!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minehead to Didcot  (Read 864 times)

Offline Nebucanezza

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Minehead to Didcot
« on: January 10, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »
Hi all,

I'm starting planning my main layout, which will probably be based on the West Somerset Railway.  In the next few months I hope to take delivery of my son's current bedroom (don't worry we're building a new one for him), so the dreaming has started...

The room layout dimensions are here:

Originally this was going to be 100% West Somerset Railway but I found I just couldn't fit Minehead and Bishop's Lydeard into the same layout.

For info, I've got mostly GWR stock from my current layout Churchstanton (also on the forum), with a couple of BR locos. All of my engines or similar members of their class have at some point visited the WSR, but would probably also be at home at Didcot .  I plan to reuse the Signal box and Water tower from Churchstanton, as well as my NCE Power cab and a USB adaptor, which I have used to control trains with a raspberry Pi and JMRI.

Would love to hear others' views, opinions and especially suggestions.  I've got several months before I can take control of my train room, so this will be slow burn but I'd like to get a good track plan soon, so I can then start thinking about electrickery and stuff!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:22:17 PM by Nebucanezza »

Offline Chuffington

• Awards
Re: West Somerset Railway
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »
Looks like you have a nice size area for your layout.
Are you going to be able to reach into the corners of the bottom left section ? Looks like quite a stretch !

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 10:39:37 PM »
This was about as good as the 100% WSR idea got: with Minehead and Bishop's Lydeard along the same wall but with Minehead 15cm/ 6'' higher, to create the notion that these are two separate stations.  This will allow me to create a lot of scenery as the branch line rolls down hill to Bishop's Lydeard (not true to life!) and I can also choose to create scenery around the lower level loop including the fiddle yard at a later date.

I also reduced the with of the boards in some places to help with reaching hard to get to places.  At most they are 2' wide.

Any thoughts/ suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:09:37 PM by Nebucanezza, Reason: Removing some of the crude layout options/ thread tidyup »

Offline TalyllynJon

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 11:49:42 PM »
Sounds like an interesting project - the WSR has always been dear to my heart (as a 3 year old I travelled on the last BR train and, courtesy of my dad, I've been a member of the West Somerset Railway Association since day 1). Phase 2 of my own layout (realistically not something that will happen anytime soon - what with Phase 1 still being mostly in my head!) will be a model of Blue Anchor station in the late 70s/early 80s (I'm guessing there's not much chance of Dapol announcing the Bagnall tanks Victor and Vulcan as their next release!!!). I've been toying with two different locations on split levels with my own layout plans, so if you do go down that route it would be interesting to see how it turns out. My worry has been how to do it so that the two locations are clearly separate models but without a having really ugly divide between them. On your plan I think my head would be unable to cope with Minehead, which is obviously at sea level, being placed above Bishop's Lydeard! - but that may just be me. Scenically I'd be tempted to try to capture something of the sweep of Blue Anchor Bay - in a highly condensed form and working on the assumption that the model is set in an alternate universe where Butlins never happened!

Offline Chuffington

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »
Why not put the fiddle yard on the narrower section at the bottom left and put the other station where you currently have the fiddle yard ? This way the 2 stations would be distinctly separate and allow for completely different settings and also you have enough space between them to allow for gradient changes.

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 10:24:41 PM »
Hmm I've had a play around in SCARM and I'm struggling to get Chuffington's suggestions to work without making a couple of compromises, that I don't really want to make.

First, I don't want to compress the station any further, so to fit in in the top right, it has to go in at an angle.  This alone is okay (although not ideal) but then I want to have an oval to allow continuous running, so I still need to keep Minehead higher than Bishop's Lydeard, to preserve some difference between the Minehead terminus and the oval.  Thing is, if I keep Minehead 150mm higher than Bishop's Lydeard, I would need a gradient that is steeper than 2.4%, which is the "green zone" according to SCARM.  Taking Minehead down to 100mm above the oval is still slightly too high.

Ideally I will want to run 7 coach trains behind a Farish 4F and Farish castle, so judging by some of the comments in other parts of the forum, any gradient will need to be as shallow as possible!

I think the original ideal with a mini backscene behind Bishop's Lydeard station would work. In reality there is a factory/ warehouse running behind the main platform/ station building.  Old pictures show it used to be shielded by conifers, so some kind of low relief factory with possibly some trees would work quite well to breakup the two stations.

I think I will revisit Bishop's Lydeard station as the point work doesn't look quite right to me, having looked at satelite images and tinternet. I'll then have another play around to see if/ how it fits anywhere else.

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »
Right. Slightly different tack.  When I were a lad... we used to go to Didcot quite often and I was captivated by the atmosphere and the beautiful engines.  So... I've combined Didcot shed (slightly condensed) with Minehead station and a dual track mainline.  Plus a station behind Didcot shed with an island platform and a bay platform. Any ideas of good mainline island platforms I could model? I suppose a condensed Didcot would be an option?!

Oh btw. Ignore the break in the track at the top, I've stitched two pictures together - badly!

I also know it's going to be a bit of a stretch in the bottom left corner to the mainline station, the depth along the diagonal to the corner of the room will be just over 3'. Just as well I'm 6'5"!

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 11:27:55 PM »
Yes! I like this latest plan. A little sorry that Bishops Lydeard didn't make the cut, but this is a very nice plan. :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
Re: Minehead to Didcot
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 10:19:51 PM »
Right I've further modified the "Didcot" part of the layout, adding a headshunt to the engine shed complex, and some sidings for factories, as well as a bay platform and siding for a cattle dock in the station area. 

Technically I should call it Diddycot because it's so condensed but that just sounds rubbish! :laugh3:

Rather than try to model Didcot Parkway station though, I think I'll model it as if it were a traditional Great Western Station, especially as modern image really isn't my thing. 

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
Diddycot sounds ok as it will have lots of Diddymen working on the locos in the shed area and lots of Diddy men and Women on the platforms .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
I like the plan but if 't were mine I'd move upper the tunnel mouths further to the left - maybe half way round the curve. I don't know what the odd point is leading to the Factories & Terraces but I'd do away with the RH point and make the preceding curve a LH point so as to remove the 'kink'
Just my thoughts.

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 10:39:25 PM »
Variation on a theme.  I didn't like the though of lines running out and back across the same boards on the last design so I tried to amend it to get trains running right around the room.  This will require a bridge across the doorway and the main line disappearing behind Minehead station but I think I prefer the way the main line wanders through countryside before coming to Diddycot. Which do people prefer?

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 10:47:48 PM »
 :hellosign: Personal preference would Go for the continuous loop
     regards Derek

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 12:57:13 AM »
Presumably the curved backscene is removable? The concealed track is straight, so derailments should be rare, but....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »
Dumbells are great, bridges not so (years of trying to make one work).
And you could have a 4 track main line just north of Diddycot.

Bob

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations