!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!  (Read 12883 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »
Didn't see onboard catering... dunno if there is any. Maybe Railsquid can answer that?

There may be a trolley service, depending on route and/or time of day. The days of restaurant cars or even on-board buffet cars are long behind us. On the other hand you will find well-stocked convenience stores on platforms.

We just took sandwiches and beer on board, they didn't seem to have a problem with that. No bins though.... we took our rubbish off with us.

There's usually one in the vestibule area, though maybe not all trains have them.

Regarding curved platforms, the speed that the one's that don't stop come through negates that concept completely!

There are a few curved "legacy" platforms around, but the Shinkansen network was built from scratch so any curves are very gentle.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2019, 09:41:43 AM »
Thanks Ian. :thumbsup:

You've jogged my memory. I did indeed discover the bins near the end of the trip.

I also seem to remember a trolley coming through, but no beer on board.

As you say, the platform kiosks are very well stocked.

Thanks for that!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2019, 02:46:04 AM »
At this point, we'd had  enough of tiny hotel rooms and decided to go up-market for at least a couple of nights. JR have a chain of hotels which go under the name Granvia. Not only are they bigger rooms, but are more of a western type of hotel (and also considerably more expensive).
However, they have one very important advantage (especially when you're carting luggage around and you've got a dodgy ankle) - they are literally part of the railway station.

It was certainly good to have enough room to swing a Hello Kitty:

Here's the view - Hiroshima station with a departing Shinkansen in the distance. Incredible to think that all this has grown from total obliteration.

The room included this smartphone which you were allowed to take out with you during your stay, for navigation and information purposes. Bealman thought that was pretty cool!

However, the sign on the same desk was not quite so cool....

These two views give some idea of the contrast between our first couple of hotels and this one. Foyer:

.... and the hotel itself, which, in common with many major cities, is not only connected to the railway, but also has a bus station and multiple cab ranks.

We had a few nights in Hiroshima, so rather than explore the city, on instruction from Bealette, we caught a train to board a ferry to the island of Miyajima, subject of the next installment.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2019, 03:18:55 AM »
At this point, we'd had  enough of tiny hotel rooms and decided to go up-market for at least a couple of nights. JR have a chain of hotels which go under the name Granvia. Not only are they bigger rooms, but are more of a western type of hotel (and also considerably more expensive).
However, they have one very important advantage (especially when you're carting luggage around and you've got a dodgy ankle) - they are literally part of the railway station.

Useful to know.

I demand video evidence of you doing that.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »
A very interesting notice, George!  I should imagine it has been photographed several times.

I'm really enjoying your travelogue.  I was surprised (and horrified!) to see graffiti in a picture.  I had imagined that Japan would be a graffiti-free paradise.

I look forward to your next instalment.

Many thanks and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »
Just noticed NewportNobby talking in the Bodmin Road thread about the whoomp as two express trains pass each other.

Two Shinkansens are really scary!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:04:55 AM by Bealman »

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »
Just noticed NewportNobby talking in the Bodmin Road thread about the whoomp as two express trains pass each other.

Two Shinkansens are really scary!!

Should you visit Japan again, I highly recommend checking out this Shinkansen viewing spot (warning: turn down volume!)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:40:28 AM by railsquid »

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
I'm really enjoying your travelogue.  I was surprised (and horrified!) to see graffiti in a picture.  I had imagined that Japan would be a graffiti-free paradise.

Compared to many other countries it is. I happened to travel along the main line between Tokyo and Yokohama after reading your comment, and saw precisely two instances, one of which was actually the remnants of an attempt which had largely been cleaned off.

There is unfortunately a trend for spray paint vandal scum from overseas to travel to Japan, but the authorities are vigilant.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »
I hope that dude at the end of the first video isn't joining the current worldwide dangerous  selfie craze... let's see how close we can stand to a speeding Shinkansen....

And of course when it comes to graffiti, well I guess we'll ignore your avatar....  :D ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:22:21 AM by Bealman »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2019, 03:34:47 PM »

A certain person will get to know about your lady of the night unless money is deposited in my bank account forthwith >:D :)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2019, 10:34:19 PM »
 :hellosign: Excellent adventures George, thanks for sharing
  :greatpicturessign:
       regards Derek.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2019, 03:26:42 AM »
A quick word about our rail travel when we were there, in case any members are thinking of visiting. We got a JR (Japan Rail) pass for twenty one days, which worked out perfectly for the three week period we were there.

Be aware, though, that it covers JR only. Any travel on subways and local trains is additional, which you pay for as you go. However, there are the odd unexpected benefits. After a short local train ride out of Hiroshima, we were pleasantly surprised that the ferry to the island of Miyajima was owned by JR, therefore our JR passes worked on that.

Miyajima is one of those places like the Lake District - loved to death by local and overseas tourists alike. However, we had a nice warm day for the visit, and it wasn't too crowded. Definitely worth a visit, and, apart from a deer trying to nick me sandwich and spilling me beer over, a great day out. But more details to come....

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2019, 04:16:59 AM »
A quick word about our rail travel when we were there, in case any members are thinking of visiting. We got a JR (Japan Rail) pass for twenty one days, which worked out perfectly for the three week period we were there.

Be aware, though, that it covers JR only. Any travel on subways and local trains is additional, which you pay for as you go. However, there are the odd unexpected benefits. After a short local train ride out of Hiroshima, we were pleasantly surprised that the ferry to the island of Miyajima was owned by JR, therefore our JR passes worked on that.

Those passes are very most excellent value, a couple of Shinkansen trips and you've already paid less than the normal fare.

IIRC on one (train intensive) trip many years ago I calculated I recouped my "investment" by about 600% compared to the normal train fare.

Not available for those of us resident in Japan, alas.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2019, 05:18:39 AM »
Yes, we were very happy with them. The only thing which was a hassle (which I'd forgotten about) was they had to be stamped to activate/validate them at the start, and that office was packed with tourists like us doing the same thing.

After that though it was plain sailing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:20:46 AM by Bealman »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2019, 06:33:12 AM »
How did you find the japanese ticketing system and its ins and outs? Must have been interesting compared to the uk and its complexities, validities etc

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal