!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Regleun IV - A new hope  (Read 3152 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Port Regleun IV - A new hope
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2019, 10:33:27 AM »
Sorry, I prefer at the end. Looks more like a proper terminus. Also, you want to be able to see the boat.

Scissors definitely too much.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2019, 10:34:52 AM »
Hi Martin and NPN,

I know what NPN means but, Martin, do you mean right angles to the town buildings or to the ship?

Sorry, my brain is shot on a Monday morning.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »
Hi Chris;

Its the other Martyn;

I think the building will be more prototypical if parallel to the wharf, but it looks better at 90 degrees to the tracks......Google photos of Harwich Parkeston quay (West) (if there are any-I'll have a look) which was used for the day service to Hook of Holland; part of the 'shed' was used for passenger Customs/Immigration clearance, and another part for freight clearance and sorting.

The Crossing ship hull looks good for a start for the big ferry; main change needs to be overall height and the navigating bridge.

Best wishes on a long and interesting project!

Martyn

Later-I can only find one photo of Parkeston (West) on Google......I'm fairly sure Dover (Marine) was also parallel to the quay, and I know Hook of Holland was. It saved passengers walking the length of the quay, through the terminus, and then back along the platform to the train; one just went in the 'shed' about half way along the quay, cleared Customs and Immigration, and then came out half way along the platform for the train. This also saved a small amount of time between arrival and departure of the ship or train, depending on which way the sailing was (in or out bound).

Martyn

Even later-Weymouth and  Folkestone also seem to be parallel to the quay....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 11:07:59 AM by martyn, Reason: extra information »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2019, 12:07:24 PM »
Hi Chris

Sorry for the confusion.

My preference is as in the 4th photo ie parallel to the town buildings.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2019, 12:42:19 PM »
Hi there!  :wave:

For what it's worth, I like this arrangement best ...

... also thought the station would look better as in the new pics with a frontage for buses and taxis, car park, etc. rather than the tracks just stopping to nothing.

20190609_214018 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_213931 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Feeling more prototypical to me and gives both the line and road from the station (pic 213931) somewhere to go.
As ever I'm lurking on the forum, and watching with interest.

Cheers  :beers:

Online martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »
Further thoughts;

It seems to me that there are two types of passengers needing to be dealt with.

The 'locals' who need to have end platform access to the town streets, and the ferry passengers who need to get to the trains from the ship (and vice versa) as easily as possible.

For the locals, the main terminus building at the end is most logical; and this would sit most easily for the offices and other needs of the railway and its staff.  May I suggest a second building parallel to the quay for the transit passengers? It needn't be more than one storey high, nor particularly long, and therefore one should be able to see the cross channel ferry over the roof of the transit 'shed'.

Martyn

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2019, 03:33:02 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for all the replies. I keep changing my mind but looking at it again I do like the terminus look and it allows more tracks as well.

Thanks Martyn for mentioning the ferry height. I was going to build it as is but remember it would look wrong in height even for Rule One (maybe?). I might practice on the damaged one before attempting to lose a deck which is what I think you're suggesting. You could always have a big fall out with everyone at James St. and come and do some work for me  ;)  :D. Just bought some Maryland Cookies but I can get whatever you want :).

Can't seem to post pics of the model so this is a R/C version of my 1/150 scale model so you know what I'm talking about......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ap8Sxdr_5k

Back to the station, I think a few more house buildings to the left would keep it in symmetry and look better with another corner one opposite the corner one that's there for road access. I can't afford loads of buildings so the branch line to the left will mainly have a wall behind with shrubs behind that and rocked sea wall in front.

I'll stop rambling now. Few more pics from yesterday soon.

Cheers again weave  :beers:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2019, 03:35:47 PM »
Hi again Martyn,

Sorry, posted before I read your last message. Good idea, will have a think.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2019, 04:13:23 PM »
Argh, my brain hurts...  :uneasy:

For what itís worth Iím with GreyWolf regarding building orientation.

Nice ferry.  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2019, 04:30:07 PM »
Argh, my brain hurts...  :uneasy:

For what itís worth Iím with GreyWolf regarding building orientation.

Nice ferry.  :beers:
Just to be clear, thatís my choice too.
How about a small embarkation waiting room alongside the ship acting as a shelter for passengers?
Then a little covered walkway running along the harbour dge down to the station?

Ok, Iím over complicating things. Itís not me who has to build it  :D  I shall get my coat and hat.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »
Chris;

This is a link to Parkeston west;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264250643771

Because of its width, it is equivalent to two stories high.

I would think that it would be a relatively (!) easy to scratchbuild a single storey, narrower version, similar to the smaller huts in the foreground.

Note that the crossover leads to tracks on the quay face for transit cargo, which may be applicable to your trackplan, and the twin track leads to the carriage sidings (and Parkeston Quay main station and loco shed).

HTH (or not?)

Any biscuits would do...Ö...

Martyn

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2019, 08:24:15 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks again for further replies. I think the terminus building at the track end with some sort of smaller quayside building is the way to go.

I don't think scratchbuilding it is for me but will keep an eye out for something suitable to buy.

Few more pics from Sunday....

Not sure if the CIWL British loading gauge coaches for the train ferry are still in Oostende under repair, @Chris in Prague, but here are some pics of test trials. Oostende looks a bit like Port Regleun to the untrained eye  ;)....

20190609_212626 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_213747 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_212658 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_213630 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

In the meantime, the 'Le Cote d'Argent' is still running a night CIWL Wagon Lits service from Bordeaux for daytime foot passengers only to West Porthsea Quay. Six coaches have already been taken to the port du Nord for the ferry to Cornwall. At the port du Sud the CIWL restaurant car is taken off to be restocked and the two sleeping cars for passengers awaiting the late departure of the Channel Island ferry are allowed to remain so the 231 loco has to run around to refuel and water before the arrival of a special pilgrim train from Rome with passengers for the Ile d'Er Lannic (holy island) ferry......

20190609_214824 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_214904 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_214919 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_214926 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_215006 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

150x in charge of the pilgrim train....

20190609_215835 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_215844 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_215853 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190609_220002 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Flickr has just gone mad on me for some reason so will leave it there. Not great pics anyway.

Thanks for watching and hopefully some progress on the layout in the next few weeks.

Also must do some '80s/'90s pics soon too.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:28:58 PM by weave »

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2019, 08:30:10 PM »
Chris, if you could stick temporary backscenes on each of the corner walls it would help me to get a better feel about what you're aiming for.

With the just the bare walls it's difficult for me to imagine what lies beyond the edges of the layout.

Best regards,

Joe

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2019, 09:04:08 PM »
Hi Joe,

Well, there lies another problem in that it's not that I hadn't thought things through, it's just that I wanted to get trains up and running and so basically I haven't thought things through  :D.

The layout is chest high so I'm thinking a wall on the layout in front of the house wall between the two alcoves with a track behind it giving the impression of the sea and quay behind.

I dunno. Something will hopefully come to me.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2019, 09:26:33 PM »
Hi again,

The other plan was to have a tall wall around the protruding house wall with land there meaning the ferry would be in an enclosed port basin (it's in some sort of port basin anyway as the tide will be lower at the front). This was the original plan when the ferry was just going to be a smaller one.

It might work, it'll just be a tight turn for the ferry with lots of poetic licence as it's too long to moor at 90 degrees. Possibly at an angle but still very tight.

Another sleepless night  :doh:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything