!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 5196 times)

Offline dats475

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »
Wow!!   :goggleeyes: incredible modelling!
Superb craftsmanship all over the place!
The scene composition is just stunning!
Very inspiring. Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: October 10, 2019, 12:04:29 PM »
@dats475
Coming from you dats, I take that as a very nice compliment.  :thankyousign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2019, 02:22:49 PM »
David,

Thank you for the link to the video. Congratulations on making such an excellent layout. I'm very impressed.

After following your regular updates its great to see now how it all fits together! I think my favourite bit is the Royal Mail depot. Totally convincing in my view.

First class.

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »
 :hellosign:
  Many thanks David, an excellent video of your super layout & all looking really good
     regards Derek.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »
As mentioned previously, I have finally finished scratch building another building for the layout. The building is 'Coffey's Bakery And Coffee House' in Carrick-on-Shannon. The finished product is not a true scale model, as i) I only had some photographs, (and my memory), to work with and ii) I only had the measurements of the ground floor windows. The model was a  :censored: to create, partly due to the way the roof(s) were all (not) aligned and partly because I made it from 2mm white card and some of the vertical pieces at one side were only 2mm wide. (Ever tried cutting a hole in 2mm card leaving a 2mm strip? :goggleeyes:). I have missed some bits off the model, as it had to fit a certain area on the layout. Whilst I am reasonably pleased with the finished item, I decided that I would not put it on the layout where I intended, as I would have only been able to see the backside! So, I am going to scratch build another 'Coffey's', taking artistic licence with the design and put it somewhere towards the front of the layout near where the station will live, probably in the pedestrian area at the east end of Averingcliffe.

I went to 'Coffey's' this morning for a bit of toast and a coffee and took the model with me. Mr. Coffey was there and he has gratefully accepted my model as a gift, so it has gone to a good home.

First we have two pictures of the real 'Coffey's' -

And now we have two pictures of the nearly finished article, (there was just a bit of 'touching up' to do at this stage) -

There has been no real progress on the layout proper, as I have spent last week or so on 'Coffey's' but, hopefully, I will have a further report to bring you early next week regarding the lives of the Averingcliffe folk.

David.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
Nice job David!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2019, 11:38:38 PM »
That's awesome that the owner will have your model on display! I'll bet he was chuffed!  :thumbsup:

Hope he didn't charge you for the toast and coffee!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2019, 09:13:38 AM »
That's an exquisite little model, David.

Congratulations.

I agree completely that often the best way to build something is to build it twice!

It might even be worth looking at 'Plastikard' as the material, rather than 2mm card.

But, to digress; I have been worried that some of the characters on my layout are being given names that are too obvious.  I'll worry no more since reading about Mr Coffey and his coffee house.  The Poppingham porter will be Mr Porter - no doubt now!

The chap that looks after the whitebeam and rowan in the garden here is Mr Rowan!

Thank you for the lovely photographs which have tempted me to visit Ireland again.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »
Putting on my "technical expert" hat,  :sick2:

I agree with John that thin embossed plasticard is the way to go with scratchbuiding.

Unless you're building a substantial structure it will support itself just fine.  :thumbsup:

Edit: ok double sheets, now my aging memory has kicked in.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:34:40 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2019, 03:42:24 PM »
Thanks for the comments gents.
@Bealman
I had already paid for my toast and coffee before I saw Mr Coffey. However, he did offer me some free cakes, so I just accepted another coffee from him

@Train Waiting  If and when you visit Ireland again John, try and get up to the borders. If you do get up this way, the strawberry tarts, (I think I may have mentioned how delightful they are, (once or twice),  ;)), are on me.  :beers:

Whilst constructing 'Coffey's', it did cross my mind about using Plasticard, so something to look at next week.
David.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
   Thanks David that's an excellent piece of modelling, well done sir
      regards Derek

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2019, 12:33:22 PM »
I have just uploaded a small video to youtube. The video was taken with one of those little cube cameras which I mounted on a flat truck and the pushed it clockwise round the inner loop. The video is not very good quality and, having spent a couple of hours 'mucking about' with it, I can not get the light right! But my excuse is that I am new to this video lark.  :)

Here is the link -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GG62o1z9KU
David.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2019, 01:19:28 PM »
Great fun.
You sometimes wonder if the truck is going to take the corner happily but all is well in the end.
And about three quarters of the way through there appears to be a bush on the line! I was waiting for the crash but nothing happened.
And....I have to ask, if you pushed the truck around you must have a very long arm to get through that tunnel.  :D
I bought one of the cheap little cameras that you can mount on a truck a few years ago. Whilst it was fun, I could never really get it working properly. Donít know where it is now.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »
Hi David,

Very good first attempt. I like your music editing for the tunnel and the stop, very professional.

Great stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
@port perran  a bit went missing in the narrative  :-[ it should have said that the flat truck was pushed by an engine. I didn't see the bush on the line until I watched the video, but it got out of the way sharpish, so no harm done. Those little cameras are fun, maybe the outcome would be better with some additional lighting - something to consider.

@weave I could say that yes, I was very professional with the editing .................. but most of of it was just good timing and coincidence  :)
David.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything