!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Surface mounted points motors  (Read 104 times)

Offline Josiebenn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Surface mounted points motors
« on: August 16, 2019, 05:57:08 PM »
Hi.  My largish layout has a few surface-mounted points motors, using Peco PL10 motor and PL12 link bar. I have removed the spring from the PL12 base. 

When they were first fitted they all operated as they should. Now I have noticed that 3 do not, will not, can not,  push and pull the tie-bar.  Nothing has been altered since installation. It’s as if something is stronger than the solenoid action.

Test set ups with old, and even newly PL10 and unused spare points on a dead flat test bed, will not move the tie bar.  I’ve tried packing the height, I’ve removed the packing. There is a CDU in place, always was. 

Is this a known problem, please elucidate, if not... any ideas?  TVM.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Surface mounted points motors
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 06:10:20 PM »
Any sign of rust on the actuator bar? Spray a little WD40 or a thin lubricant onto the bar - you don't need much. These days I use a spray PTFE dry lubricant from time to time.

Test for a coil shorting to the metal frame?  Years ago I had a few fail like that, it seemed Peco had left off the little paper insulating circles at the ends of the coils, this allowed the wire to be crushed against the ends of the frame, damaging the insulation and causing a near short circuit - result: much less throwing power.    I dismantled and added thin insulation tape to cure the problem.

Is the CDU charging properly? Check for wiring faults.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 06:13:12 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Josiebenn

• Awards
Re: Surface mounted points motors
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 06:30:13 PM »
Thanks for that.  Note that the actuator moves strongly both ways when unattached.  I have used one brand new PL10, so should not be rusty at all. Nor short circuiting inside.

The CDU is happily punching the under surface PL10s. It is happily punching 2 of the surface mounted PL10s.   

So....???   

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything