!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Foam insulation for baseboard  (Read 244 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Foam insulation for baseboard
« on: July 15, 2019, 11:43:24 AM »
I see some people use foam insulation boardas a baseboard. How do you align the sheets? Any other tips when using it?

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Foam insulation for baseboard
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »
I screw mine down to the frame using wide pan head screws.

If you use a rattle can to paint it, go sparingly, as the paint solvent can melt the surface.

I use a non-serrated long blade knife to cut it, it was specifically designed to cut it.

The stuff I use (XPS) is 1" thick, so when I mount a point motor I cut out a rectangle where the point motor will be mounted and cut that in half length wise to make it 1/2" thick. I glue the point motor to the bottom and then glue the piece back in place using a Woodland Scenics medium temp foam glue gun. (No crawling around under the layout  :bounce:) I use Tortoise motors and I think Cobalts can be glued direct in the same way, for Peco or Seep style I think I would screw them to a piece of thin ply and glue that to the foam (maybe?).

For my lifting section or if your layout is going to be transportable, I cut away the XPS and srewed wood formers down to accommodate the hinges and PCB to solder the track to.

I also solder all the wires before I lay the track, although with care you should still be able to solder the track in situ.

Remember, don't put anything too hot down on it, soldering iron, cup of tea, credit card after to much use on the Revolution website, etc.
Actually a cup of tea is probably fine.

Regards,

John P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:58:11 PM by jpendle, Reason: Typo »
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 02:48:30 PM »
I use extruded foam for base boards. no frame as such required, but the foam base needs to be at least 2 inches thick.
Into each corner is inset a 1 inch square of timber, then all the sides are covered with 5mm ply.

I use a solvent free glue of the "just like nails" type (actually the cheap screwfix version), to glue the ply and timber insets in place to the foam. The ply is also screwed to the inserts. The ply is to protect the foam and take the tension of the latches.

Then adjustable latches to tighten each board together. You can use loose pin hinges or if you fit them before attaching the ply, nuts and bolts through the ply to line up the board to the next board.

Note, when I build a baseboard the ply that surrounds the foam also follows any hills and goes up high along the back as a back scene, no adding a sheet of ply or hard board extra, that just adds weight..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:54:27 PM by The Q »

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 04:16:26 PM »
I have seen some 50mm and 100mm thick. Does anyone have any pictures of their baseboard made with foam?

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 04:46:34 PM »
Take a look at my layout thread "Contemporary Northwest ( Wigan NW and Wallgate).

If there is anything in particular that you would like to see, I can take more pictures.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 01:00:54 PM »
this has several pictures of foam baseboard construction https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121291-atlantic-dock-in-7mm/page/5/&tab=comments#comment-3572043

maggie and gordan gravett's fantastic layouts are IRRC built on foam baseboards there is a lot about them on the net..
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:05:34 PM by The Q »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations