!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Etched Wagon Chassis Construction  (Read 663 times)

Online Garyf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Re: Etched Wagon Chassis Construction
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 04:27:48 PM »
Thanks again Steve.
I've just finished the 2mm society test wagon (you don't need to be a member to buy these). First time I've used solder paste, which I quite pleased with. All was going reasonably well, not withstanding the axel boxes, until I dropped the wagon whilst test fitting the brake shoe assembly. I rolled my chair back right over the chassis  :censored: I decided to continue as it would be good practice, I managed to get the mangled chassis approximately back to shape, although the lower stringer between the bottom of the springs was beyond repair. Remarkably when I finished it did run ok on the piece of easitrack supplied with the kit. My only question is what couplings to use no how to fit them?

Gary

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Etched Wagon Chassis Construction
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 04:38:41 PM »
Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear of the accident - these things do happen unfortunately. But I am glad to hear that you managed to make the chassis rolling along the piece of Easitrack.

Couplings: For mine so far I've been using a simple hook and loop arrangement as most of my wagons will run in fixed rakes. These are soldered to a small square of thin PCB (0.25mm from Eileen's Emporium) which is then glued to the underside of the chassis.

However the fold-up platform should be sufficient for mounting a Dapol NEM coupling box from their conversion kits which is what I will do if I ever have one of these chassis leading a rake. I'd use an epoxy glue for these for strength but also to give plenty of time to make adjustments so that everything is at the right height and square.

Hope this helps.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything