!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 14616 times)

AlanK and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 06:51:31 AM »
Sounds busy what with lakeside. How are you doing with torver woodside and broughton? One chris to another

No further progress on Torver as yet, other than playing testing. I've been working on Coniston lately.

I've got the wiring installed and tested for Coniston's signals ready for adding to the Mk2 control panel.

I've also made the power outlet cables for feeding all power and control from Coniston's control panel to Torver's - Torver will also have its own power source and controller (if Amazon get around to sending me a properly working one) but I'm setting it up so it can all come from Coniston if I prefer at any point. I'll have a bank of switches on Torver's control panel to select which power source(s) to use.

Yesterday I got the point motor installed, wired and tested for the exit from the north end of Coniston's fiddle yard to Torver and started on the linking baseboard.

Annoyingly, I managed to bash the rail ends on Coniston's platform 2 road when I moved the baseboard yesterday so I've had to stop other work to remove the damaged section (including ballast) so I can insert a replacement length. Luckily, the damage ended before the power droppers, so I was able to cut the section off without needing to rewire anything. When I have that fixed I'll return to the linking board and get the two layouts working as one. Once that's done and tested I can take Torver apart and start on the wiring, fitting point motors, etc.

In between, I'm working on Coniston's Mk2 control panel - gradually getting all the wires attached for the various switches, LEDs and point changing studs. The plan is to get all the wires fitted so that I can just cut the existing wires off the Mk1 panel and attach them to the Mk2 wires, plus adding those for things which aren't on the Mk1, like the signals.

If I get bored with that "little" lot, I do still have a point to insert into the south end of Coniston's fiddle yard for the exit to Torver when I have the stations set up elsewhere than my spare room - and in the correct geographic order. That point won't require a motor, though, since it only needs setting once according to the layouts' configuration. I "think" all I need to do is cut the track to insert the point and move one dropper wire so it's at the toe of the point instead of the heel.

For the Club, I still have to get Lakeside's plan completed, enlarged, printed and assembled - then I can get on with doing the same for Greenodd :D

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 07:01:03 AM »
Thanks that answered my questions. Hope the signalling and wiring goes to plan and is not tedious. And look forward to photos of the lakelander if any. Trying to sort own sggnals when i have time

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
The Directors, Management and Slightly Portly Controller are pleased to announce that the inaugural train from Coniston arrived at Torver at just after 16:00 today.

It should have been at precisely 16:00 but the sparkie had to be woken up and instructed to locate and rectify the two wires he'd clipped on ar*e about face.  I would sack the sparkie but, seeing as he is also the Directors, Management and Slightly Portly Controller, that could be a tad tricky  ;)

The permanent way gang (yep, the same person - and, coincidentally, the same person who knackered it in the first place) has fixed the damaged track in platform 2 at Coniston so all can now progress according to some semblance of a plan.

This will commence with cutting the link board tracks so that it can be removed from both layouts when required and wiring in a pluggable connection so that it can be powered from Torver's fiddle yard. Once that is done, Torver can be disassembled to install the point motors and get the wiring put in properly instead of the assortment of croc clip leads that are there at present.

In between, of course, remains the little task of finishing and installing Coniston's control panel Mk2, plus...., plus...., plus  ad infinitum.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:28:10 PM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 05:46:28 PM »
Great to see progress. Must be pleased with that chris. Im no expert at wiring but how is the signalling progressing?

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 06:02:53 PM »
how is the signalling progressing?

All done - five signals all wired up to switches on temporary control panels for now. All five go down and up on demand and apply power to the track section in front of the post only if the signal is down - or if I've set the switch to a bypass mode for testing/playing purposes.

I've just got to cut a hole in the bottom of the main control panel box for the signals loom d-sub socket, but that can wait until the mk2 control panel is all wired and ready for installing, then I can cut the hole and connect the signals loom wires at the same time as I connect all the other hundred or so wires.

Likewise the power output cable for Torver, that's made and just needs a hole cutting for the socket and the wires connecting. That'll feed 12v dc controlled, two 12v dc uncontrolled and 16v ac into (when it's made) the Torver control panel so I can power/control it from Coniston if I choose.

The signalling for Torver will be a doddle - there isn''t any  :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:03:57 PM by chrism »

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2019, 01:39:33 PM »
As mentioned on the Coniston thread ( https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43692.msg588756#msg588756 ), here is an update on the progress on Torver.

The track is all laid, point motors and some uncouplers installed and all the wiring completed as far as the cables that will go to  the control panels and I am now into the testing phase.

Since I've worked out how to fit my lights above Torver instead of above Coniston, here are a few piccies. Because Torver is located across the end of the room, jammed between Coniston and the end, I'm afraid that it's not overly conducive to getting decent pics of the entire layout but here goes anyway;

A general view of the station area;

Ivatt 2MT (Mickey Mouse) 6404 is arriving with the local passenger service under what will eventually be an overbridge. The lump of plywood approximates to the platform and the two box vans in the background are where the goods shed will be.

A side-on view of just the station end;

An overhead view, looking along the length of the station site. The end of Coniston is visible to the left, showing how tightly I need to fit them in to get the entire Coniston Railway into the room ;)

And, finally, an overhead shot of the whole layout;

The lower half is the station and scenic area, whilst the upper is the modular fiddle yard. The latter is intended to fit behind any of the three stations, Torver, Woodland and, with an extra section inserted in the middle, Broughton-in-Furness.

The backscene will be located just behind the station building, probably a couple of inches behind the piece of plywood I put on to loosely represent the platform for the photos.

The four lumps of wood on the closer half of the fiddle yard boards are spacers, since the two halves are designed to stack inverted on top of each other for transport.

The turntable is, and will remain, unpowered since it's solely intended for turning locos rather than doing it by hand. To all intents and purposes it represents Millom, in the same way as the reversing wye that I put in on Coniston - except that it takes up far less room than a wye, and cost rather less than the necessary points and track for a wye.

The exit to Coniston, when set up at home, can be seen to the left-hand side whilst the point in the top RH corner will be for the same purpose when I'm able to set them up in the correct geographic order, i.e. with Coniston to the right of Torver and don't have Woodland in the setup.

The two schematics sitting in the middle are the first versions for the control panels, which are the next jobs. Once I've made those I can get on with properly testing it all rather than hopefully jabbing the probe at the correct one of a bunch of wires to change points. I also need to get the uncouplers controlled by switches so I can assess how practical it all is for shunting and sorting wagons. I've included wiring for another four uncouplers but I won't be buying and installing those until I'm sure I need or want them.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2019, 02:41:01 PM »
thus far looking good

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
Great progress!

I'm fortunate enough to know the location and this looks to be a splendid start to the project.

Best wishes.

Johns
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
Cheers, mate.

Since my post yesterday I've made a temporary control panel for Torver and the modular fiddle yard so that I could test out a) all the points and uncouplers and b) ease of operation.

From those tests I have decided that I do need the additional uncouplers - whilst playing with bringing a goods train in and shunting the wagons around I did manage to get the loco "trapped" a couple of times, both of which would be averted by being able to uncouple in a few more locations. The main problem is that, to be able to get the layout fitting in the available space I have had to shorten the goods yard which, of course, also shortens its runround loop.

I want to be able to do some decent shunting in Torver, otherwise it's a bit boring, with just a single line and single platform. So I've ordered the additional uncouplers and can build the proper control panels now that I know how many switches to include.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 04:39:37 PM »
re : the additional uncouplers which type you using please ? thaks for the update. from one chris to another

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2019, 05:11:42 PM »
re : the additional uncouplers which type you using please ? thaks for the update. from one chris to another

Gaugemaster EM1s, powered by 12v dc with the polarity set up to repel diddy little magnets glued to the underside of the couplings.
I couldn't get on with the bits of bent metal glued to the couplings so tried the magnets and they work a treat, provided the power supply used is dc, not ac.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2019, 05:44:26 PM »

Gaugemaster EM1s, powered by 12v dc with the polarity set up to repel diddy little magnets glued to the underside of the couplings.
I couldn't get on with the bits of bent metal glued to the couplings so tried the magnets and they work a treat, provided the power supply used is dc, not ac.

does repelling the magnet not lift the wagon off the track, or have you only got the magnets fitted to one coupling of a pair?

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »
Thanks chris.

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »

does repelling the magnet not lift the wagon off the track, or have you only got the magnets fitted to one coupling of a pair?

I only do one end of a wagon. It needed some trial and error to get the right strength of magnet (1, 2 or even 3 fitted), in general it's only the Peco couplings that I've fitted, working brilliantly with just the one magnet. Farish ones are more problematic due to the springs, I have a couple of heavier wagons fitted with two magnets but others do get lifted off the track with that so I've left them unfitted.
Some wagons can't be done, for example I have a couple of Lima box vans with metal plates holding the coupling in which messes up the magnetic field.

In all cases, where I've been able to fit a magnet I've only done it at one end of the wagon and marked them so that they get marshalled all the same way around - two magnet fitted couplings coupled together are almost guaranteed to lift one or both wagons ;-)

I've also fitted most of my locos and, again, the number of magnets required varies - generally one for Peco, two for Farish and three (!!!) for Union Mills.

I haven't done the coaches since they'll always be set up as rakes, so the locos can do the uncoupling.

The wagons that can't be done will be marshalled at the ends of trains, so that I can't accidentally couple a magnet fitted wagon end to a magnet fitted loco.

The only snag I've found is if a wagon has metal axles - after uncoupling it can try to follow the rest of the train initially or run away on the opposite direction, but I'll get the hang of it eventually ;-)

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
Well, the sparkies have been busy on  Torver this week, and the control panels for both Torver itself and for the modular fiddle yard are complete;

The one for Torver shows a loop around, in grey, because it's not always going to be present. That is the bypass loop for use at home so that trains can come from Coniston at the left-hand end, run around the loop to pass through Torver in the correct direction then carry on around the loop and off at the right-hand end to proceed to Woodland. Since all the bypass contains is two points I saw little point on making a separate control panel for just that.
What I have done, though, is to disable the point indicators for the bypass if the board is not connected - not much point in having an indicator telling me which way a non-existent point is set ;)

Just one bit left for the sparkies to do - when the last uncoupler arrives, probably tomorrow, that needs installing. The wiring is already in place and the switch in the control panel wired in.

In the meantime, the civil engineers have moved in. The uncharitable might say that that is because the sparkies have wired in a socket so they can plug in their kettle but if that is the case, they haven't been drinking much tea. They've already laid the foundations for the station platform and goods yard wharf and, wait for it, built a bridge !!

There's still more to do on the bridge, but that must wait until the embankment has been done too - and that must wait until little tasks like ballasting have been done and the bridge can then be permanently fixed down.

For those who know Torver but might be thinking "Bridge? What bridge?", that's probably because there isn't a bridge any more. After the railway closed, the council took the opportunity to realign the A593 along the old trackbed from about half a mile south of the station until just short of it. at the same time they took out the bridge, which used to carry the A5084 from Torver past the lower reaches of Coniston Water to Lowick Green. That road is now the side road that simply turns off the A593 in Torver.

BTW, the last two photos show my latest acquisition - a push-pull driving brake that I won on fleabay last week. It needs finishing off but runs very nicely with a second coach and my Ivatt 2MT Mickey Mouse" tank, both pulling and pushing. It's just what I needed because, after the old Lancs & Yorks Asspinal Radial tanks were withdrawn, the branch passenger service was frequently operated using a Mickey Mouse tank and a 2-car push-pull set.

It's also very handy because the Dapol 2MT (mine at least) seems to be very track sensitive, happily derailing the trailing truck at whim - but run at close to scale speeds having a coach attached seems to keep the truck under control, either when pulling or when pushing.

The next plan of work will probably be the bypass loop board, then the fiddle yard can be migrated to Woodland when I get the chance to make a start on that one.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:23:26 PM by chrism »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal