!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bachmann US Outline  (Read 671 times)

Offline Staggy1970

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Bachmann US Outline
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
Hi All, I've just posted in the "New Members" section, but thought I'd post again! Last November whilst on holiday to Florida I dragged my better half to a model railroad shop called Gulf Coast Model Railroad (near Sarasota) has anyone been there? It's a great shop, my girlfriend bought me a Bachmann N scale starter set "Thunder Valley" is Bachmann N scale US outline any good? I was thinking about buying a Union Pacific 4-4-0 for a bit of fun, any ideas if there as good as GF. Thanks in advance

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Bachmann US Outline
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:44:35 PM »
I have a number of Bachmann US outline models. Not had any major issues with them. Actually I prefer Kato for my US locos. Smoother running and easy to fit decoders to.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 12:46:34 AM »
Hi Staggy

I understand that your trainset comes with a GP40. Here is a review of your locomotive by website Spookshow. You'll note that the latest version of the Bachmann GP40 comes out with an A rating which is good and should be considered the industry standard. Previous versions of this loco are not very good as you'll note. Hopefully, you have the new version.

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bachgp40.html

Here is a page from Spookshow that lists almost all N scale US diesel locos that have been made or are being made. Personally I would not buy anything with less than an A rating. You'll note that certain manufacturers have virtually all A ratings post 2000 including Kato and Atlas. Both these manufacturers produce locos of consistently high quality. Bachmann has produced some A rated locos since 2000, but there are many that aren't.

http://www.spookshow.net/locolist.php?diesels=6&nonbrass=3&sortby=2&Submit=Submit

Here is the Spookshow steam page. You can see that your Bachmann 4-4-0 rates C. I would go instead for the Atlas 4-4-0 which rates A.

http://www.spookshow.net/locolist.php?steam=1&nonbrass=3&sortby=2&Submit=Submit

As for whether US Bachmann is better or worse than GF, I wouldn't know. By all accounts, the quality of locos produced by both groups can be spotty so perhaps it comes down to individual models.

Webbo

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:47:41 AM »
Hello Staggy and welcome aboard.

I have a fairly large US 'N' scale layout, which is now in the doldrums.  Like @Malc I prefer Kato locomotives, which are fabulous.  However, Kato does not produce much in the way of steam locomotives (those which it does are excellent!).  I have a couple of little Bachmann models; a 2-8-0 and a 4-6-0, both Union Pacific.  Both run very well indeed.  I also have a couple of modern Graham Farish locomotives with the motor mounted in the locomotive, rather than in the tender.  In my experience the Bachmann US locomotives run as well as those from Graham Farish.

Incidentally, I never have had to return a US outline to the supplier; all have run perfectly from new.  My experience with British outline models is less fortunate, Union Mills excepted.

I think @Webbo 's response is very helpful and I commend it to you.  The website he mentions is a really good resource.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Staggy1970

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
Thanks for replies, the Bachmann loco I was thinking of purchasing was 51152 Santa Fe 4-4-0, is it me or do the driving wheels and coupling/side rods and the wheels on the tender look weird, are these models true to the prototype?  Thanks

Online Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:57:04 PM »
Bachmann Spectrum range is a step up from the bog standard and they do some really nice models and I wouldn't exclude them, currently they just don't quite match the Kato and Atlas offerings but as I said, don't exclude them, plus you get a lifetime guarantee with them.

Offline Jon898

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 12:43:36 PM »
Thanks for replies, the Bachmann loco I was thinking of purchasing was 51152 Santa Fe 4-4-0, is it me or do the driving wheels and coupling/side rods and the wheels on the tender look weird, are these models true to the prototype?  Thanks

Here's a link to a preserved one http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=878

These thinks are seriously tiny, so slight variations are going to be almost invisible.  I also depend on the spookshow site for reliability data and would recommend Atlas over Bachmann too.

Jon

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 05:48:57 PM »
Hi All, I've just posted in the "New Members" section, but thought I'd post again! Last November whilst on holiday to Florida I dragged my better half to a model railroad shop called Gulf Coast Model Railroad (near Sarasota) has anyone been there? It's a great shop, my girlfriend bought me a Bachmann N scale starter set "Thunder Valley" is Bachmann N scale US outline any good? I was thinking about buying a Union Pacific 4-4-0 for a bit of fun, any ideas if there as good as GF. Thanks in advance

Hi Staggy1970, Yes I have been to the Gulf Coast Model Railroad Hobby Shop in Sarasota, my in-laws live in Nokomis, not far from Sarasota. You are correct, the Gulf Coast Model Railroad Hobby Shop is a nicely stocked hobby shop.

I have several Bachmann Spectrum locomotives and all are good runners.  As for their non spectrum locomotives, they can be hit or miss. As Webbo mentioned, if you're looking for a 1860's style 4-4-0, I'd purchase the Atlas 4-4-0.  https://www.ebay.com/sch/19119/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=4-4-0&rt=nc&Brand=Atlas&_dcat=19119

Here's the Spookshow review
http://www.spookshow.net/loco/atlas440.html

If you're interested in a newer 4-4-0 American type Model Power is selling 4-4-0's that are DCC and sound equipped. https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/search?search_query_adv=4-4-0#/filter:custom_scale:N/filter:brand:Model$2520Power

And Here is the Spookshow review on the Model Power 4-4-0. Note: You want the MRC (2017 version that is DCC + Sound equipped) and has a grade of A.

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/mp440.html
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 05:51:57 PM by Rich_S, Reason: added missing link »
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
Hi Staggy,

What Rich says is pretty spot on, I have a few Bachmann Spectrum locos that are great, but Atlas and Kato are generally the normal gold standard.  I find that both these manufacturers are better than Farish (but recent farish is still pretty damn good).  I would really recommend that you peruse spookshow as others have mentioned, its and incredibly useful resource.  Be careful getting into North American stuff mind, its really addictive :)

Offline Staggy1970

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 06:30:17 PM »
You guys are so helpful and knowledgable. Cheers

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 07:13:40 PM »
Early Bachmann N in the 70s was a bit "cheap and cheerful", but it did work and was still better than Graham Farish of the period  :D.   

My first N set was Bachmann, bought in Fiji in 1974, similar to this one:

As has been said, the Spectrum line is better quality.

From what I've seen, the little 4-4-0 has the motor in the tender with a shaft drive to the loco wheels. It is a tiny thing, the pilot and tender wheels are so small the overscale flanges really stand out as looking a bit "wrong".

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
backy stuff is as reliable as other makes - the trams have tendency to split gears as do the Geeps and F units - most of to-days offerings are good runners and most come decoder fitted  (DC / DCC) some with sound - the 4-4-0 / 0-6-0 switcher / 44 toner / 70 tonner and Plymouth with slight mod will traverse a 10 inch diameter curve .
also of note is the US set controller has a AC outlet for operating accessory's .

for ddc link may still be available (2004/5 eara)
 http://trainweb.org/nrmrc/dcc/conversions.html#bachmann
http://www.trainbuddy.com/Reference/decoding%20Engines/N440.htm

I used train buddy to convert  my 4-4-0  - the chip is in tender under the logs , headlite (led) wires use boiler handrail's.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:12:42 PM by mr bachmann »

Offline Staggy1970

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 11:41:49 PM »
Bachmann 0-6-0 Switcher and Tender (Canadian Pacific) £44.36 + £12 p&p from Australia, gotta be worth it, hasn't it????

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
Bachmann 0-6-0 Switcher and Tender (Canadian Pacific) £44.36 + £12 p&p from Australia, gotta be worth it, hasn't it????

It really depends on when the model was manufactured. If it's a 2015 release, then yes, Mark over at the Spookshow web site gives it the score of "A". If it's an earlier release in the cardboard box, like the one I have, then it's a "C" at best. Mine runs and I was able to add a Micro-Trains coupler to the front of the locomotive, but I would say it's only a average performer at best. Also mine runs better tender first, which in my opinion is disappointing. This is where you run into problems with Bachmann locomotives. Recent Bachmann Spectrum locomotive releases are good performers, earlier releases are very hit and miss and many end up sitting in their cardboard boxes because of their poor porformance.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline D9020 Nimbus

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 03:02:24 PM »

You will have to pay 20% VAT on top, plus RM handling fee of £8...

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything