!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 24379 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
The Coniston Railway
« on: June 28, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »
As regular visitors to my Coniston topic will recall, Coniston is largely complete from a scenic point of view, with most of the remaining work being finishing off the electrickery.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43692.msg573010#msg573010

Whilst waiting for "bits" to arrive for that, I've been waving the tape measure around some more and, having ordered some of the timber and track to conduct test assemblies, I've satisfied myself that I really can fit the rest of the Coniston Railway into my spare room as well as Coniston - with just a couple of inches to spare on the longer dimension.

Since this is, effectively, a new project I felt it best to start a new topic. Updates will be somewhat sporadic at first since I'll be doing odd bits in between finishing off Coniston - i.e when I'm waiting for supplies or simply feel like a change from what I'm doing on Coniston. Hopefully I'll remember to post updates on Coniston itself in its own topic.

The rest of the railway comprises three stations;
Torver, a small single platform through station with a small goods yard.
Woodland, a slightly larger through station with two platforms, a passing loop, signal box and a smaller yard than Torver.
Broughton-in-Furness, similar size to Woodland but with a rather larger goods yard.
I won't be including Foxfield, the junction with the main line because, a) I can;t afford to buy the house next door which I'd need to fit it in, and b) it wasn't actually part of the Coniston Railway. Broughton was already a joint terminus station for the Furness and Whitehaven & Furness Junction railways, significantly modified when the Coniston railway was built.

Each station will comprise a baseboard in two parts - Torver 6' x 1'5", Woodland 6' x 2'1" and Broughton 7'4" x 1'6".
Each will be able to be backed by a modular fiddle yard 1'1" wide with 4 loop roads and a turntable,  designed to fit any of the three, or by a simple "bypass" loop board that either makes each layout into a roundy roundy or allows the track to be tapped off to the next station. The bypass loop is only needed for at home since I need to have the stations in the "wrong" order geographically and run trains around the backs of two boards to travel between two stations.
The operator will be in the middle of the combined layouts with the scenic sides also on the inside.

If I take them anywhere else, they will be able to be laid out in a rough square with operators on the inside and the pretty bits outside;

Or in a long line with the operators at the back and the pretty bits all at the front.

In both the latter cases, I'll make suitable "joining" boards so that trains don't appear in one station whilst the tail end is still in the previous one.

I won't be standing these layouts on tables like I have with Coniston - I've worked out that I can make transport cases which will double up as the legs, each one holding half of a station board and half of a fiddle yard. Depending on how many stations I were to take anywhere, I can probably use the legs that don't need to hold fiddle yard boards for the appropriate linking boards/spans. I reckon, therefore, that I'll be able to get all three in the car at once - although to take Coniston as well would need a van or second car.

I'll start with Torver and the modular fiddle yard, then move on to Woodland and, finally, Broughton. Progress will initially be slow whilst I'm still finishing off Coniston but hopefully I'll have something to report within a few weeks, even if it's only that the track's all fixed down.

That little lot should save me from getting bored - and hopefully for longer than Coniston has thus far  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »
chris

thanks for sharing your worthwhile fantastic project. a lot of layouts with a historical theme, interest take time in my opinion. we look forward to more.   chris

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 07:24:03 PM »
Many thanks for this, Chris.

A fantastic plan.  Seeing how fast you make progress, I expect you'll be at Broughton by Christmas!

Whenever I'm in the area, I fill up the car with petrol at the garage in Broughton.  Or rather, the very civil chap fills it up for me.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 07:37:33 PM »
i too liked the plans - except was one deliberately upside down ?

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 08:03:55 PM »
Many thanks for this, Chris.
A fantastic plan.  Seeing how fast you make progress, I expect you'll be at Broughton by Christmas!

I doubt that to be honest. Maybe starting on Woodland, with Torver not completely finished.

I've still got plenty to do on Coniston and I'll want to take my time over the baseboards for the others because they'll be both a lighter construction (i.e. not so over-engineered as Coniston) and will all need to fit together in multiple permutations of scenic side and fiddle yard.

[quote[Whenever I'm in the area, I fill up the car with petrol at the garage in Broughton.  Or rather, the very civil chap fills it up for me.
[/quote]

I know the one you mean, but I usually go across to Grizebeck (where the A595 turns off towards Barrow) because it's generally cheaper than both Broughton and Millom.

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 08:04:40 PM »
i too liked the plans - except was one deliberately upside down ?

Hehe, now I know who's paying attention  ;D

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 08:14:29 PM »
the plan marked coniston

thanks for an interesting thread !!! 

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »
the plan marked coniston

Well, one of them has to be when depicting a square arrangement to be viewed from the outside  :P

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 08:40:53 PM »
looking at it - the plan - can see why !!!

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 06:17:17 PM »
Should anyone have been as uncharitable as to assume that my silence for the last week or so meant that I was being bone idle, you couldn't have been more wrong  :P

Apart from attending to an increasingly demanding vegetable patch (must be something to with the time of year) I've been working on the control panel for Coniston, adding all the LEDs for point position indicators and preparing the wiring to link to both the layout and the circuit board full of relays to drive said LEDs.

However, the point of posting here rather than the Coniston thread is that I've also been measuring, calculating, remeasuring, scratching my head, recalculating, remeasuring and finally hacking up bits of plywood and timber for the next stage of the Coniston Railway project - Torver.

The multiple iterations of measuring, calculating, etc. was to try and come up with a suitable design that would permit me to get Torver, Woodland and Broughton-in-Furness layouts (when they are done) all in the car at once, complete with their legs, transit casings and the necessary fiddle yards. Assuming that my calculations are correct  :hmmm: I think that I can - just.

So, here are the results of my labours so far - the baseboards for Torver;

The baseboard actually comprises four baseboards, Torver left & right and the fiddle yard (everything behind the strategically placed ruler in the centre) left & right. The plan is that the same fiddle yard will also fit Woodland (it does, because I've also made the Woodland baseboards) and, with the addition of a 16" bit inserted in the middle, Broughton.

The fiddle yard will comprise of four loop roads and a turntable. The reversing wye on Coniston really took up too much space so, for 15 squids, the Peco table was really a no brainer. It won't be powered, just a means of turning locos without having to pick them up and trying to get them back on the track properly.
The point at the left hand end, pointing towards the edge of the baseboard will be for connecting to Coniston when it's set up at home, whilst the one partway around the curve at the right will lead to the back edge of the board and thence on to Coniston when it's set up somewhere with more space - via appropriate bridging boards in each case.

The same arrangement will work if the station in front is Woodland or Broughton - basically, this fiddle yard is for attaching to whichever is the southernmost station  of whatever configuration I choose to set up. There will be another, mirror image, one for the northernmost  station if Coniston is not included due to lack of space or transport. The intermediate stations won't have a fiddle yard at all. At home they will have a loop around the back to send trains off to the next station in either direction, whilst if I take them elsewhere there will simply be suitable bridges to link to the next station's baseboard.

If you were thinking that the legs look rather wide and "boxy", that's because that is exactly what they are - the transport/storage cases. Here are the two boards for Torver inside their cases;

There will eventually be two similar cases/legs each for Woodland and Broughton, the same length but slightly narrower for Woodland and slightly wider for Broughton. The length is determined by the need for them to match the height of Coniston on its table and screwjack legs and for the design to also fit the longer baseboards for Woodland and Broughton - hence why I've also made the Woodland boards, to check that the internal length is sufficient. There will also be a different design case to hold up to four fiddle yard halves. That's why I did so much headscratching and measuring - to try and get the cases large enough to hold the baseboards, yet small enough that I can get all seven in the car.

I still have to sort height adjustment and levelling (captive nuts on the top of the legs with bolts extending upwards as much as needed is the current plan) and the means to secure the baseboards in the cases so they don't rattle about or, worse, jump up and crush the scenery. I could also do with some form of bracing between the legs to both fix the spacing and give a bit more stability, aka less wobble. Wide plywood strips with lugs fitting/locking into slots on the opposing faces of the legs should do the trick and will, hopefully fit in the cases underneath the baseboards.

As if that little lot hadn't kept me busy enough, I've also been designing and assembling a kit of parts for the baseboard for the club's new project, namely Haverthwaite - before a large chunk of the goods yard got buried under the A590. This will be a 8'6" x 3'3" board in two parts with two 15" boards that can be fitted to the ends to loop around to the fiddle yard at the back. The plan is that, at an appropriate juncture, we also do Lakeside and, possibly, Greenodd so the loop board(s) can be removed and replaced with bridging boards to the next station in a similar fashion to how I'm doing the Coniston Railway.

The original plan was that I would cost up the materials using my usual supplier's prices and another member would then use his account with a different supplier to actually buy them. However, my usual supplier seems to be having some form of sale (at least, the prices were less than I paid for the same items a few weeks ago) so he said that he wouldn't be able to get a better price and asked meto  order all the bits. Since I needed to cut the bits to get them in the car, it made sense to assemble a complete kit of cut parts rather than cut them to fit the car then cut again to size.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:20:40 PM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 06:20:17 PM »
chris

the baseboard construction looking good my friend

what wood you using please?

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
chris
the baseboard construction looking good my friend

:thankyousign:

what wood you using please?

9mm ply, on a frame of 18x44mm timber.
To assist with levelling the boards when joining them, I've offset the timber frames and plywood edges so that the ply of one board partially overlaps the next board's frame. I'm securing the joins with M8 captive nuts and M8 bolts - actually headboard bolts, since that saves needing to use a spanner  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 06:31:22 PM »
thanks chris. i found a piece of 11 ft x 2 ft in my hardware store
the lad did a deal - just squeezed into the car.i have no pics yet
after the flat rebuild - the darn builders , expletive said, employed by the landlord shoved their tools without permission ( mine ) for storage and broke the original board. so a new one for 11 was brought. i did at least gain 100 back for their stupidity and moved their tools outside and had words.

your boards look well constructed. look forward to hearing more on your project

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 06:56:34 PM »
thanks chris. i found a piece of 11 ft x 2 ft in my hardware store
the lad did a deal - just squeezed into the car

11 ft long in a car? That's some car !!!
The most I can get in is about 5'8" but that's only flat on the floor and if it's not too thick, because of the slope of the front seats. I can get a few 8' lengths of timber in, but only with no passengers because they run over the front passenger seat.

your boards look well constructed.

I hope they prove to be as time moves on - difficult to tell, they are a lighter construction than Coniston but, if I'm honest, I did rather over-engineer that one.

look forward to hearing more on your project

I'll keep you posted. My current plan is to finish off Torver's legs/cases so that I have the design finalised and can repeat it for the others when I need, then return to Coniston. I've quite a bit of wiring to do, plus (now) the need to break into the track to insert points for the link to Torver, etc., etc.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 07:06:10 PM »
no its my friend 's estate car have to push seat forward , slide in from the back shut the boot hatch thing and once imin hold the board but im keeping my layout firmly at home !!

as space is tight and do not fancy moving it around. i just take my stock elsewhere if others' ask politely

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal