Graham Farish 2019

Started by guest2, January 14, 2019, 12:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jthjth

Quote from: Bealman on January 15, 2019, 03:11:41 AM

Got me beat how they're doing the sound though, as the whole DC concept uses varying voltage. How will the volume be kept constant?  :hmmm:
The decoder has an onboard dc-dc converter which produces a constant output voltage. The dc track voltage has to reach a certain level, usually around 4.5v, before the decoder wakes up.

Bealman

Thank you! Fiddling around with Arduino as I do, that's making sense.

I forget that all that be reduced in size using smds.

Thanks mate!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

chrism

Quote from: Chris Morris on January 15, 2019, 07:18:26 AM
I have a number of sound equipped G scale locos and love them. I have yet to hear an N gauge loco with sound (or even 00) that hasn't left me totally underwhelmed. Despite improvements in speaker technology I reckon 0 is as small as you can go and get sound that is anything like it should be.

I've only heard one "sound fitted" model so far and underwhelmed is an understatement.
One of the lads at the club brought his new sound fitted OO gauge 37 and, although I didn't tell him so, it was bloody awful. Only occasionally could I hear anything that remotely resembled a diesel, most of the time it sounded like random static on a poorly tuned radio.

Chris Morris

I would give high marks for the accuracy and variety of sound but it just completely lacks depth . I now recall that I have been impressed with N gauge sound just the once. The Broadway Imports rolling thunder system which uses a big speaker under the layout receiving instructions from the chip in the loco to provide the bass is well worth it. Rolling Thunder only works with their chips and these are only for US diesels, but wow .
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Bealman

Yes, I think sound out N gauge locos will be dodgey, and I've read quite a bit about walk-around underboard systems with good sound.

I'm just curious about the new Farish stuff  :beers:

Chris Morris

I'm sure it will be to a similar standard to their recent models. Both the Castle and DMU provide a good variety of sound and, apart from lack of depth, are very good. The castle basic sound works on DC (and has done since it was first made) but of course you can't trigger the function key driven sounds. I expect the new ones will be the same. Also I assume there isn't going to be room for a back up battery so the sounds won't work on DC  when the loco isn't moving. In the larger scales a back up battery keeps things ticking over (literally) when the DC power is off.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

silly moo

Won't the acoustics of the room in which you are running your sound loco in have a bearing on the sound produced? I would have thought so but I don't have a sound loco to test out the theory.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Pete @ EGLM on January 14, 2019, 10:16:13 PM
Hi Skyline,
I've weathered some- I've tried to put a picture up, but it's always such a struggle.  I'll put a picture on Facebook NGF

Pete @EGLM

Does that mean some are "clean"?

Look forward to pictures  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

njee20

Quote from: silly moo on January 15, 2019, 08:23:05 AM
Won't the acoustics of the room in which you are running your sound loco in have a bearing on the sound produced? I would have thought so but I don't have a sound loco to test out the theory.

Definitely. The sound quality in large exhibition halls is noticeably degraded compared to small rooms.

westie7

Mmm interesting, I wouldn't say there is any hint of such a poor quality sound wise on my Fleischmann SBB Re460, this can be done

jthjth

I'm no great fan of sound fitted locos in N, but I wouldn't want to deny it to those that want it. However (slightly tongue in cheek) I'd ban it at exhibitions. At TINGS this year there was a layout with sound fitted locos next to mine. After a couple of hours it becomes REALLY annoying, especially with locos sat still emitting idling engine sounds. It is a bit like how I might imagine suffering from tinitus to be. For me it comes under the heading of "just because you can doesn't mean you should." However, each to their own - as this is what model railways is all about.

Bealman

I agree that the sound will be different at home compared to an exhibition hall.

But we're getting off topic here.

Back to Farish!

Portpatrick

Quote from: red_death on January 14, 2019, 11:31:22 PM
Quote from: Portpatrick

quote author=red_death link=topic=44128.msg548787#msg548787 date=1547508682]
Quote from: Portpatrick on January 14, 2019, 08:04:31 PM
  I would be more tempted by the green and cream WHL pair if the TSO was also available separately so I could make something approaching a decent rake.  Or did they actually run in Break and full open pairs?  Though for Allanbrae I would prefer the current Jacobite livery - it was dark red when I rode it in 2003. 

The green and cream mk2s and 101 trailer as an observation car primarily ran on the Kyle line rather than the WHL and did run in shorter rakes at times but I can't remember the shortest formation or if it ever ran on the WHL.

Cheers Mike
link=topic=44128.msg548751#msg548751 date=1547496271]
  I would be more tempted by the green and cream WHL pair if the TSO was also available separately so I could make something approaching a decent rake.  Or did they actually run in Break and full open pairs?  Though for Allanbrae I would prefer the current Jacobite livery - it was dark red when I rode it in 2003. 

The green and cream mk2s and 101 trailer as an observation car primarily ran on the Kyle line rather than the WHL and did run in shorter rakes at times but I can't remember the shortest formation or if it ever ran on the WHL.

Cheers Mike
[/quote]

Thanks for that clarification Mike.  I will look through my books and see what I can find.

ten0G

Quote from: Hailstone on January 15, 2019, 01:38:42 AM
I asked for the Chocolate and cream RU at Ally Pally 2 years ago and by direct email to Bachman, looks like they actually listened!

Good news at last! 

Steven B

Some useful re-liveries.

I wonder how long they'll take to appear - I'm still waiting for re-liveries from the 2015/16 catalogue...

Looks like I'll have to wait a little longer for D200/40106 or get my airbrush out.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations