!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Woodland Scenics Deep Pour Water  (Read 459 times)

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27962
    • Lace Wars
    • Awards
Woodland Scenics Deep Pour Water
« on: January 18, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »
I'm at the stage of adding the water to the river on my Lostwithiel layout and have picked Woodland Scenics Deep Pour as it looks very good. Has anyone used it before?

I'd like to know what people's experiences of it have been, and more particularly what people have used to simulate a "bottom" and how they have secured it.

Woodland Scenics say to use their own "Scenic Cement" to secure any landscaped bottom. I'm wondering if this is just them wanting to promote their own products and whether normal PVA will work fine.

I've heard stories of people's water going cloudy and would obviously like to avoid that.

Thanks

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Woodland Scenics Deep Pour Water
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 05:49:26 PM »
I canít comment on the Woodlands Scenic product. I prefer to use layers of yacht varnish.
As for the bottom, modelling Lostwithiel, I imagine you want a gravely river bed. I use dark brown ballast, with a bit of grey mixed in spread lightly over a bed of PVA glue.
 I often add a bit of greenery to give the effect of weeds above the gravel.
Not a great photo but you might get the idea
5C38A414-CE67-4C4E-AD70-FA924EB78F15 by martin scane, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:34:32 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 12:23:37 AM »
I recently used it for a river scene. I wanted a deeper run shallowing out into a quieter bay. I painted the bottom of the faster section with dark greens and browns, and did the ballast thing on the shallow section. A couple of rocks in the riverbed first and some foam added afterwards and I was very happy with how it turned out. Just be very careful that you have no leaks when you pour - even the tiniest hole will suck the "water" out.

I'm a brand-new modeler - was very happy with the outcome.

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 12:43:44 AM »
 :hellosign:

When I filled the lake on Windmill Hill, I used Woodland scenic solid water, which I believe is a very similar ( if not identical  ;) ) product.

I painted the bottom of the lake with enamel colours, making the centre darker to show it being deeper. All the stones, gravel bits, and foliage I glued down with superglue. Then I checked for leaks, this is really important. I poured water into the lake. This reassured  me there were thankfully no leaks ( thinking about it, that was probably a bit stupid, as I'm not sure what I would have done if there were any  :-[ :worried: :-[) It did however show me the water level when full  :D. The water was then soaked up with a paper towel.

This is the "dry" lake. The bulrushes are these, and look really good when trimmed a bit. The fishermen's lines are my own hair, superglued to the bottom of the lake.

https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/N-Gauge-Bulrushes

Then I made a few "Mini lakes" to practice on .....

This is the look of the lake I wanted to portray, with the water colour taking on the reflection of a blue summer sky

I mixed a few colours to find what I thought looked best, and these were the most successful. Be aware that you need VERY FEW DROPS to colour the resin, so don't go mad  :no:

Another thing I found was more dye in the resin made the water more cloudy / opaque as seen on the right hand pond.

The water lillies were these leaves ....

https://www.howardscenicsupplies.co.uk/products/NOCH-07146-Leaves-%252d-Dark-Green-50g.html

Then the resin was mixed for the lake pour .....

DON'T use these throw away plastic beakers to mix the resin in. With a concentrated cup load the resin gets very hot, and will melt the plastic ..... I know  :-[ (I didn't photo that as I was rather pre-occupied with mopping up spilt resin and melted cup :doh: ) I used a washed out tinned vegetable can second time. Maybe it was to do with the depth of resin, and the "Deep Water won't do that, but I would be careful.

I then left the lake alone covered with a box to stop any dust or grit or little flying things landing on it. (I was doing this in the summer with the windows open) and I went out to play.

Coming back to it .....  >:( disaster  >:(

The resin had soaked into the sand and static grass round the lake and looked awful  :(
Although I was pleased with the colour, and the transparency showed the underwater rocks, I had to sort this, so I waited 48 hours to make sure the resin was absolutely hardened, and I took everything off the beach and put down a new thin layer of sand, and trimmed back and re did the spoilt grass. Here is the bit where thefamily feeding the swans will be .....

The waterlillies I glued in place with diluted PVA, to which I added a little brown acrylic so when dried would make the water round them look a little cloudy, and I added just a little gloss varnish along the waterline.

Here's how it looks now ....

Sorry I seem to have rambled on a bit, but those were my experiences with Woodland Scenic Water. Boiling it down to one main bit of advice ...... practice off layout, 'cos once it's down that's it  :D ;) :D

Hope this is useful,

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »
Check the instructions: I have the idea from somewhere that the WS water resins don't like PVA, but that may just be the "Realistic Water" which has to be poured in thin layers.  I have bought it but not used it yet.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 12:03:44 PM »
Ooops, forgot to mention that  :doh:

:no: Quite right, don't fix anything on the bottom with PVA as it will make the water cloudy.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on

All best wishes
Kevin

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 12:14:56 PM »
That's really helpful, thanks chaps.

Thanks Kevin - great pics of a great layout!

I've already glued the base down with PVA however I have bought some WS Scenic Cement today so will seal the entire area with that and see how I get on.

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »
That's really helpful, thanks chaps.

Thanks Kevin - great pics of a great layout!

I've already glued the base down with PVA however I have bought some WS Scenic Cement today so will seal the entire area with that and see how I get on.

WS Scenic Cement is diluted PVA (plus other constituents) so not likely to help. A good layer of varnish should seal it up.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »
Thanks to all who helped with my questions re. Deep Pour Water last week. I bought some WD Scenic cement in the end and gave the river bed a good dousing.

I then took the plunge and added the water. Fairly happy with result though it still needs another box to get the depth I want - have used three boxes on this bit alone!

Still some work to do on the river banks and some surface ripples to be added but it starting to look the way I want it to.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »
Looks brilliant. Very jealous of all of it.

Great stuff.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 11:50:58 AM »
Simply excellent result. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 12:08:00 PM »
That is lovely.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 12:58:43 PM »
Great job,

Looking excellent  :thumbsup:

all best wishes

Kevin

Offline LASteve