!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR Platform Canopies and Buildings  (Read 624 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: GWR Platform Canopies and Buildings
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 06:40:56 AM »
Chris, I don't even know what a 10 inch gauge Big Boy is!
Big Boy was a massive freight loco built by Union Pacific.  You can read about it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Big_Boy
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 06:04:36 PM »
I grew up Blytheville, Arkansas watching steam locomotives pulling both passenger and freight trains on the Frisco line connecting St. Louis and New Orleans and in Laurel, Mississippi on the Southern Railway line connecting New York with New Orleans. In the 1940s and 50s, there was lots of railway traffic to observe, but I was too young or insufficiently interested to know one locomotive from another. No one was oblivious to trains, however, and I can remember standing on the platform at the Blytheville stations in the mid-1950s chatting with the driver of a new Frisco streamlined diesel pulling a passenger train bound for New Orleans. I also remember watching the freight trains in Laurel during the Korean War bound for the Gulf Coast with military loads including many heavy tanks. I also recall a train trip between Laurel and Blytheville during WWII. But, I digress from my own topic to comment on American steam locomotion which, as in the U. K., varied considerably from region to region. I'd never heard of the "Big Boy" locomotive before seeing Chris' reference to it, but I took a look at Laurence's link to Wikipedia and a photograph of that locomotive. Quite a machine it was!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
It is held by many to be the BIGGEST in the world. Could pull mile-long coal drags in it's time. Fancy building one of those in 10 inch gauge. I know people have. We had a line in Cornwall at Dobwalls where a number of US steamers were built in 10 inch gauge. Sadly the line has gone but I did get a ride on it some years ago. Can't remember who bought the stock - somewhere in Kent of thereabouts. It certainly wasn't me!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »
I found a source for the platform canopy that would probably satisfy my need and come close to the prototype at Westbury - however, I just discovered yesterday that Scalescenes has recently released a new kit even closer to the Westbury prototype - https://scalescenes.com/product/r004a-island-platform-building/. Their kits are downloadable for printing, which will be a new challenge for me but I think that's the way I'll go. Westbury, from early days, has had fairly extensive red brick buildings on both of their platforms. The photographs of the Scalescene model look really good and I'll shift to that project soon. I'm presently completing my tunnel under the road in the lower right quadrant of my layout which will require moving the tracks to the goods station a little. When that task and the rail re-alignment for the engine shed and coaling station (tracks on order from Hatton's) is complete, I'll build my signal boxes and the remainder of the road bridges across the station yard. The layout is beginning to show a little character! Follow this link for a track layout including the recent alterations - https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Z3fdna7KiTihzfb6 .

I posted the above quote on my Wiltsbury Junction thread in response to an update request. I'll be interested in any comments from those who have looked at this thread - especially those who made suggestions. I think the Scalescenes kit is the right solution, and if I don't get a better suggestion soon I'll proceed with the Scalescenes Island Platform Building kit.

Leon
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:33:17 PM by Leon, Reason: Additional info »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »
That looks good Leon.
You might need to paint the green doors brown though.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 09:38:25 PM »
Leon, from experience I can tell you that Scalescenes kits can be challenging. I've started many, finished very few - more frustration than fun for me. I'd recommend trying one of his free kits before committing money. :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 07:17:24 PM »
That looks good Leon.
You might need to paint the green doors brown though.

Martin, maintenance was out of brown paint so they just used some green livery paint!  :laugh:

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 02:33:13 AM »
Leon, from experience I can tell you that Scalescenes kits can be challenging. I've started many, finished very few - more frustration than fun for me. I'd recommend trying one of his free kits before committing money. :beers:

Railgooner, thanks for the advice but I don't seem to have much choice but to attempt a build of the Scalescenes model. I will take the part of your advice about trying the free kit first! It will be a while before I get to it, but I'll post the result of my effort here.

Leon

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

anything