!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new livery  (Read 1202 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Pendolino - a new livery
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:27:41 PM »
Seems like First group have been awarded the WCML franchise and we may be getting Navy Blue Pendo's

So Ben & Mike, I had planned on a couple more 9 car Pendos with the Virgin silk livery, but now I'd be more tempted by whatever First group come up with.

Thoughts?

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new livery
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
Are they talking about navy blue Pendolinos? It's a joint operation between First Group and Trenitalia, and the DfT prefer white-base liveries with easily applied vinyls these days, so I'd not expect an all over blue livery any time soon.

Probably something akin to what they have now, with some variation of blue/pink/red/green swooshes somewhere!

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »
Nick confirmed. Railadvent confirmed trenitalia have the franchise

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »
The Navy Blue came up on RMWEB but I couldn't confirm it.

Either way the Virgin branding will be disappearing.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »
Nick confirmed. Railadvent confirmed trenitalia have the franchise

Yes I know, but that's not the same as "the Pendolinos are going to be painted blue", indeed given Trenitalia are a state-owned Italian company I can't see they'd want blue trains :)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 08:51:24 AM »
Hi all,

I don't have any more information than in the public domain, but the Pendolinos are going through a costly full exterior repaint right now - down to bare metal - and are coming out in pale grey with a black roof.

This is not unlike the livery applied to the Class 700 units and others recently.

The Virgin flowing silk branding is a vinyl on the driving cars only.

First/Trenitalia have said they are spending several million on the Pendolino fleet but that this will be an interior refurb, which they do need.

Putting all that together, I reckon the rebrand will be limited to new vinyls on the driving cars (possibly dark blue/orange as those are the colours on the new website)  and maybe branding on the intermediate vehicles, but remaining predominantly black/pale grey.

F-T take over in December, and I suspect the flowing silk livery will be around for at least another year or two beyond that.  And there are still a few Pendos running around in the original livery!

We are still planning on offering a couple of flowing silk and original livery sets very soon.  Once we know what F-T are doing then we may look at another run in their colours.

Cheers

Ben A.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:52:51 AM by Ben A »

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »
Thanks Ben. And bugger. Thatís another few hundred £ of my money heading your way, I looked how much I have on back ordered yesterday and my eyes started watering... rakes of hoppers, sturgeons, Car transporters, class 92s ..
I just hope some arrive soon before I rack up more orders  :D

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 11:03:41 AM »
Awesome order there!

We're going to see them all on your layout, then?   ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »
Thanks Ben. And bugger.

Is this a new member of the Revolution staff we don't know about  :D

My thoughts on the new livery is there is lots of time as the new livery might be a pigs ear.

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
Nah def not staff just thanking Ben for his update. I just have an illness a bit like Touretteís, every time they launch a new item I have to keep hitting the buy button.
As for seeing them, wish I could but Ive only got as far as putting some floor boards down in the loft, and a length of track about 6m in a straight line. Still not sure I needed 29 class bís either. Or the 10 cargo wagons. Or the 21 kfaís  or 1 surgeons. Or the 21 IOA. Or 10 IPAOr 3 pendolino but will still buy some in other liveryís as an when. I also forgot Iíd ordered a couple of class 56 steam locos too. And a trans pennine rake of Mark 5ís. Undecided do I need a Stobart class 92? Or a Caledonian 92 but the hat would mean another rake of mk5ís....

Must stop buying rolling stock and buy wood for baseboards and some track. I just carnt come up with a track plan that suits what Iíd like to have

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 11:54:54 PM »
As I understand, the franchise is 70 First, 30 Trenitalia. As far as livery goes, First are well known for their "House" colours. Trenitalia have so many different liveries it would be difficult to speculate. The DfT may well have followed the Scottish Government example of specifying base colours with some operator statement or maybe as indicated by others a front and rear end statement with something homogenous in the middle.

Personally, I'm not bothered unless they have through sets running up the Scottish Central Main Line which may be a possibility if they revive The Clansman to Inverness?

I dare say I will be a passenger at some time, but not a paying one!
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »
With all recent franchise awards - TPE, Northern, East Midlands, South-West Trains, etc - DfT have strongly encouraged branding which isn't tied to the operator's corporate identity. I would therefore be very surprised if the First corporate colours were used here. SWT is a recent First franchise, and doesn't use First branding, and GWR is moving to green in place of First colours, despite currently still being operated by First (as it has been for many years).

Given that the Pendolinos are going through a full repaint at the moment into a white / very light grey colour, I would expect this to be retained with just branding vinyls.

It's also worth considering that assuming HS2 does go ahead, the branding will be used there too and DfT (or whatever body replaces it if the Williams review is followed through) is very much going to want the kudos of this project for itself, so won't want corporate brands prominently displayed.

On the plus side, the new operator is apparently planning to replace the awful seats. Shame they can't do anything about the 'porthole sized' windows!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:43:50 PM by davidinyork »

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »
Given First's seat specs on other services I'm not holding out any hope that any seat replacements will be more comfortable (Pendo seats are nowhere near as bad as many modern seats!).

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 06:07:18 PM »
Given First's seat specs on other services I'm not holding out any hope that any seat replacements will be more comfortable (Pendo seats are nowhere near as bad as many modern seats!).

I guess that's subjective! I regard Pendolino / Voyager seats as by far the worst in any long-distance train. The Grammer seats which First fitted to the GW HSTs are a lot better.

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »
I have to agree with David. For long distance the seating in Voyagers and Pendolinos is sub-optimal. I do not know what the seats are like in the 800 series.

Most new commuter services have ironing board seating.

I have to say that the most comfortable seating is in Mk4 and HST stock.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal