!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Please help me signal my layout  (Read 1584 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Please help me signal my layout
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
The halton curve chord linking Chester to liverpool

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
If its Helsby...

Thank you very much for this.  I don't know much about the Birkenhead Joint.

But with your kind guidance as to the location, I have found the signalling diagram:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4761/40305624151_e44c1a56b1_b.jpg

I am relieved to see that there is indeed a signal in advance, after the trailing crossover.

An interesting location; I notice that the junction signals are now two separate semaphores (on the 'wrong' side of the line for sighting reasons) which is fairly typical of recent renewal work.

I'll have a look for pictures of the lever frame which, I expect, will be of LNWR origin with front 'drop handle' catches.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John

Hi John. Surprisingly I don't think Helsby ever had a "proper" bracket junction signal. From the very early days it always seems to have been two separate signals, initially with high level repeater arms. In my youth they were a lovely pair of tall latticework posts with repeater arms. Always difficult to fit them in a photo. :D
John

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2020, 02:46:22 PM »
Apologies to Robin for partially hijacking his thread but I have found this photo in my collection:
40106 on Manchester-Bangor working. 26th February 1982.
John

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:11:17 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »

Hi John. Surprisingly I don't think Helsby ever had a "proper" bracket junction signal. From the very early days it always seems to have been two separate signals, initially with high level repeater arms. In my youth they were a lovely pair of tall latticework posts with repeater arms. Always difficult to fit them in a photo. :D

Very many thanks for this and your subsequent photograph.  Perhaps it was the height of the repeater arms, due to the bridge and the curve, that was the reason for the separate signal posts.  This is an excellent example of the variations in signalling practice required due to specific locations.  More recent semaphore installations tend towards simple installations, but your photograph shows that this was also the case (perhaps for very different reasons) in earlier practice.  One assumes that the lampman had nerves of steel; not a job for someone with a fear of heights.

I wonder if the present day arrangement has banner repeaters the other side of the overbridge.

Thanks, again, for this.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »

Very many thanks for this and your subsequent photograph.  Perhaps it was the height of the repeater arms, due to the bridge and the curve, that was the reason for the separate signal posts.  This is an excellent example of the variations in signalling practice required due to specific locations.  More recent semaphore installations tend towards simple installations, but your photograph shows that this was also the case (perhaps for very different reasons) in earlier practice.  One assumes that the lampman had nerves of steel; not a job for someone with a fear of heights.

I wonder if the present day arrangement has banner repeaters the other side of the overbridge.

Thanks, again, for this.

All best wishes.

John

I'm not 100% sure about the banner repeaters but I don't think so. The only obvious change to the layman since my photo was taken is that the UP distant is now a colour light. Could the change in traffic flows over the years have made the high level repeaters unnecessary? Most passenger trains now stop at Helsby and are DMU's. Hardly any freight.
Many of Helsby's signals have been pruned in recent years. Even the DOWN starters had a bit of height to them originally.
John

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal