!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!  (Read 12886 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2019, 04:50:33 AM »
The Bealman accommodation in Kyoto was in the form of an apartment, and like Bealette's apartment, was well, tiny.

As it says on the sign, these things could be rented on a monthly basis, but I think calling them "mansions" was pushing the imagination a bit. The apartment did, however have a washing machine, so clothes were given a welcome wash - that's Bealman's washing in the pic above! Like what seemed to me to be most of the population of Japan, we hung the washing on the balcony to dry:

To give Bealette a little bit of respite from her cramped living quarters, we booked her into a more spacious place a couple of doors down from us:

I thought the name was kinda welcoming!

Anyway, first stop, Kyoto Tower, across the road from the station. The views from the top are splendid.

As can be seen above, Kyoto also has an aquarium, but having been to the one in Osaka, we gave that a miss.

There were all sorts to be seen from up there - including my washing! (to the left of the second fire escape)

But also the railway cutting it's way through the city - a Shinkansen and a local train visible here:

Some sort of large shrine located in the central area:

And yes, Kyoto also has it's own Hotel Granvia:

A thing which constantly got to me and was the overpowering impression that I took away with me from Japan, was the sheer population density in these urban areas. I did get used to it, but at times found it quite stifling. I think this photo gives some idea of what I mean:

And as railsquid says, one city sort of blends in to the next - that's Bealette's city of Osaka in the distance!!!

Anyway, we eventually headed off to explore further, but first we had to descend from the tower. I thought it nice of them to let us know which way to go:  :D

The plan was that next day, while I would go to the railway museum, Bealette and her mum would explore the temples and Buddas in those distant hills. You can imagine the walk to get there!

Kyoto too, has it's own version of the Shambles. Bealette was leading us to a park.

Don't let the kimonos fool you. Bealette said they were tourist kimonos and the girls wearing them were speaking Chinese.

On we went:

Until we arrived at an impressive park:

Which also had this prominent sign. At the time, I was able to upload this straight to the forum and send it off to NewportNobby, who managed to get most of the meaning correct, except for the first one - suggesting that you weren't to touch the coffins!  ;D

Anyway, by then it was time to head home. Throughout this day, I was impressed by Bealette's navigational skills, but she was a local, I guess!

She and her mum certainly did their best to leave Bealman behind on the way! By then me ankle was playing up - that's my story  ;)

Next.... Kyoto Railway Museum - a most most impressive new facility.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:40:43 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2019, 05:09:31 AM »
Tell us more about the UFO visitation in the last picture, I don't recall hearing about that on the news.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2019, 05:32:11 AM »
 ;D

Looks a bit like that, doesn't it?

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2019, 06:25:04 AM »
Impressive photos of the temples and the japanese version of the nrm and shildon.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2019, 09:42:05 AM »
Smashing pics, George, but, by heck, you've put some timber on. Those 'Y' fronts are ginormous! :goggleeyes:

that's Bealman's washing in the pic

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »
They're me shirts yer duffer  :P

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »
Must be an Aussie thing.

:P

I am, however, thoroughly enjoying the tales of a weary traveller. It's a fascinating insight into a country I'm completely ignorant of.

Please continue.

:thankyousign:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2019, 10:51:21 AM »
Thank you!

Railway content about to increase.

I've enjoyed member's travelogues over the years, as I see places I may not live to see, but with a personal slant.

@MinZaPint , are you reading this?!

I try to provide a tongue-in-cheek account of my travels to forum members. You never know, some of my pics of the prototype might stimulate the idea for a model!

But looking again at my pics and wanderings, I somehow doubt it.  :beers:

George
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:06:18 AM by Bealman »

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2019, 01:24:11 PM »
Hello George, yep I'm enjoying following along, Japan is a country I've not been to so your story is very informative. On another front your team are doing quite well this season. they played my pal Eddie's team (Portsmouth) the other day with a crowd of over 41,000! 4th highest only 3 Premier league matches were higher.
Best wishes  David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2019, 06:39:27 PM »
But it was a 1-1 draw.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »
George, just wanted to thank you for all the work you have put in posting these pics and recounting your trials and tribulations. It has been a fascinating insight for me and I'm most grateful to you.

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2019, 05:56:46 AM »
Very cool thread George. Love it.

I've always felt the need to visit Ground Zero at Hiroshima (and also Auschwitz) - two places everybody should see and comprehend the full horror of what happened there.

I went to Tokyo for work in 2010 and it was fascinating. Will definitely go back when Little Miss is older.
Still planning a layout...

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2019, 05:45:04 AM »
Monday morning dawned, sunny and HOT.Bealette and her mum headed off in the opposite direction to Bealman, to look at temples. Bealman had his own mission - the new Kyoto Railway Museum.

I had no credit on my phone (no Vodafone here, apparently), so no GPS (I was able to keep up a fairly current commentary to NewportNobby by posting stuff when I had free WiFi access). I had earlier downloaded an app called MAPS.ME which gave me a reasonable degree of navigation.

The museum didn't seem too hard to find, nor all that far from our accommodation...... WRONG! Anyway, a totally ill-informed Bealman set off...

First part, straight down a very busy main street:

To give some idea of the distance, the apartments were a fair distance on the other side of the Kyoto Tower, and I was only halfway!  :worried:

Plus, navigation was becoming more of a hit-and-miss exercise, involving non-descript streets:

Both the heat and my dodgy ankle were beginning to bother me, when I finally arrived at a park, next to..... the bloody Aquarium! >:(

By now, I was getting very uncomfortable and frustrated, and the signs weren't much help....

Then I saw a few trams sitting in the park a bit further on. Thinking that was encouraging, I wandered a bit further. Then, out of nowhere....

Dunno how you could ever miss it, though.... it's huge - multiple levels, it's own roundhouse with a fleet of fully maintained steam locomotives, and full connection to the nearby mainlines.

In short - Bealman heaven  :heart2:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:05:03 AM by Bealman »

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2019, 06:39:32 AM »
Monday morning dawned, sunny and HOT.Bealette and her mum headed off in the opposite direction to Bealman, to look at temples. Bealman had his own mission - the new Kyoto Railway Museum.

I had no credit on my phone (no Vodafone here, apparently)

There was, actually, up until about 15 or years ago, not that that would have helped you much.

Plus, navigation was becoming more of a hit-and-miss exercise, involving non-descript streets:

On my first ever trip to Japan (this was before even Vodafone set foot here), let alone I had a short homestay in a residential area full of non-descript streets, and as road names are not really a big thing in Japan I made sure to note some prominent local landmarks such as a nearby temple-or-shrine (I forget which), toddled off for a walk by myself, and on the way back congratulated myself on finding the temple-or-shrine, then was utterly baffled not to find my hosts house where it should have been. Because, it turned out after much sweaty wandering around in rectangles, there were two very similar-looking temples-or-shrines close by.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2019, 06:42:30 AM »
I had no credit on my phone (no Vodafone here, apparently), so no GPS
Before leaving the safety of the hotels free wifi zone download the bit of google maps your visiting , mark any places you want to visit. Just before your leaving the safe zone start the navigation to wherever your heading for,turn off the wifi and off ya go.The gps should work without internet access,and with the downloaded map you'll have an idea of exactly  were your lost.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal