!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Problems with Peco Flexi Lengths N Scale  (Read 1071 times)

Offline stevewalker

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Problems with Peco Flexi Lengths N Scale
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »
I've used code 80 throughout (apart from a double slip) and found that Xuron cutters work well. I used code 80, as I'd managed to amass a quite large quantity of code 80 points cheaply over the years.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 03:29:14 PM »
Think yourself lucky you're using modern production Peco code 80!  The stuff they produced in the 70s had smaller weaker chairs, and that stuff really would rip out of the chairs extremely easily.

I do agree with the other posts mentioning that the Peco code 55 rail is much stronger due to the way the "double T" rail section is embedded i the sleeper mouldings.  I've used 55 on all my visible trackwork since the 90s, it looks so much better.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline QLD KID

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 04:28:10 AM »
Thank you all for your replies,  :thankyousign:
In regards to the issue of Code 80 sleepers peeling off when cutting/filing some of you asked how I was cutting the track.. I have only ever used Xuron cutters as I've found them to be very good and last well as a tool.
Recently I have been locking just behind where I am cutting or filing with large size pliers and this seems to take the pressure off the sleepers so my cutting/filing has improved by doing this. :claphappy:
Ben Arnold from Peco has been not only very interested in the problem but also very helpful. I'm sure he would be happy to hear from anyone who wishes to contact him about the issue as Peco seems to be keen to keep standards high. As I explained to Ben and what I must not have mentioned here is that this only occurred with the last 2 brand new, un-opened boxes I had shipped from The States within the last 4 months and I put up with the issue for ages thinking it was me being an Old Fart :dunce: before finally getting the S :censored:s with it and contacting Peco. Upon reflection :hmmm: Maybe I got stuck with a couple of dud boxes, I always was lucky so the problem is not wide spread to my knowledge but felt Peco had to be made aware of it incase there was a production problem. My apologies in not making clearer the issue as my efforts in posting are yet to be improved as my use of any social media type sites is Zero so please bear with me.
Again I Thank You for all your suggestions. Cheers  :beers: Denis.
Never take Life too serious we are never going to make it out alive.

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 09:49:01 PM »
This has been my first encounter with Code 80 flexi and yes it could be a pain in the xxxx for coming apart so I did use some set track curves before eventually learning to handle it, mainly by using guides. One other real pain is that, of course, when you bend a track one rail is longer than the other and you have to sort that out. I'd echo the excellence of Xuron cutters but I note there are two types - one designed for vertical cutting (top to bottom) which didn't work too well for me and one for horizontal cutting (which you actually use vertically to cut across the rail) which I find very good.
You might need to de-burr the ends to get the rail joiners on. One really good tip from a contributor somewhere on this forum is to make a "tool" from a bit of rail that has a "stop" about 5mm from one end (I used a wrap of wire and solder.) Slip the rail joiner on to this and with a handle of some sort on the other end fitting them is much easier.

After my experiences with code 80 (which really requires four hands) I think I might qualify as a snake handler!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal