!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Aldersgate Street & Ludgate Junction  (Read 4880 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Aldersgate Street & Ludgate Junction
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
could just model blackfriars station and the bridge and a scenic break could be scenes over the thames and the moorgate line
tunnels also a scenic break !!!!!

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2019, 06:54:39 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread but I hope you don't mind if I pull up a chair and watch?

I think this layout is going to be just my cup of tea. (I'm basing that on the fact I've got the twins of four of the locos in your photos)  :)

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
could just model blackfriars station and the bridge and a scenic break could be scenes over the thames and the moorgate line
tunnels also a scenic break !!!!!

I am planning a scenic break with a tunnel section, although down at the other end there will be a terminus, however there will be some tunnels around the side, similar to the ones around Kings Cross. I didn't want to try to replicate a real area as I think I would have found it too restrictive, i.e. in terms of what I wanted to model, and rolling stock etc. So instead I've gone for a blend of different places:

Ludgate Junction will be similar to the disused Ludgate Hill
Aldersgate Street will be similar to one half of Liverpool Street
The bridge separating the two will be based on Blackfriars bridge, just without the associated station. I might add a disused bridge next to it, based on Dover bridge.

Hi Alec,

You are more than welcome to pull up a chair! Apologies that there isn't a great deal to show though at the moment!

Cheers,

Jimmy

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 05:21:02 PM »
Beginning to get a feel of being in the area jimmy as you capture railways in london

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2019, 04:06:46 PM »
@Jimmy77, @GrahamB - any tips for where to source kits for urban landscapes in low relief in the 1950's/1960's era?

I have a bit of urban backdrop to build for my King's Cross area!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
hi

https://www.petite-properties.com

metcalfe
kingsway

anybody have other ideas

Online GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2019, 06:29:38 PM »
I used Metcalfe kits for my urban scene. Some low relief, others hacked about. Also have a look at Scalescenes downloadable kits along with Smart Models. The Gas Holder was Modelux, sadly no longer trading I understand.

For inspiration I looked at YouTube. I found a good cab ride out of Charing Cross.

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »
@Jimmy77, @GrahamB - any tips for where to source kits for urban landscapes in low relief in the 1950's/1960's era?

I have a bit of urban backdrop to build for my King's Cross area!

Hello,

I'm not sure I have any useful tips, other than what others have mentioned.

As GrahamB mentions, there are some good YT clips, this is one I've seen before around the KX area, from the 70's so a little later than your era, but maybe not much had changed in the general backdrop anyway!

I'm planning to scratchbuild some buildings around the main station area. I found some inspiration up at the NMR a little while back, in the side room where they keep various railwayana items. This is a mock-up of Euston Square (sorry for poor quality pics):

I just love this room! So many interesting artifacts.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2019, 04:56:21 PM »
Thanks jimmy. Do you work from photographs you have actually found / taken /seen or drawings? I used badly drawn sketches and photos

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2019, 10:19:39 PM »
Thanks jimmy. Do you work from photographs you have actually found / taken /seen or drawings? I used badly drawn sketches and photos

My photography skills are quite lacking unfortunately, so I rely on finding pictures which other people post online, for which I'm very grateful for as they provide an invaluable resource. I work from a combination or photos and drawings.

A couple of examples, the drawing of the original Liverpool Street station is what I used as the basis for my efforts at building a station roof:

I'm still yet to actually finish any building, I'm still experimenting with what works best for me.

For the smaller items I also use pictures, although I don't tend to go for an exact match, more of just a resemblance to the real thing.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2019, 11:14:46 PM »
thanks jimmy

your recreation of euston /euston square looks so realistic,simplistic  and what you have posted today has been very helpful for darren and myself.

i have always admired those who have recreated london stations
and those buildings whether victorian, modern architecture
happy to maybe meet as there are a few of us london based
or work around.

keep up the  good work

chris

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2019, 11:32:42 PM »
Hi Chris,

The Euston Square model isn't my own work unfortunately (it looks superb!), its up at the NRM in the Railwayana artifacts hall at the side, its what provided me with the inspiration to have a go at a large terminus station. As you say, its not too cluttered up, and has a quite realistic feel to it.

Yes maybe it would be good to have a railway architecture group ramble around a few places!  :)

Cheers,

Jimmy

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2019, 01:22:51 AM »
I'd also like to include some Underground tunnel portals somewhere in the layout, I quite like the idea of seeing some LU track disappearing down a dark dingy hole!

With that in mind, I have tinkered with the design of a back end of a tunnel portal which is more or less tube-like. Once I've got the resin printer set up again I will have a go at printing these, although will most likely do it in smaller sections of 4 rings width, which is 16mm, and then stick them all together. The internal diameter is 26mm, hopefully there will be enough room in the bottom to fit in some track.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2019, 03:29:27 AM »
could be interesting !!!

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2019, 05:48:27 AM »
Interesting having underground lines and mbinline rail running parallel. Obvious examples being queens park to watford and around faringdon

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal