!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The end of DJ Models?  (Read 24629 times)

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Re: The end of DJ Models?
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
Interesting to note that their website is still taking deposits, should that not have been one of the first things the insolvency company shut down, surly that is now fraud?
Are you sticking by that statement - despite the fact it's already been posted and answered twice in the thread already.

Given that it's already been clearly established that Mr Jones' web site is NOT taking money, surly that is now defamation?  :D

Ok so just double checked and sure enough after going through all the ordering options when you get to pay it says

"Sorry, it seems that there are no available payment methods for your state. Please contact us if you require assistance or wish to make alternate arrangements."

Is not the same as we have gone bust so cannot take your money is it?
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2019, 12:26:44 PM »
Sadly, and despite a comment from me about personal attacks on fellow members, some seem determined to persist so I'm locking this thread. If anyone wants it unlocked please apply to @Tank

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2019, 10:18:15 PM »
Ive unlocked the topic now its out

https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3296156

However we are all watching (the mod team) personal attacks will attract a 24 hr posting ban...

Im sure once court papers are stamped etc more laundry will appear
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:19:29 PM by Only Me »

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2019, 11:45:31 PM »
Had a note from Digitrains noting DJM troubles and advising a refund of preorder will be made.
Wonder what will happen to my other 270 quid.
Ah well, take a punt sometimes ok other times not.
Would have liked the odd King though. :(
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline ohlavache

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2019, 07:45:33 AM »
I feel really sad for Dave. I do hope he will soon revover from this situation.
The photos I've seen of his OO models looked so great.
 :(

Wanted items (only in their original box):
- Union Mills, 3F 0-6-0 steam locomotive in LMS crimson

Offline Peter K

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2019, 09:43:28 AM »
Personally, I don't have a particularly good impression of him. A major model shop manager told me that DJ Models take your deposit for preorders and don't return it to you if it fails. Caveat Emptor!

On another note, Companies House still has him down as a 'toys manufacturer'.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »
Thatís pretty meaningless, one project failed that I know of, and Kernow returned deposits. Nothing else had formally failed once monies were taken.

All bets are off on whatís happening now, but what the ďmajor model shop managerĒ said isnít really true.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2019, 10:58:38 AM »
When Dave pulled the plug on the Class 17 my money was refunded instantly..
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2019, 11:09:41 AM »
Personally, I don't have a particularly good impression of him. A major model shop manager told me that DJ Models take your deposit for preorders and don't return it to you if it fails. Caveat Emptor!

I have made payments for the N gauge cl92 and King.
King - 50% upfront and I believed 50% when into production.  I rightly or wrongly believed first 50% for CAD and tooling.  Monies spent upto tooling so NO refund if no production.
Class 92 - 30 Pound upfront for CAD.  Next tranche when tooling due.  As I only paid 30 Pound and CAD produced then NO refund if no tooling.
If I can I will lodge a claim with the liquidator but I think the crowdfunding had risks which MAY have been understated or I placed TOO MUCH faith in DJ Models.  I believe the King said only order if accepting the risk.
In my view DJ Models were TOO optimistic and once monies for one model could not cover next stage, another model was announced and a staged payment was requested.
Revolution were using an established manufacturer / facilitator - Rapido whereas DJ Models were sourcing manufacturer.  In hindsight DJ Models should have "self funded" delivered one model quickly and proved capable.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2019, 11:30:17 AM »
Thatís pretty meaningless, one project failed that I know of, and Kernow returned deposits. Nothing else had formally failed once monies were taken.

All bets are off on whatís happening now, but what the ďmajor model shop managerĒ said isnít really true.

Fully agree.

Dave said to me, after producing several OO models for clients like Hattons and Kernow that he didnít make enough from these commissions to fund the core DJM business and they were more distractions although he took them on as guaranteed income rather than helping build the business.

I do feel he would have been better off if he had kept focus on what he wanted to do, but half way through his business plan the funding model was changed as crowdfunding became popular, and that I think was the start of the problem.
The reason the OO 74 was refunded in full was he didnít have access to the funds (Kernow held them in a separate account) but the refund on the N class 17 was from the DJM company. from that point on, without the wherewithal to realise projects from either of those dies, I believe the die was well and truly cast.

Bob

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2019, 11:34:37 AM »

I have made payments for the N gauge cl92 and King.
King - 50% upfront and I believed 50% when into production.  I rightly or wrongly believed first 50% for CAD and tooling.  Monies spent upto tooling so NO refund if no production.
Class 92 - 30 Pound upfront for CAD.  Next tranche when tooling due.  As I only paid 30 Pound and CAD produced then NO refund if no tooling.
If I can I will lodge a claim with the liquidator but I think the crowdfunding had risks which MAY have been understated or I placed TOO MUCH faith in DJ Models.  I believe the King said only order if accepting the risk.
In my view DJ Models were TOO optimistic and once monies for one model could not cover next stage, another model was announced and a staged payment was requested.
Revolution were using an established manufacturer / facilitator - Rapido whereas DJ Models were sourcing manufacturer.  In hindsight DJ Models should have "self funded" delivered one model quickly and proved capable.

Strictly speaking DJ actually took a deposit on goods, not crowdfunding. 

This is very important as it affects whether we are entitled to credit card refunds under the sale of goods act and other consumer legislation.

Best advice take screen shots of the sales pages on his website which appear to be worded in our favour on this.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »
It's a good job nobody died!

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2019, 03:07:07 AM »
So far! >:D

PS not a reference to Dave Jones.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:57:49 PM by NinOz »
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2019, 10:09:41 AM »
I would imagine this way of funding/manufacturing model railway stock is now dead in the water, I can't see anyone stumping up cash up front anymore. I guess the likes of Revolution will be ok but the "one man bands" i'm not so sure?

A sad state of affairs.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2019, 10:48:33 AM »
Having had a scare a couple of years back with Mrs (then to-be) Skyline and her wedding dress, I am now aware that Visa can assist in money being recovered even if a debit card is used.

This link may be of use to some:

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/chargeback-claims-how-to-get-your-money-back.htm

As to the impact on the wider hobby; I personally believe if anybody can show results, they will be backed. Revolution is of course sighted as a good example, but Calalex should also be recognised. I donít think this affair should stop new manufactures or market entrants.

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal