!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills G2 0-8-0 tender loco  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills G2 0-8-0 tender loco
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
--is it straightforward to fit new tyres ?

Yes - just remove the tender drive (front screw on the underside will release the tender body) which will allow you to get a new tyre seated on the wheel.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Bigmac

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 09:40:38 PM »
packet of traction tyres arrived--they look tiny ?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
With huge apologies to @Train Waiting I decided I needed to tone down the shine on my UM locos so took a permanent marker pen to the buffers and the connecting rods. It seems my permanent marker pen is not as permanent as I thought so next time I have some acrylic black out I'll give them a dry brushing. In the meantime some vids which are hardly in focus and, frankly, quite poor.
 :sorrysign:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6olt9iorgn6ys1/CoT%20with%20Hawksworths.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/phbl89tqk68dw0a/Super%20D%20%2B%20brake%20van.MOV?dl=0

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 04:39:25 PM »
Many thanks for the films of well-running Union Mills locomotives, Mick.

I expect that your 'G2' would be considered to be in ex-works condition in BR days!  Back in pre-War conditions, Bobbington shed finds it much easier to keep its allocation shining like new shillings.  And we conveniently ignore Lord Stamp's post-1928 economies on the LMS!

I wonder what your next Union Mills locomotive will be...

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 08:27:57 PM »
packet of traction tyres arrived--they look tiny ?
They're usually designed to stretch over the wheel and sit in the groove.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Lankyman

• N Gauge Society Number: 22227
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »
After following this thread I have succombed to the temptation to join the Union Mills fan club. I have today ordered a 2P and a G2 which I know better as a Super D. I have had to stretch Rule 1 a little bit as I model a fictitious location somewhere in NW England in the 1950's/60's and the 2P is a Somerset and Dorset loco being allocated to Bath Green Park and Templecome all its life. However I know that its sister locos worked in the North West because I can remember them as a trainspotter in my youth and I have just found a photo of one piloting an unrebuilt Patriot on a WCML express near Farington just a couple of miles from where where I now live. The G2 was allocated to Edge Hill and Speke Junction sheds so I may well have spotted it in the Manchester area in my youth. nevertheless, in the same book as the picture of the 2P there are several pictures of Super D's working in the Preston area.
Stretching Rule 1 with the 2P, when I was a lad in the Boys' Brigade, the Oldham Battalion used to go to camp in Lyme Regis during the first week of Oldham Wakes in June. We had five reserved coaches, usually ex-LMS stock, attached to the front of the Wakes express to Bournemouth travelling overnight (no sleeping coaches!) This train travelled via Bath Green Park (reversal) and the S&D to Templecombe where we were detached and shunted up the the main station from where we went down the LSW main line to Axminster. At that point two of the Adams 4-4-2 tank engines took us down the branch to Lyme Regis. It was always 30582 and 30584, I never did see 30583 which is the one now preserved. I distinctly remember on one occasion being hauled to Axminster by a T9 and on the way back by an unrebuilt West Country. I have fond memories of those trips and I have often thought of having a Southern day on my layout as I really like the West Countrry Class aand the T9. I see the 2P as a bridge to that end but in the meantime it can masquerade as a local engine for the time being. Is there any chance of anyone making one of the Adams locos? it's grossly unfair that the OO people can have one but we can't.
I expect to take delivery of my new babies some time next week as they are travelling via Wickness Models where Douglas Stewart is going to fit them with DCC decoders for me.
Ron
Ron

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
Splendid, Ron.  These are lovely models and I hope (and expect) that you will be thrilled with them.  Welcome to the Union Mills Appreciation Society!  Hopefully, you'll kindly post photographs when they arrive.

And many thanks for your recollections which are very interesting indeed.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
Hi Ron,

You will not be disappointed by the Super D.  Mine was purchased a few years back from Colin so I would be interested to see a photo of yours to see if there have been any changes.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 09:50:03 AM »
@Paddy
Here's a couple of pics of mine received in January from  a new batch built by Colin......

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 12:11:21 PM »
Hi Newportnobby,

Looks really good.  I see Colin has changed the locomotive number as mine is 49060 which was scrapped at Crewe in June 1949.  Probably unlikely that mine would have seen a BR totem on its tender!

EDIT: It would seem that yours (49368) was withdrawn in March 1959.

Many thanks

Paddy
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:14:16 PM by Paddy »
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00