!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: HDMI cables  (Read 173 times)

Offline TrevL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
HDMI cables
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »
As a "not computer savy" bloke, I like to upgrade things the easy way, ie doesn't include coding, programming and the like.  So with that in mind, having upgraded my graphics card and power supply with a little help from a friend, I now plan on changing my monitor for one of these new fangled wide screen jobbies.  My current monitor is a 5:4 aspect ratio 19" with DVI to the G/card, but the choice of monitor is somewhat limited with DVI, but thankfully there is immense choice will HDMI sockets, which is Ok cos my card has HDMI.
Problem is which HDMI cable do I choose?  They seem to vary in price between a couple of quid  upto about £90!  I realise you get what you pay for, but to me that is a really big difference.  A mid way one is about £20.
What are your thoughts Gents (and Ladies)?

Win7 home SP1 8Gb Ram
Geforce GTX 950 2Gb memory
Train sim and flight sim player.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:02:50 PM by TrevL »
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: HDMI cables
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »
Cheap.

HDMI signals are digital, they either get there or they don’t. Paying for expensive ones is a false economy in 99.99% of situations.

£5 job will be fine. It’s all I use for 4K video.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:46:29 PM »
Totally agree, go cheap. I've never spent more than $5 on an HDMI cable (I get mine from Amazon Basics) and one of my TV's is the 4K 65" monster. I've seen cables in the specialty stores with prices that make your eyes water. I think one of them I saw cost more than my Panasonic DVD/streaming device.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:00:29 PM »
I read on some consumer website somewhere, (sometime), that there is no difference whatsoever in HDMI cables, regardless of price. Just confirming the above.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:16:05 PM »
Yes, ignore all the absolute tosh about expensive monster cables etc. flogged by tech stores for stupid money being so much better.   Just get a reasonably priced one of the length you need.   

Maybe avoid the absolute cheapest ebay bargains simply on the basis they may have cheaper quality connectors and/or be assembled with less care.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 11:18:30 PM »
For what it’s worth, I usually buy the locking type to stop them pulling out when I’m rooting about behind the monitor.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 11:32:40 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated, clears that up then.
 :thankyousign: :NGaugersRule:
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 12:28:21 AM »
Just a few points about DVI.

There are three varieties of DVI (DVI-A, DVI-D and DVI-I [analogue, digital and both]). Almost all monitors these days are DVI-D or HDMI.

DVI-D is a subset of HDMI - basically HDMI without sound. You can connect HDMI and DVI-D devices together with nothing more than a dumb adapter. The net result that if you find a monitor with DVI-D you can use it with an HDMI graphics card (or vice-versa), with an HDMI to DVI lead alone or an HDMI or DVI lead, plus an adapter at the appropriate end.

Some DVI-D or DVI-I graphics cards can also be "dual-link", were the DVI output can use a "Y"- cable to independently drive two monitors.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £325.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything