Grand Rivers for transloading into barges.
UP 5874 South, Mermet,IL 9/14/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

After catching the UP coal train, I continued west towards the Chester Sub. I stopped at Chester first to scout photo locations, before heading south. At Gorham I found a spot I liked, and after a short wait, a northbound train appeared. He met a southbound (pictured) before moving on, and I got the southbound UP freight in decent light.
UP 5096 South, Gorham,IL 9/14/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
I hung around in Gorham, as I found out another southbound train was on the way. UP SD70ACe 8543 leads a southbound intermodal (A "Z" train I believe) at Gorham. The track on the right is part of the connection to the Mount Vernon Subdivision, which feeds traffic into the Chester Sub.

UP 8543 South, Gorham,IL 9/14/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
I continued south, and caught a southbound autorack train with NS power at Reynoldsville, under the former Missouri Pacific signal bridge. This was one of the locations I photographed UP 844 at, and wanted another shot. The signal bridge is due for replacement, as the new signals are already in and awaiting the final steps to be put into operation.

NS 7610 South, Reynoldsville,IL 9/14/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
After a couple quiet hours spent looking around, I drove back to Wolf Lake, another small town on Illinois State Road 3. At this point the railroad traffic really started to pick up! No sooner did I photograph and watch one northbound go by, did the next one come along. I think I managed 6-7 trains in less than an hour. At one point, a northbound passed, I started heading back to my car when I heard "highball" on the radio and saw a southbound (UP 8917) emerge from behind the passing northbound. Since the images are a bit repetitive, I've posted three here.

UP 7244 North, Wolf Lake,IL 9/14/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
UP 4618 North, Wolf Lake, IL 9/14/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
UP 8917 South, Wolf Lake,IL 9/14/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
After calling it a day, I drove to Du Quoin,IL to spend the night. I've been to Du Quoin numerous times, as the racing series I used to follow races at the track there. The following morning I got out early and caught the northbound Amtrak "Saluki", coming into the station with a new SC44 "Charger" leading. The Saluki is a Carbondale-Chicago train that runs between those points several times a day.

Amtrak 392 "Saluki", Du Quoin,IL 9/15/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Not too far behind the Amtrak train was a northbound manifest, with BNSF power. It was a little bit of a surprise as this is a Canadian National (former Illinois Central) line.
BNSF 8207 North, Elkville,IL 9/15/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
After catching those two trains, I decided to start working back towards home. I made a stop at a hobby shop in Marion,IL called Chuck's Depot. The shop was very nice, probably one of the largest N scale selections I've ever seen in a shop. It also had a huge HO scale layout in the basement that he and a friend had been working on the last 11 years. It was impressive to see. Since he doesn't have an online presence, I've been wanting to go back ever since. I got back into Kentucky in time to hear a grain train on CSX's Henderson Subdivision, heading south. I chased it for miles trying to get ahead, managing to do so at Kelly. Leading the train was CSX 5461, one of CSX's "emblem" units. It was a nice way to finish up a busy railfan weekend.
CSX G104, Kelly,KY 9/15/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2019, 02:18:31 AM »
This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite threads.

Cheers!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2019, 03:35:11 AM »
Ditto the previous post.

Very good photos and commentary, Jeff.

Webbo

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2019, 03:26:58 PM »
Another round of photos from 2016.

I headed west across the Southern East District of Norfolk Southern in southern Indiana on a sunny September day, with no real clear goal in mind. I made it across most of the state before encountering an eastbound train, NS 319, at Oakland City.
NS 319, Oakland City, IN 9/24/2016 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
After 319 passed, I went into Oakland City, a small town northeast of Evansville. At Oakland City Norfolk Southern interchanges with the Indiana Southern Railroad, a current Genessee & Wyoming owned enterprise. This was the local coming in to drop off cars for pickup by NS. While the station sign looks like a Conrail sign, I don't believe they ran out this way at any point before the ISRR came along.
Indiana Southern, Oakland City,IN 9/24/2016 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
I drove a little further on to Princeton. Princeton is a busy railroad town, where NS's Southern East District crosses CSX's CE&D Subdivision. Between the two lines, it would be easy to see 40-45 trains in a given day, with a majority of them belonging to CSX. Coming from the west, the lines meet near town and parallel one another right through town past the old depot. NS 167 is seen here passing the depot at Princeton. The other main belongs to CSX. South of here NS crosses CSX before entering a small yard, while CSX continues south towards Evansville. With a Toyota plant south of town and a coal loadout north of town, there's always something going on.
NS 167, Princeton,IN 9/24/2016 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
I drove south for a short time before deciding to turn north. As I did, I heard Q025 call signals on the radio, and he was close. I was unable to pull off in time to get out of my car, but managed a quick grab shot through the windshield as the train passed by. I'm nearly in the small town of Haubstadt,IN, while the rear of the train is passing through Fort Branch.
CSX Q025, Fort Branch,IN 9/24/2016 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Arriving back in Princeton, I continued north on US 41, turning at a road by a hardware store that overlooked the large loop at the Alliance coal loadout. Coal is moved from a mine several miles away to this point by a conveyor belt, where it is then loaded into waiting trains. It is not uncommon to see two entire trains on the loop at one time, with double track allowing one to wait while the other loads. In addition to CSX loading here, Norfolk Southern and the Evansville & Western also load trains here. The loop sits just off the CSX CE&D Subdivision main north of Princeton.
CSX coal loading, Princeton,IN 9/24/2016 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
CSX coal loading, Princeton,IN 9/24/2016 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
After leaving Princeton, I drove south to Evansville, and onto a place called Rahm. "Rahm" isn't actually a town, but an area along the Ohio River across from Henderson,KY. At Rahm, CSX uses a nearly 3 mile long bridge to cross the massive Ohio River before heading into Kentucky, and it's possible to see an entire train on the bridge at once. This area is flooded regularly by the river, and it's not unusual for the water to get almost two-thirds of the way up the bridge pier.
CSX N303, Rahm,IN 9/24/2016 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
CSX Q597-23, Rahm,IN 9/24/2016 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Having caught these two southbounds on the bridge, I decided it was late enough in the afternoon and made my way back towards home.

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2019, 05:05:51 PM »
Nice pictures of a variety of train and motive power, one question is the load out still used with the downturn in coal traffic affecting many railroads.
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2019, 05:56:57 PM »
You did it again, Jeff!!
What a wonderful photos!
I especially like the photo with a long bridge.  :thumbsup:
Thank you and looking forward to seeing more!

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 07:15:04 PM »
Nice pictures of a variety of train and motive power, one question is the load out still used with the downturn in coal traffic affecting many railroads.

I think it still is, it's been a little while since I've been to Princeton. Western Kentucky / Indiana / Illinois coal wasn't hit as bad as eastern Kentucky / West Virginia was, though it's starting to catch up. Dotki mine off the Henderson Subdivision near Madisonville closed earlier this month, leaving just Warrior on the eastern side of Madisonville. I think Oaktown has a loadout along with Bear Run in Indiana, in addition to Alliance. There was another loadout on NS that closed not long ago, it was east of Oakland City IIRC.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 11:03:48 PM »
Fascinating. That's quite a dip in the line in your windscreen shot!

That must be one big river if the water gets two thirds of the way up the bridge piers when it floods!!

Great pics and info, as always.  :beers:

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2019, 05:32:55 AM »
Fascinating. That's quite a dip in the line in your windscreen shot!

That must be one big river if the water gets two thirds of the way up the bridge piers when it floods!!

Great pics and info, as always.  :beers:

The Ohio is about half a mile wide at Henderson where CSX crosses. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8432572,-87.6017479,16.19z?hl=en

A few years ago when I was out in Illinois chasing 844, I stopped where the Ohio meets the Mississippi River. Always thought it would be interesting to be at that one point.

I'm standing in Illinois, the river to the left is the Ohio, the land in the background on the left is Kentucky, the river to the right is the Mississippi, and the land on the right would be Missouri.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2019, 05:45:42 AM »
Cool!  :thumbsup:

And I thought Australia had wide rivers!  :no:

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »
Yesterday I drove up to North Vernon,IN hoping to chase a CSX eastbound towards Cincinnati. Only managed to catch the local working in the small yard at North Vernon, where CSX interchanges with the City of Madison Railroad. The CSX line is the former Baltimore & Ohio main between Cincinnati and St. Louis, though it only sees a few trains these days between Seymour,IN and Cincinnati. A local plies the rails three times a week west of Seymour to Mitchell, with barely anything else from there on to Vincennes. The line is abandoned in parts in Illinois, though the track is still in. The weather didn't look like it would cooperate either so I drove back towards home, where I had a few other things to take care of.

CSX J780, North Vernon,IN 9/21/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Also note the numbers on the numberboard are a bit...backwards.

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2019, 12:57:37 AM »
CSX Q575-24 is southbound at Campbellsburg,KY on CSX's LCL Subdivision, better known as the "Short Line". The name has nothing do with Monopoly, but the line was once the shortest of several railroad routes between Cincinnati and Louisville. Campbellsburg sits at the top of a grade on the railroad, with trains pulling up from either direction. The two ET44AH (with a third as DPU) have their hands full with a 161 car train.
CSX Q575-24, Campbellsburg,KY 9/24/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

And how about...a British steam locomotive?

"Flying Duchess" La Grange,KY, 9/24/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

An (old) article on the history of this particular engine, which came to La Grange in 2011. http://www.roundaboutmadison.com/InsidePages/ArchivedArticles/2011/0911FlyingDuchess.html

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2019, 01:24:44 AM »
Cool!!!  :thumbsup:

I'm not real keen on the livery, though!  :uneasy:

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2019, 01:35:08 AM »
Cool!!!  :thumbsup:

I'm not real keen on the livery, though!  :uneasy:

Yeah, I don't think the livery's going to impress too many folks... I don't see Hatton's (or any other model shop) offering this particular unit any time soon.

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2019, 12:07:45 PM »
Yesterday I decided to drive out to Illinois to one of my favorite hobby shops, it'd been a year since my last (and only) visit and I was itching to get back. On my way over I decided to swing by CSX's Henderson Subdivision. Getting off the parkway south of Nortonville, I saw a northbound coal train going into the siding at Romney. I hurried up US 41 to my favorite spot, the curved double track south of Nortonville. I snapped a couple photos of E013 coming north, but as soon as he got close I turned around and saw Q025 coming south down the main, and knew I had a meet. Getting a meet with both trains moving is quite difficult, but I got lucky with the timing.
CSX E013/Q025, Nortonville,KY 9/25/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

After visiting the shop, I drove around Marion,IL to find the Crab Orchard & Egyptian railroad. It's a short line that interchanges with the Union Pacific, and I was lucky enough to find the engine by the shed. They were still switching when I arrived, so I pulled into an adjacent parking lot to snap photos. One of the crewmembers decided to shout at me and tell me that while I could take photos, I "couldn't post them on social media"...well, I'd understand if I were taking photos of the, but the shots I took were the same kind of shots I've taken hundreds, if not thousands of times, so I'm posting them anyway. There's plenty of other photos on Flickr as it is of the railroad. A friend who works for BNSF in Illinois told me that the crew is a bit weird about things, so I'll leave it at that.
Crab Orchard & Egyptian #33, Marion,IL 9/25/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Crab Orchard & Egyptian #33, Marion,IL 9/25/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

On my way back towards home, I stopped in Morganfield,Kentucky and snapped a photo of an old Missouri Pacific boxcar. It was sitting on blocks at an industry near town. The former Illinois Central right-of-way is about 50 yards from here, and is probably how the car got to Morganfield. These days there's probably not an active railroad within 30 miles of Morganfield. Another friend told me that the car was once set up to be pulled as a trailer on the highway, which would've been interesting to see!
Missouri Pacific Boxcar, Morganfield,KY 9/25/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here