!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 6922 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2019, 06:28:02 AM »
that baseboard looks solid

It seems to be, but is also pretty light - in part at least due to the size, being only half of a layout as it were.
It's 9mm ply with 18x44mm timber framing all around the edge - plus twice 18x44 in the middle because the baseboard is in two halves connected with M8 headboard bolts (saves having to take a spanner) and captive nuts.

and i do like your ballasting work very pleasing to the eye

Thanks. I think I've done a better job on it than I did on Coniston, but that was my first ever attempt at ballasting so I am still learning.
I should have got it fully right by the time I get Broughton done, especially as I suspect I'll get extra practice when we do it on Haverthwaite at the club ;)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2019, 06:36:03 AM »
Chris. Practice makes perfect. I used a fine tea strainer to work a little at a time after my first bad attempt using fingers . The jinty looks the part. Did i spot wagons with robbies wagons?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2019, 06:41:07 AM »
The ballasting is great and I do like the backscene.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2019, 07:26:49 AM »
Chris. Practice makes perfect. I used a fine tea strainer to work a little at a time after my first bad attempt using fingers .

I use one of those drag-along hopper spreaders for plain track and a teaspoon for around points and platforms - the hopper's too out of gauge to fit along platforms. The I shift the stone around using a combination of a " paintbrush with the bristles cut short, various smaller brushes and fingers before adding the dilute PVA to stick it down.
I still don't have the bottle to do that around the moving parts of pointwork, for those areas I apply neat PVA where wanted, scatter stone onto that and press it in with fingers or a brush - it usually takes a couple of applications to get it matching the level of the rest.

The jinty looks the part. Did i spot wagons with robbies wagons?

If you mean the Trumpton rake, you certainly did - I saw them when someone posted a pic on here and just had to have a set as well. They raised a few smiles when I took Coniston to the club's open day  ;)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2019, 07:29:10 AM »
thanks chris

thats a mini tutorial you have just given in ballasting !!!!!

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2019, 07:33:18 AM »
The ballasting is great and I do like the backscene.

Thanks. Since it's a real place I really wanted to have the real backscene rather than an invented one.

It's just taken a while to match up available time with suitable weather conditions - most of this summer when I've had the time the weather's either been raining or too hazy and when the conditions have been right I've had other commitments. I was starting to think that I'd have to wait until next year, otherwise I'd be getting autumnal colours in the backscene and spring/summer ones on the scenery but I think I've just about got away with it.

The proof of the pudding will be when I get Coniston's done and put in place, hopefully in the next few days.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2019, 07:37:00 AM »
it certainly looks so realistic - did you need to do some work on a computer to achieve the result that you were looking for chris ?

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
thanks chris
thats a mini tutorial you have just given in ballasting !!!!!

Hehe. What I didn't mention was the use of a scalpel afterwards to prise/flick off the odd bits of stone stuck to sleeper tops or rail sides that I'd failed to notice before applying the dilute PVA -oops, I just did mention it  ;D

it certainly looks so realistic - did you need to do some work on a computer to achieve the result that you were looking for chris ?

Yes, it's half a dozen overlapping photos joined together. I brought them all into Photoshop as separate layers then dragged and resized each layer one at a time to get them lined up with their neighbours before flattening it into a single layer and touching up any blemishes at the boundaries. I then resized it to the length I required before cropping the height - as taken it'd have worked out at over a metre high.

I had to have a couple of goes at getting the crop right so that it would match the model scale. On the first attempt I included too much foreground and ended up with some sheep a scale 30' tall - I know I'm near Sellafield but we really don't have quite that degree of mutation around here  ;D

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2019, 07:58:48 AM »
Its ok chris. Look forward to the next piece of coniston

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2019, 08:36:52 AM »
Thank you for that fascinating update on Torver.

You are certainly making excellent progress.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
Chris. You answered my questions. Very pleasing to the eye

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »
Apologies for the lack of updates recently. I haven't exactly been idle, just spread myself rather thinly across several projects with little visible progress to report on any of them.

Woodland's track is now tested and ready for the proper wiring to commence. I finished assembling the control panel mimic board this morning.

In the meantime I've been working on the control mechanism for the level crossing gates and now have a working circuit such that when a switch is pressed and released, one gate opens, followed by the other. Once both are open, the power to the circuit is cut and two pairs of wires coming out are shorted together. Another press of the switch will set the two pairs of wires open circuit, close one gate, followed by the other and switch it all off again. At least - the simulation using LEDs and manual switches works, the next job is to replace the LEDs with the gate motors and the switches with reed switches tripped by magnets on rotors under the baseboard. I've made the chassis and am just awaiting more materials to allow further progress.
The purpose of the two pairs of wires being switched between short circuit and open circuit is for gate protection. One pair will be linked to otherwise isolated track sections either side so that trains cannot demolish the gates if they are closed for rail traffic. The second pair will also prevent the up starter signal being pulled off unless the gates are open.

Torver now has the beginnings of the landscaping, I've glued the bridge in place and started building up the scenery along the whole baseboard.

Down at the Club, we've finished tracklaying on Haverthwaite so I've been spending some time sourcing and ordering all the bits and pieces we need for the next stage - wiring it all up. While I was building Woodland's mimic board it seemed a sensible plan to also do the ones for Haverthwaite, since I had all the tools and materials to hand. I'll call in at the clubroom later this morning to pick up the switches that we have in stock so I can get those fitted and add the others as and when the postman drops them off.

In the meantime, here are a few snaps of a very badly iced christmas cake, purporting to be Torver;

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2019, 09:15:38 AM »
In the meantime, here are a few snaps of a very badly iced christmas cake, purporting to be Torver;

It's only ten weeks away!

At this fantastic rate of progress you'll likely be at Foxfield by then.

Torver is looking very, well, Torverish.

Great stuff.

Thank you and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »
looking really good chris

how did you construct that scenery please ?

mind you i did like the road bridge structure. cheers

carry on the good work anad look forward to seeing more
chris

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2019, 10:54:59 AM »
Thanks guys.

how did you construct that scenery please ?

Wood offcuts, thick card and expanded polystyrene sheet to build up the basic shape, followed by a liberal icing of lightweight filler, which will be sanded back to give a reasonably smooth surface before being painted green and having flock applied later.
It worked on Coniston so I thought it'd be the best way on Torver too.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal