!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Train Waiting's Trains Waiting (and, occasionally, moving)  (Read 12941 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Train Waiting's Trains Waiting (and, occasionally, moving)
« Reply #315 on: August 17, 2019, 09:49:54 AM »
My 1:1 railway duties have given me little time for Poppingham this summer.  I was in Dunbar this week.

The works in the background are to do with the new down platform at present under construction.  This will save down trains with a Dunbar stop having to cross the up line twice, in order to use the present single platform face.  For a long time Dunbar shared with Lockerbie the distinction of being operated by ScotRail without a ScotRail service.  But now the excellent EMUs get an occasional trip to Dunbar in their diagrams.  The service is hourly-ish with one stop only, at Musselburgh.

I think the present-day passenger railway in Scotland is excellent.  The years of decline and make, do and mend appear to be over.  I hope this positive state of affairs continues.

Here's a little anecdote to help demonstrate my point.  I was discussing the new electric traction with a driver and she was ever so enthusiastic.  She mentioned with a certain degree of pride that she now had to be acutely aware of the 60mph speed restriction at the top of Cowlairs incline!

Dunbar is a nice town with a working harbour and the ruins of what would have been an impressive castle.  It has been much fought over, that castle.  It's peaceful now and I sincerely hope it remains that way.  King Edward II of England took shelter in Dunbar castle on his way south, after things did not work out entirely to his advantage.  Dunbar, like almost all of East Lothian, is well worth a visit.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: August 17, 2019, 10:00:04 AM »
Will keep that in mind for my next Bealman adventure!  :beers:

I love the livery on that train!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #317 on: August 17, 2019, 10:05:31 AM »
Thanks John,

I know the area as my cousins live in North Berwick. I've only been back once recently (must go again) but we used to go every Summer (just light rain  :D) when I was a wee boy for about 10 years running as they owned a caravan park.

My dad used to take me to Drem to watch the trains speed by.

Great days and memories.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2019, 08:12:16 PM »
Nice photo, John! I'll make it a point to visit Dunbar next summer.

I used the rails a fair number of times in the 1970s and was never disappointed. For a couple of months in 1974 I used the commuter train between Edinburgh and South Queensferry where I was a teacher. So, I'm unsure when the decline started (and ended). I've used the train between Edinburgh and Glasgow, a couple of Highland trips, and the Borders line in recent years and was very pleased with the service.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: Yesterday at 09:17:40 AM »
Here's another photograph of Dunbar.  This is an up Cross Country train leaving the platform loop.

The signal is off and can be seen above the rear cab of the train.  The signal to the right, between the OLE masts, is for the up main line and is, of course, on.  Bidirectional working on the platform loop means that the yard points are in the facing direction for up trains.

Although my present modelling activity is firmly in the steam era, there is much of interest about the contemporary railway.  I could, perhaps, be tempted.  And, without a doubt, British 'N' gauge is absolutely ideal for modelling this type of scene.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: Yesterday at 09:22:37 AM »
The overhead wires would be a real challenge John.
I wish you well with that venture.  :D
Martin

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: Yesterday at 06:54:28 PM »
The overhead wires would be a real challenge John.

I agree, Martin.  Perhaps I had better stick to lovely steam locomotives.

All best wishes.

John

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #322 on: Yesterday at 11:18:08 PM »
To paraphrase David Bowie, "Diamond Dogs Poppingham rules the world OK"  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything