!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: V60 repair  (Read 184 times)

Offline RicardoFig

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
V60 repair
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:12:50 AM »
I am not looking forward any OBB locomotives, but that 4061 it is an eye-catcher for sure...  :heart2: :thumbsup:

Latest stock entry around here is nowhere as fancy: Minitrix 11469

PSX_20190511_005706

That Rietze van...  :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :zippedmouth:

I was not looking for another shunter, but the whole start set with the power supply and track included was on the Facebook market just around the corner, for a whooping 50€ and listed as "like new".  :doh:

PSX_20190511_005818

I am starting a small shelf scene so i could use the track, and there is always room for 3 extra wagons.
I got no use for the 360 with the DB Cargo livery (  too modern for my layout :sick2: ), but for that price, it was a fine candidate for my private railroad first locomotive for branch service, as i do miss using the airbrush  :claphappy: .

As soon as i arrived home, i tested the locomotive: no motion at all.  :thumbsdown:
I applied the 12v directly on the wheels: nothing again. Removed the wheels and aplied directly into the motor contacts: a big round zero.

Before the sale the seller stated that  it was in working condition, and already offered a partial refund, but I want to try to save the locomotive.

Any v60/260 owner has got any hints how to remove the body? On my blue unit I ended up damaging it and I still need to figure it out how to secure it again into the chassis.

What could be the cause?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:13:57 AM by RicardoFig »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: V60 repair
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »
@RicardoFig I love the current production V60, they make excellent shunters with an effective flywheel for smoothness.

The upper bodyshell has retaining slots at the outer ends which fit the black running board moulding, but ignore those (I've broken a few over the years!)   The actual chassis block is retained by protruding clips which fit into slots behind the steps front and rear (you can see them through the steps). The trick is to gently ease the steps away with something thin like a scalpel blade and drop the chassis block out.

This is an old model but the technique is the same for the current model.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:50:07 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:22:34 AM »
 :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

I do not say this very often, but i love this forum!  :heart2:

A big thank you! It tottaly works without any complication, the Trix manual is not clear about this.

I will now start another topic to not hijack this one with my problem.  ;)

EDIT: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45239.0

Thank you one more time!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:39:03 AM by RicardoFig »

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
Failing Minitrix V60/260/360
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:37:25 AM »
Long story short, my latest locomotive is a second hand Minitrix V60, that has arrived completely  dead.

More information at this thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19028.msg567887#msg567887

Following advice from Nick, i was able to access the chassis in no time at all.  :heart2: :heart2:

Minitrix 260 - Retirar corpo

My first option was to rule out a decoder blank plate problem, so i went for another from my first V60: nothing at all.

What can i check now? How can I apply the 12v directly into the motor?

Minitrix 260 - Chassis

Still regarding Nick's advice, this was the damage i have made trying to open my first unit:

Minitrix 260 - Encaixes partidos

I now see that both of the body parts should come out in one single piece, so it is going to be easy to unite with two drops of glue the blue broken body and then fit it to the chassis.  :D

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:05:41 PM »
Very brave of you to drop the wheels out - have fun getting them back in place with the wipers behind and with correct quartering  :D

Did you try just turning the motor a little to ensure it's not a single dead pole?

You should be able to get some power directly to the motor by carefully applying wires to the pins 1 and 2
 on the blanking plate (or remove the plate and poke wires into the socket), assuming the wiring from socket to the motor is intact.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 01:05:05 PM »
Very brave of you to drop the wheels out - have fun getting them back in place with the wipers behind and with correct quartering  :D

I already had a good time with the blue one  :D
But i did not want to have any chance of damaging with my clumsy fingers the connecting shaft between the 3 wheels (not sure if this is the right word).

Did you try just turning the motor a little to ensure it's not a single dead pole?

How can i do that? Do i try to move the flywheel?

That goes with the speech of the previous owner, a H0 collector, that bought this set to give it a go into the N scale: "The locomotive is working, but stops at all the times, i found it frustrating so i got everything in the box after 2 or 3 attempts 3 years ago and never looked for it again".

You should be able to get some power directly to the motor by carefully applying wires to the pins 1 and 2
 on the blanking plate (or remove the plate and poke wires into the socket), assuming the wiring from socket to the motor is intact.

Will try.  :thumbsup:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »
Very brave of you to drop the wheels out
... i did not want to have any chance of damaging with my clumsy fingers the connecting shaft between the 3 wheels (not sure if this is the right word).
It's not usually necessary to remove the wheels, it causes more problems than it's worth! Oh well, you've already done it  :D

How can i do that? Do i try to move the flywheel?
Yes, just turn it gently by finger. You won't damage anything.  If you still had the wheels on you could have done this whilst the loco is powered on the track, that might have revealed the problem.

That goes with the speech of the previous owner, a H0 collector, that bought this set to give it a go into the N scale: "The locomotive is working, but stops at all the times, i found it frustrating so i got everything in the box after 2 or 3 attempts 3 years ago and never looked for it again".
Sounds more like a poor connection somewhere.  Probably something simple, just need to track it down.

Good luck, I hope you identify the problem!

If you give up, you can put the bits in a box and send it to me - I need some spares  :D  :D

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
It is alive!!  :beers: :claphappy: :claphappy:

Video:
v60 revival

Wheels on, back on track, moved the flywheel and nothing.

Started to look for any bad or faulty connection, and the top contact for the motor started to look suspicious.
The board to motor contact was a little bit bent upwards, so chassis went on track, applied a little pressure on contact and... perfect!  :D

Maybe a drop of solder can fix the contact?

Thank you for the hints and the guide how to remove the body.  :thumbsup:

And speaking of spares, i found the remains of my very first 260.  :D Too bad that the old body does not fit into the actual chassis.

V60 DB Cargo vs DB
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:35:16 PM by RicardoFig »

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 05:39:35 PM »
Can you release the board, bend the contact down( clean with a strip of paper passed between strip and motor) then replace the board?

Soldering could damage motor ??
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/350436414753212039/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 05:39:49 PM »
Can you release the board, bend the contact down( clean with a strip of paper passed between strip and motor) then replace the board?

Soldering could damage motor ??
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/350436414753212039/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP