!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Future plans  (Read 22673 times)

ohlavache and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Aire Valley

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Future plans
« Reply #465 on: June 27, 2020, 08:30:10 PM »
I wonder how many people model "Up to the minute" as opposed to. say, BR Sectorisation...

BR Sectorisation for me and my layout depicts a 1992-1993 era.

The thing I liked most about the Trainload Freight era was that the different sector liveries made the locos look like they had squadron flashes on that were found on RAF fighter aircraft at the time. For example: Trainload Construction and 54(F) Squadron both had the blue and yellow squares....Anyone else ever noticed this?
The pools of locos had pride with their depot plaques and cast iron double arrows.

Keeping on topic with future plans. If I could have one model right now that is not available, it would be the TTA acetic acid tanker that operated between Hull Saltend - Baglan Bay / Mostyn / Spondon. A fine looking tanker!

Tim

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #466 on: June 28, 2020, 12:59:25 PM »
I wonder how many people model "Up to the minute" as opposed to. say, BR Sectorisation...

Sectorisation for me too ;) Shrewford is based between 1986 & 1989

Cheers Mark

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #467 on: June 28, 2020, 01:10:06 PM »

My modelling, in as much as one can call collecting stock for a putative British outline layout that, stretches from post-grouping "Big 4", specifically GWR/LMS, through to sectorisation with emphasis on "the 1980s". Anything post-privatisation is (literally) foreign to me and totally fails to float my boat.

(Give me a couple of years and I might get round to the serious business of trying to replicate the AC electrics which passed through Birmingham New Street and other obscure stuff).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:16:29 PM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #468 on: June 28, 2020, 01:34:48 PM »
Anything 1967 to 93 so end of steam, early diesel into br blue which I grew up with , however i did like late 80s onterceity, sectorisation . Like railsquid would love to see more than a class 86, 87 on the market with a decent 81, 85, 310 (am10 ) and 304 on the rtr market. But likely to be happy with what I have for now

Online woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #469 on: June 28, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »

The thing I liked most about the Trainload Freight era was that the different sector liveries made the locos look like they had squadron flashes on that were found on RAF fighter aircraft at the time. For example: Trainload Construction and 54(F) Squadron both had the blue and yellow squares....Anyone else ever noticed this?

Tim

Well something worked. I worked with the design agency Roundel on the project to create the Trainload Sector identity. The markings were intended to act as Squadron markings, though the name of the design agency might have meant that they had a leaning this way already.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #470 on: June 28, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »

Hello all,

I loved the Roundel freight liveries, and the squadron markings; possibly my all-time favourite.

Mike will know more than me, but I have read that individual depot plaques - in polished steel - were aimed at fostering a sense of pride and encouraging depots to keep their locomotives clean.  This was a big part of changing the culture at Railfreight.

Some interesting reading, including images from the original design guidelines, here:

https://www.itsnicethat.com/features/british-rail-railfreight-design-roundel-the-new-look-291116

https://thebeautyoftransport.com/2015/09/09/three-shades-of-grey-railfreight-1987-corporate-identity-roundel-design-group-uk/

Cheers

Ben A.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #471 on: June 28, 2020, 03:55:07 PM »

Some interesting reading, including images from the original design guidelines, here:

https://www.itsnicethat.com/features/british-rail-railfreight-design-roundel-the-new-look-291116

https://thebeautyoftransport.com/2015/09/09/three-shades-of-grey-railfreight-1987-corporate-identity-roundel-design-group-uk/

Fascinating stuff, particularly the blog in the second link, which has some other interesting articles on other aspects of BR design.

I remember being quite taken with the Railfreight logos when they were released, I think my ancient H&M Duette is still adorned with some stickers which came with one of the railway magazines of the time.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #472 on: June 28, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »
Totally agree with you both. I think we have our favourite depots, recollections of those designs and plates too. Can I just add this site with the depots which had which plate please ?      http://www.collecting-railwayana.co.uk/DepotPlaques.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 04:02:19 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #473 on: June 28, 2020, 05:25:34 PM »
The depot plaques were chosen by each depot workforce. Good that it covered all sorts - locos, wagons, plant. Carlisle Currock’s plaque appeared on Speedlink Distribution wagons, so appeared all over the country. My experience was that this was a successful motivational programme, and helped with a feeling of belonging to each sector and sub-sector family.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #474 on: June 28, 2020, 09:55:36 PM »
Incredible that sectorisation actually only lasted 7 years! Certainly feels longer than that. I really liked them, particularly coal and petroleum, for some reason!

I consider myself a modern modeller, but perhaps "contemporary" is closer. I have subconsciously found myself selling stock that is not quite as current anymore; I slightly regret my ratio of DB to GBRF 92s given that DB no longer actually use them on Network Rail routes anymore, even though that's only a couple of years ago!

Online Aire Valley

• Awards
« Reply #475 on: June 29, 2020, 09:43:34 AM »

Tim

Well something worked. I worked with the design agency Roundel on the project to create the Trainload Sector identity. The markings were intended to act as Squadron markings, though the name of the design agency might have meant that they had a leaning this way already.

Thank you, Mike. It was a great success and a shame it only lasted 7 years when it felt like much more. I gave up on the railway scene long ago when the GM invasion displaced everything I had grown up enjoying. It was that trainload sector period that left such fond memories and inspired me to let the memory live on through modelling.

Liveries come and go but nothing could ever beat seeing a smart, pristine condition triple grey sector loco, with shiny metal arrows, plates and plaques, working hard on a full rake of wagons. 30 years later and now serving in the RAF, I get that same feeling of pride with the aircraft flashes/crests.

Tim

Online Aire Valley

• Awards
« Reply #476 on: June 29, 2020, 10:01:57 AM »

Hello all,

I loved the Roundel freight liveries, and the squadron markings; possibly my all-time favourite.

Mike will know more than me, but I have read that individual depot plaques - in polished steel - were aimed at fostering a sense of pride and encouraging depots to keep their locomotives clean.  This was a big part of changing the culture at Railfreight.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the links, Ben. Very interesting and enjoyable read. With regard to modelling and future plans, it's great when something like the IZA and Holdall vans come along - an item that can please the Era-8 sectorisation modellers like myself, but also be appropriate for the more recent and present day modellers to use also.

BBA
Cargowagon Flat
OTA
TDA (white with orange band)
POA/SSA

....all spring to mind for potential ideas that cover a large time frame.

Cheers,

Tim

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #477 on: June 30, 2020, 11:40:41 PM »
This is a loco I am interested for the area of interest I am modelling.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal