!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Reviving old computer - PSU works but computer won't turn on.  (Read 358 times)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Reviving old computer - PSU works but computer won't turn on.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »
As a Mac user your best bet is to install VMfusion on the Mac and then you can run any Windows programs if you have the Windows installation discs.   I run Windows XP on my MacBook Pro for the same reason, there are programs I need that are not available elsewhere.  I believe this was suggested in an earlier post.
Does this software emulate the ports on a PC? Just asking for a friend. Windows XP was the last version of Windows to write directly to the ports and he has a slide scanner that only worked under XP.

It has to be a native XP, even an XP shell running under Windows 7 wont allow access to the ports.

Offline Gyppy101

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »
On my MacBook Pro I can access everything on Windows XP, running in VMFusion, that I can access on the Mac

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 11:16:26 AM »
On my MacBook Pro I can access everything on Windows XP, running in VMFusion, that I can access on the Mac

You cannot toggle the polarity of bit 4 on the parallel port  :) 

This hardware level control is used by a lot of legacy equipment.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »
Having reread the OP, I have a feeling that he does not want to muck around with the household Macs, but wants a stand alone machine for railway purposes.

Perhaps some clarification?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »
I use these simple PCs to run parts of my workshop. At 60 they are very good value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thin-Client-T5740-Computer-Pc-Atom-N280-Windows-XP-Embedded-SSD-2GB-Rs-232-VGA/323018824746?epid=14025075583&hash=item4b356c1c2a:g:-U0AAOSwv-xb6bTS

they also do a version with a parallel port.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:30:14 AM by Snowwolflair »

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
Also check thst the on button is actually working, with a meter.

Paul

how do I test this?

Follow the two wires from the switch to the motherboard, unplug the wires from the motherboard, then with the meter on Continuity (Buzzer) or low resistance put one probe to one wire and the other probe to the other wire at the plug, then press the button, sounder should sound or meter show low resistance, if not then the switch has failed.

If the switch has failed shorting the two pins on the motherboard should fire up the PC.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 06:05:29 PM »
Having reread the OP, I have a feeling that he does not want to muck around with the household Macs, but wants a stand alone machine for railway purposes.

Perhaps some clarification?

Sure,

Regarding the macs:
The Macbook dates from late 2011 and isn't in the best of health so might have to be replaced (hence not wanting to put too much into an old machine)

The other mac is from 2006 so is obsolete but handy to have (has full Adobe suite)

I'd like to keep as a standalone machine so that I don't muck up another computer or get down a route of setting things up to find something somewhere doesn't do what I need / want it to.

It'd also be nice to see what files etc are on this machine.

Will try testing the switch at some point this week, thanks all for your help so far.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
June Donations

Advertise Here