!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The end of DJ Models?  (Read 24369 times)

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The end of DJ Models?
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2019, 09:40:36 AM »
daveg,
B H Enterprises are producing the full range of the Silver Fox Models by permission from John  Hazleton  this does include a Baby Deltic if you are interested ,Im not sure if `Ray has one in stock at the moment as we have been at a lot of shows recently .But  he should have some in stock ready for T I N G S
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:05:27 AM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2019, 09:53:20 AM »
I think all of Silver Fox Models are 4mm.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Busybee

• N Gauge Society Number: 21769D
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
Silver Fox produced a N Gauge 66, which I still have.

Offline honk843

• N Gauge Society Number: 1800
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: June 23, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »
"I think all of Silver Fox Models are 4mm."

They certainly did two Baby Deltic bodies in 2mm amongst others. I have two of the head code disc ones which I got from BHE but are as Bob says originally from Silver Fox.

If you go down that road make sure you use the Bachman chassis rather than the Poole one which is a bit thicker.

Offline emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: June 23, 2019, 02:08:29 PM »
I think all of Silver Fox Models are 4mm.

Just what I read on their website, happy to be wrong.

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: June 23, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
Silver Fox started tentatively in N in about 1991-2 with their Hymek and Class 24 resin kits for the Farish 25 chassis. The 24 was very good, actually. The Hymek had thick window pillars in the front (for strength) so it never quite looked right. I think they followed these two with the baby Deltic. I had no idea they did a 66. Never seen one.
The resin moulds were sold to Heritage N IIRC, and I think they then passed to AEM (which are now called Leicester Modeller's) (with the greengrocer's apostrophe which really annoys me) and so now to BHE.
I hope this history is correct - its starting to get lost in the sands of time. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Best
Bob

Sorry about scope creep too!

Offline ECMLfan

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: June 28, 2019, 08:30:49 AM »
Sad to see the company go. It appears the model APT is just as troublesome as the real train as I had 2 orders in with Stanley and then with DJM...

I 'm confidant Mike and Ben will be able to pull it off as their RevolutioN brand is well established by now and clearly has a preferable track record.

I can only wish, ask and hope they will at least consider an expression of interest on their website for the APT as it would look pretty good next to the Pendolino's.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:32:05 AM by ECMLfan »

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2019, 08:48:20 AM »
I can only wish, ask and hope they will at least consider an expression of interest on their website for the APT as it would look pretty good next to the Pendolino's.

Which APT?. They have had an EOI out for the APT-E for a while.

Offline ECMLfan

• Awards
« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2019, 09:14:17 AM »

Which APT?. They have had an EOI out for the APT-E for a while.
The 370

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2019, 10:17:54 AM »
Given how little interest Dave had in the APT-P in N, I'm not sure I'd be picking that one up. Ok there will inevitably have been a "Dave factor" in there, some people simply didn't want to trust him with their money, but even if you assume Revolution could garner double the orders it was still way short of being viable.

Dave offered too many variants, but IMO you need some variation - as 14 coaches is too long for many.

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: June 28, 2019, 10:33:49 AM »
Dave offered too many variants, but IMO you need some variation - as 14 coaches is too long for many.
The APT-P was a bit of minefield with many different vehicles and it ran in many different configurations both in testing and in revenue-earning service. Finding a compromise that allows a reasonable selection of different lengths without becoming a logistical nightmare would be quite a challenge.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: June 28, 2019, 10:43:58 AM »
The full 14 car APT-P was only about 35m longer than an 11 car Pendolino - the Pendo has longer cars and doesn't have articulation. Of course the APT-P ran quite "regularly" in shorter sets. The level of variation in offering isn't too much of a problem as there isn't so much livery variation.

Way before DJM announced the APT-P a friend and I crawled over the set at Crewe to measure and photograph it with the idea of 3D printing it, then the guys in York got their 3D print on the way and other attractions took me away from the APT (mostly Pendolinos!).

The problem with the APT-P is amount of tooling and size of market - DJM had significantly less than 200 orders for his APT-P.  With the best will in the world that level of interest isn't anywhere near what you would need to make it happen - probably more like 1000 half sets as a minimum.

Cheers Mike

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #252 on: June 28, 2019, 11:06:07 AM »
The APT-P was a bit of minefield with many different vehicles and it ran in many different configurations both in testing and in revenue-earning service. Finding a compromise that allows a reasonable selection of different lengths without becoming a logistical nightmare would be quite a challenge.

Yes sorry, I only really wrote half of that sentence! I know the 5-car Pendolinos weren't popular, but there are plenty of very achievable shorter-APTs that remain wholly prototypical. I'd have been sorely tempted by a 7 or 10 car, but probably not a 14. I take Mike's point though that the variations aren't as awkward as with some things because of livery consistency. I wonder if a Kato-esque "base pack and add-ons" would be a good way to approach the APT.

All firmly in the realms of theory given the apparently low uptake, mind!

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2019, 08:32:21 AM »
Just received  my King deposit refund from Halifax bank. No questions, no quibble. Very impressed  :) :thumbsup:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »
You're very fortunate.  HSBC are refusing to refund my 2 deposits on the basis that, although paid as a single transaction, these were 2 separate orders, each under 100!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal