!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion: Class 120 DMU  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Suggestion: Class 120 DMU
« on: March 26, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »
Here is another suggestion for a unit that I am sure would sell by the boatload on the basis that I would certainly buy one.  ;)

The class 120 DMUs were a fleet of 65 3-car DMUs built at Swindon in the late 1950s. Initially they were split between the Western Region and Scottish Regions. In the 1960s, 22 were transferred to the Midland Region which eventually resulted in the units being seen from Penzance to Aberdeen and at most points in between.

The 120s were designed for longer distance cross-country services being equipped with a first class section, toilets and gangways between vehicles. This is handy as they are equally at home on layouts large and small, rural and urban. The class were not significantly modified during their working lives. The main visible change being the loss of the central cab headlamp.

The 120s went through the usual changes of liveries over the years, starting in Green with speed whiskers before gaining small yellow warning panels. After a dalliance with all-over blue, they settled down to blue/grey for the remainder of their working lives.

Like many 1st gen units, the majority were phased out in the mid 80s by the arrival of the Sprinters but a handful of vehicles that had been stripped of asbestos soldiered on at Haymarket until 1989.

The 120s strike me as an ideal unit for modelling in N gauge as they were numerous and widespread (unlike many classes that tended to be geographically concentrated). They also changed little over the near 30-year working lives which keeps things simple. They were based on the standard 64' DMU chassis. Conveniently this is the same length and wheelbase as Dapol's 121/122 and also RevolutioN's forthcoming class 128 parcels car which would help keep tooling costs down a bit.

Below are a selection of images showing the class at work.

Shrewsbury 1963 in original livery.

A set on "home turf" at Bristol Temple Meads in the mid-60s with a small yellow warning panel.

A Scottish set on an Aberdeen-bound service at Tillynaught in all-over blue.

The final livery for the class on this set at Derby.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion: Class 120 DMU
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:34:54 PM »
You're not wrong Karhedron
 :thumbsup:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Richard G Dallimore

• N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
Blue and Grey WR Penzance option please.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »
I could go for a green version

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »
Me too 😀
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 09:51:46 PM »

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 10:16:51 PM »
good choice. i would buy one.

how about class 104 as well?

not to mention 105 and 117 which are perhaps more likely to be announced by the big manufacturers soon.

tim

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 11:46:51 PM »
I could go for some in early green becasue: https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/5807
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:58 AM »
not to mention 105 and 117 which are perhaps more likely to be announced by the big manufacturers soon.

That is precisely why I suggested a 120. ;) No point in proposing something which has a good chance of coming via a conventional route. The 120 is not on anyone's cards (as far as I know) but is an interesting and useful prototype. It was long lived, numerous and widespread. Only the SR and ER did not see them. The ER is well served with 101s and 108s already while the SR used primarily EMUs and DEMUs so not much scope for spreading them around.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 01:54:40 PM »
This is a good shout, as I've a requirement for two 3-car sets for Glasgow North's "Six Lochs" land cruise.

I'll take two.
PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.

“Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It's the fear of failure, but no urge to be productive. It's wanting friends, but hate socializing. It's wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It's feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.”

We're not crazy, or insane, we're just people living with a condition.

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 02:12:31 PM »

Me three

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 08:06:00 AM »
Reply #8, Karhedron;

Memory is vague as it was forty years ago, but didn't these work Birmingham-Peterborough-Norwich services in the mid 70s? I thought I used them on this service.

This link also suggests other workings to the ER, though allocated to Derby Etches Park;

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-120/operations-lmr

In which case, at least part of the Eastern 'saw' them, even if not allocated there.

Martyn

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:08:16 AM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »
Memory is vague as it was forty years ago, but didn't these work Birmingham-Peterborough-Norwich services in the mid 70s? I thought I used them on this service.

This link also suggests other workings to the ER, though allocated to Derby Etches Park;

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-120/operations-lmr

In which case, at least part of the Eastern 'saw' them, even if not allocated there.

Wow, you are absolutely right. Thanks for pointing that out. ER fans rejoice, the 120s are good for you too! Here is a set on a Birmingham - Norwich service in 1985.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything