!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Jeff_W's Railfanning Thread - U.S. Railroads (mostly)  (Read 1164 times)

Offline joe cassidy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Jeff_W's Railfanning Thread - U.S. Railroads (mostly)
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2019, 11:19:52 AM »
I like your photos a lot Jeff.

Do you use a tripod ?

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »

(#3 is the one I'd really like to get, simply for the story behind it about its apparent "collision" with a UFO in 2002)

That would make an interesting diorama!

Nice pictures as usual.  :thankyousign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Jeff_W

• Flickr - Bluegrass Railfan
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
I like your photos a lot Jeff.

Do you use a tripod ?

I've only used a tripod on the rare occasions I shoot video. As far as my photos being level, I do that in Adobe Lightroom after getting them off my camera's card.

(#3 is the one I'd really like to get, simply for the story behind it about its apparent "collision" with a UFO in 2002)

That would make an interesting diorama!

Nice pictures as usual.  :thankyousign:

Thanks! I don't know how much truth there is to the story (I admit, I'm a bit skeptical), but it's a fun one.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,1205108

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »
Yesterday I drove out to CSX's "Texas" Sub to try and catch eastbound autorack train Q217. The "Texas" is a nickname for the LH&STL subdivision (Louisville, Henderson & St. Louis - predecessor to the L&N buying the line in 1929) which runs from Louisville to Henderson,KY. The original line was chartered as the Louisville, St. Louis and Texas, but it didn't connect to Louisville (stopping at West Point about 20 miles out, until 1905 when a connection was built), never made it to St. Louis, and certainly never intended to go to Texas! The name stuck though, and railroaders still call the line the "Texas". The line follows the Ohio River closely for most of its route, and is prone to flooding. In the modern CSX era, the line has never been a super busy one, as it really doesn't go anywhere. Louisville is the largest city on line, followed by Owensboro and Henderson. Both end points are serviced by busier CSX routes, so most traffic bypasses the line entirely. These days about 3-4 through trains daily cross the line, mostly autorack traffic. Q217 and Q244 are the the usual pair, but I've seen listings for a Q247/Q248 symbol as well.  Despite the rural nature of the line, there are several large industries at Doe Run, Skillman and Owensboro which all had their own dedicated local trains (J752,J753 and J755) along with another local that runs Owensboro to Louisville.

I had information that Q217 would be a late morning, early afternoon arrival at Louisville, so I left my home after work and before sunrise, hoping to get as far west on the Texas as I could before chasing the train towards Louisville.I made it as far as Irvington, getting there just after sunrise, when a text from a friend told me that I'd just missed Q217 going through there about twenty minutes earlier! After checking maps and trying to decide on what to do, as there's nothing else railroad wise close to Irvington, I opted to drive towards Brandenburg. I'd never been through Doe Run on the eastern side of town, and I knew that power was stored there to switch the industry and that a caboose was also parked in view from the main road. I saw power sitting when I drove through, and passed under the bridge. I checked a side road and crossed the tracks again, figuring I could at least scout out the area for a future trip. When I came back over the tracks, I saw that the power had pulled forward and the locomotive had a headlight on, meaning it would move. I met the train as it crossed the road. One GP38-2, long hood forward, five freight cars, and another caboose that I had not seen on my pass by of Doe Run a few minutes earlier! Not your typical consist on a Class 1 railroad, even for locals. I've shot several other Louisville Division locals, most do not use cabooses for anything. This local, J755-22, would likely need the caboose in a backing movement where the engine could not run around the train during switching moves somewhere along the line.

CSX J755-20, Doe Run, Brandenburg,KY 10/22/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

The caboose is a bit rough looking, but the exterior looks much better than the other one parked at Doe Run.
CSX 900019 - Doe Run, Brandenburg,KY 10/22/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Since this is a relatively short post, I'll throw in a few more photos off the Texas.

Q244-22 is westbound by the old steam era coaling tower at Irvington,KY on February 22nd, 2013. The passing siding at Irvington runs underneath the old tower.  In addition to the siding there are several house tracks here and a spur to an oil/gas dealer.
CSX Q244-22, Irvington,KY 2/22/2013 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Q244-21 westbound pass the grain silos at Irvington on October 21st, 2013. This is not too far past the tower in the photo above.
CSX Q244-21, Irvington,KY 10/21/2013 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Q244-15 crossing the Salt River at West Point on October 15th, 2013. The view here is from high atop Fort Duffield, a Civil War era fort that overlooked the Ohio and Salt Rivers. It's a mile hike to this spot from one's car, and it's almost all uphill from where you start!
CSX Q244-15, West Point,KY 10/15/2013 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
CSX Q204-01 at Skillman,KY on April 1st, 2015. The fields have yet to be planted for the growing season. Most of these autorack trains that run west on the Texas ran to Chicago where they would interchange with UP. This meant that UP power was common on Texas sub trains.
CSX Q204-01, Skillman,KY 4/1/2015 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Q204-01 passes by at Ekron,KY, as farmers go about their business at the local supply store.
CSX Q204-01, Ekron,KY 4/1/2015 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Q244-07 crosses the swing span bridge at Spottsville,KY over the Green River. This bridge has a bridge tender on duty 24 hours a day for passing trains. It was one of three swing bridges the L&N had in western Kentucky, and the only one today that still sees train traffic. This is about as close as you can get without getting into trouble with the RR.
CSX Q244-07, Spottsville,KY 6/7/2016 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
CSX Q205 at Hawesville,KY on May 17th, 2018.
CSX Q205, Hawesville,KY 5/17/2018 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
A pair of Kansas City Southern "Southern Belles" lead train L204-19 through Cloverport,KY on February 19th, 2013. This ended up being my first photo published in Trains Magazine.
CSX L204-19, Cloverport,KY 2/19/2013 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:21:44 AM by Jeff_W »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2019, 10:25:46 AM »
Some more excellent photographs there Jeff.  :thankyousign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2019, 03:06:17 PM »
Q244-15 crossing the Salt River at West Point on October 15th, 2013. The view here is from high atop Fort Duffield, a Civil War era fort that overlooked the Ohio and Salt Rivers. It's a mile hike to this spot from one's car, and it's almost all uphill from where you start!
[img width=600

Who needs a helicopter when you're young and fit ?

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2019, 05:46:55 PM »
Today I found out that Q217 was running a bit later this morning than it did Tuesday, not leaving Evansville until almost 8 am. I left home and made my way to Irvington, and after an hour's wait, got my shot of the train passing the old coaling tower there.
CSX Q217-22, Irvington,KY 10/24/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2019, 10:23:01 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for more great pics.

Just wondered, do the train drivers (engineers) acknowledge your presence with a wave or whistle etc or are they miserable whatevers?

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2019, 01:53:16 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for more great pics.

Just wondered, do the train drivers (engineers) acknowledge your presence with a wave or whistle etc or are they miserable whatevers?

Cheers weave  :beers:

Most wave, some even play with the horn when they speed by. The one in the last photo waved.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything