!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 101 things to do with a Peco ST-7 crossover?  (Read 346 times)

Offline siriushardware

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
101 things to do with a Peco ST-7 crossover?
« on: July 01, 2019, 07:20:10 PM »
Playing around (as I do) with Anyrail recently I suddenly noticed that the old ST-7 diamond crossing is no longer in the Peco Setrack (code 80) parts set.

For a long time (decades?) this was the only crossing in the 'N' setrack collection and it was a horrible part which was not geometrically compatible with anything else in the range, although for a long time Peco pretended it was and even featured it in quite a few Peco Setrack plan book designs in which it simply did not work unless you were prepared to tolerate a hideous kink in one line or the other, a situation only finally alleviated when the geometrically correct ST-50 and ST-51 'handed' crossings were finally introduced.

It strikes me that many of us must still have a few of these abominations lying around, which got me thinking: What can they actually be used for? Suggestions, ideally polite ones, are invited. One might wear one as a bow tie if going to a railway themed dinner, perhaps.

I heard a story, possibly true, possibly not, that when Peco were confronted about the poor geometry of the ST-7 they countered by saying that it had only ever been meant for forming novelty figure-eight circuits, but in fact it does not even work for that in the pure geometric sense: Form a near-circle from first radius curves (7 * ST-12 + 1 ST3) and drop an ST-7 into the gap and you will still have to bend things around very slightly to line everything up.

I made enquiries with Anyrail about the consequences of removing this part from the 'N' Setrack set, arguing that surely this would break the relatively few designs which had been made using this part and saved prior to the removal of the ST-7 from Anyrail. It turns out, as most of you probably know, that the ST-7 was renamed the SL-393 and now forms part of the Streamline code 80 range which makes more sense as it can be used like any other longer crossing in the Streamline range.

I've been informed that Anyrail works with pre-existing saved designs incorporating the ST-7 by converting them to SL-393s as the design is loaded in.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: 101 things to do with a Peco ST-7 crossover?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 10:42:27 PM »
The bow tie idea is a good one. Dress it up with a bit of material, add LED sequins and an Arduino Nano or Lily pad, and there you have it - fully functional wearable electronics!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 11:53:03 PM »
It makes a nice scissors crossover with four medium radius code 80 streamline points. OK its not at 25mm track centres but it is geometrically accurate.
Bob

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 02:15:26 AM »
The bow tie idea is a good one. Dress it up with a bit of material, add LED sequins and an Arduino Nano or Lily pad,
add in a turntable motor and youve  a variable speed spinning bow tie

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
I've been informed that Anyrail works with pre-existing saved designs incorporating the ST-7 by converting them to SL-393s as the design is loaded in.
I have just opened up an old track design of mine and can confirm that this is in fact correct as I had an ST-7 on that layout which now shows up as an SL-393.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »
It makes a nice scissors crossover with four medium radius code 80 streamline points. OK its not at 25mm track centres but it is geometrically accurate.
Bob

Yes I had that arrangement on my teenage-years layout back in the mid 70s.   

I used to notice that the ST-7 had a tendency to bow in the middle, more so than some of the other Peco points and crossings. It definitely needed pinning down in the middle. I've not actually used one since that layout, though for some reason I still seem to have one in my box of spare track!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline siriushardware

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 06:34:10 PM »
add in a turntable motor and youve  a variable speed spinning bow tie

In that case I think it might be prudent to remove the fishplates first - you wouldn't want your fellow guests fainting at the sight of (your) blood.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 08:17:17 PM »
Sails on a n gauge windmill  :confused2:

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 10:34:05 PM »
Racing crossover to spice up shunting.  :D

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything