!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive  (Read 1993 times)

Offline AR

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive
« on: May 10, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »

Hello all,

With the SR Leader project soon to be done, I have embarked on another project to model an obscure prototype. As the title of this thread gives away, the focus of this project is the Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive.

I have started doing test CAD drawings (see below) and have already got these test printed by @Snowwolflair  and will post pictures of these when they arrive.

In terms of a chassis, I am planning to use the TM-ED02 by Tomytec. This will need to be cut in half and extended (with a new chassis frame designed and printed) and even then the wheel spacing on each bogie will be too wide. But, alas, it will have to do as its the closest match in terms of wheel size etc!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Alex

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »
Hi Alex. I'm not familiar with the prototype, so had to search. Quite an attractive loco. :beers:

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/reidmac/morant1.jpg
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 09:23:05 PM »
Wowsers!

That's an interesting loco. It is quite attractive, your not wrong. Whats the history of it?

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:41:45 PM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:49:07 PM by RailGooner, Reason: ADDIT »
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:59:50 PM »
Very interesting. I hate to say it, but I think it's a better looking loco than that GT3.

Thanks for the links.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 08:37:07 PM »
oooh.    :hmmm:

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »
Hello all,

I have received the test prints today and have to say the quality is outstanding (for which I thank @Snowwolflair ); although there are some print lines (easily sanded down), the finesse of the details is incredible, right down to the tiny rivets on the bufferbeam. I then sanded and primed the test piece. I couldn't help put a little colour on it, so the bufferbeam got a nice coat of red and the buffers a dark metallic silver.

As I can't currently work on the CAD, I am starting to think about colours and wheels. I can only find black and white pictures of the turbine engine so I may have to make some creative choices. One of the first colour schemes that appeals is the same as the GT3, a golden brown and green combination (a test piece of which you can just about see in the bottom left corner of one of the photos above). I will keep researching, but for now, that's where I am up to! On a final note, I need a pair of steam loco bogies, approx. 5mm wheel size, and wondered if anyone has any they are willing sell or knows where I can get some?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing your comments and advice!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 08:57:12 PM »
The RCTS Locos of the LNER part 10A has a brief mention of this loco, giving some technical details and the trials known to have been undertaken, but there is no mention of livery. There is a black and white photo of the loco at Haymarket West on 3/4/27.

martyn

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 09:17:17 PM »
Might the NRM be able to help with livery info? Even if they say "No" I'll bet they do so nicely and politely. :beers:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 12:09:24 AM »
Yet another wonderful project.  :thumbsup:

Hats off to both of you!  :beers:

Railgooner's Pathe link was interesting, showing all the complex "bits", but I really hoped to see it go!!  :(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:23:19 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »
Morning,

@martyn  Thanks for the info, I will see if I can get hold of a copy, the technical details may be particularly useful!

@RailGooner That's a great idea, I have sent a request to the NRM and shall wait and see if it turns up anything useful!

@Bealman Hopefully you'll be able to see it go (at least in N gauge) in a couple of months time :D

Cheers!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »
That would be great!  :thumbsup:

Hope you get livery details.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 01:41:06 PM »
@AR;

Don't bother to get the RCTS book; I'll try and put the relevant bits on here or via PM. There isn't much and the book is probably long out of print.

Martyn

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 03:52:36 PM »
Hello all,

I have heard back from the very nice people at the NRM and they have some documents/pictures on the subject. However, they are only available to view in person and, living in Cornwall, York is a bit too far away so sadly I think I will have to leave that aspect of research for now! In terms of livery they weren't sure either (unless its in the few archived documents they have) so I think I will have to go on what looks best (advice/ideas always welcome :thumbsup:!)

I will order the chassis shortly and once that arrives the CAD work can be started properly!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
Another very interesting project, Alex. I wish you all success with it and will look forward to seeing it progressing.

Alas, my wishes are far more mundane a B4 0-4-0 tank loco and a BR / Maunsell pull-push two-car set.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything