!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 4003 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2019, 08:18:52 PM »
We now have the next chapter in the history of 'Averingcliffe.

Part XII
The new S.T.E.A.M. Railway maintenance facility was finally completed and as many people stated, it looked rather futuristic. The complex housed a 6 lane engine shed which was described as being “crescent shaped, with straight edges and no right angles”.  The shed had none of the usual roof vents, as a system for extracting air had been designed by Jack Allen, the Site Engineer at Wakefield Dairies. He had done this alongside his work at the dairy, although with the permission of the dairy directors as the S.T.E.A.M. Railway had agreed that, in lieu of payment, the shunter engine used by the dairy would be maintained, free of charge, by the staff at the facility.

The original brick built 2 lane engine shed was retained, along with two outside lines. A hoist over one of these lines had been removed many years previously, but it was decided that a new hoist would be erected in the not too distant future. The original shed had been built in 1899. The facility manager, Roy Grace, was an ex-engine driver, so had a lot of knowledge of the workings of steam engines. He was a strict boss with a sense of humour. Sometimes, the staff at the facility did not know whether to laugh or cry when he spoke to them! The staff at the facility included Derek Trotter, who was the Supervisor, (or Boss as he liked to think). Derek’s brother Rodney, Colin Ball, who was the unofficial ‘sweeper upper’, Aubrey Boyce, Mike Fisher, Michael Pearce and Denzil Tulser. Raquel Slater comes to the facility for a couple of hours each day to prepare a lunch for the workers. Derek Trotter is rather keen on Raquel and they have been known to have a drink together in ‘The Duchess’. The Security Officer at the site, Danny', resides at 32 Railway Cuttings, very handy for work!

When the maintenance facility was finally fully operational, Sir Andrew Cooke remarked to his wife, Lady Joan, that, even though he had been privy to the plans, he had not realised just how extensive – and bright - the site was and further added that he was glad that a condition of the planning consent was that, except in an emergency situation, work at the facility would be restricted to the hours between 8am and 8pm, Monday Friday, with work also allowed on Saturday mornings.

Now for some pictures. The first is the view on entering the facility from the main line -

Then a couple of shots showing the old and new engine sheds -

This photograph is taken from outside the facility, looking over the old shed towards the new shed -

Now we have an overhead night photograph, taken by an aerial photographer -

This photograph shows the compound at the entrance to the facility, shown Danny approaching the barrier -

For those interested in the technical details, the 2 lane shed is a 'Metcalfe' kit and the 6 lane shed was designed and constructed by me! I made it from 1mm Plasticard sandwiched between  printed card, various bits of 'Plastruct' and paint. I have to admit that I am quite pleased with how it turned out, mainly because of its shape. The roof lifts off in case for when a loco' refuses to start.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2019, 08:56:05 PM »
Nifty detailing and  :greatpicturessign:

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2019, 09:20:55 PM »
David,

Thanks for the photographs, the back story and the modelling information. Just giving a splendid post such as this a "like" doesn't seem anywhere near enough.

Well done all round from me!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »
i like the contrasting steam shed and the modern TMD facility

thank you for your photos

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2019, 07:47:52 AM »
Great modelling David.  :greatpicturessign:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2019, 08:14:03 AM »
Great  stuff David.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   All looking really superb David   :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2019, 10:15:21 PM »
Here is the next chapter in the story of Averingcliffe.

Part XIII

Sir Andrew was sitting in the lounge in the Manor House one evening, nursing a glass of his favourite malt, Jurra, when he remarked to Lady Joan how the modern diesel engines did not seem to have the character of the old steam engines which had been withdrawn a decade or so earlier. Lady Joan replied that her husband spent enough time leaning on the fence watching the comings and goings at the maintenance facility, he might as well work there. Sir Andrew had an idea – could steam trains be returned? He discussed his idea with Lady Joan and as she said, “You only spend a few days a month in the City, you have plenty of free time”.

Over the course of the next few days, Sir Andrew made a few telephone calls to his friends and colleagues, including some titled and monied people. A meeting was arranged to be held in a private room at ‘The Duchess’ public house a few weeks later, with Sir Andrew being nominated as the Chairman.

At this meeting, all the people present agreed that something on the lines of a heritage railway would be a great attraction for the area and could, eventually, be turned into a profitable business. Of the prominent people at the meeting, there were two Americans, a Thomas Hanks who did a bit of acting and a Warren Buffett, a business magnate who was a shareholder of the American railway company ‘Burlington Northern and Santa Fe' (BNSF). There were also two men who had made their money from music – Philip Collins, who liked to play drums and sing and Richard Starkey, who also was a sometime drummer. There was also an Italian gentleman, Riccardo Patrese, who liked to drive fast cars. These five gentlemen all had their own model railway layouts and earned the nickname ‘The Famous Five’. Also present were four prominent business associates of Sir Andrew. After a lot of discussion about how the enterprise would be set up and run and, more importantly, financed, it was agreed that all the ten people mentioned would set up a limited company to run the new venture. Also present at the meeting were the maintenance facility Manager Roy Grace, who, being an ex-engine driver, was extremely keen on the idea, along with the local Member of Parliament Theresa Corbyn and the local council chairman, Ernest Marples. Mr. Marples, after some heated exchanges, was eventually persuaded to give his backing to the idea, as very little change would be needed at the site and no Council funds would be required. Also present was Ian Wakefield, as representative of Wakefield Dairies, who were keen on the idea of a Heritage Railway.

A few weeks after this meeting, Warren Buffet contacted Sir Andrew and informed him that a Burlington Northern locomotive, in a special livery, would be touring various heritage railway sites in the U.K. during the following month and could Sir Andrew get things moving enough for the locomotive to appear at the maintenance facility. Sir Andrew certainly got things moving! In the space of four weeks, he had secured the co-operation of both the council and Roy Grace and his staff. He had also arranged for advance publicity, the appearance of three other locomotives, insurance, press coverage and tickets for the event.

Here is a picture of the locomotive, in its special livery, sitting on the turntable at the maintenance facility. A fuller report will follow later.

David.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2019, 07:00:49 AM »
Excellent looking loco.  :thumbsup:

Love the main characters!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2019, 10:26:50 PM »
 :hellosign: Excellent story & superb photo,  :thumbsup: looking forward to more
       regards Derek.

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
Following on from my post regarding the 'BN Bicentennial' purchase  (https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19985.msg580088#msg580088) here is the next instalment

PART XIV   

The open day turned out to be a huge success, much better than anyone could have hoped for. A number of prominent local people, including the Directors of Wakefield Dairies and Stanley Hamilton, the Royal Mail depot manager and his family were invited. Sir Andrew had heard that a much larger number of people were likely to arrive than had been anticipated. Sir Andrew spoke to the local farmer, Angus McDonald, who was getting on in years and it was agreed that Angus would allow a field he owned at the foot of ‘the mountain’ to be used as a car park. The weather had been fine and dry for the previous few weeks, so the ground was hard. Sir Andrew arranged with a local bus operator, a Mr. Wallace Arnold, to provide a coach which would ferry people from the improvised car park to the maintenance depot and back again. Mr. Arnold remarked that they could call it a ‘park and ride’ service.

Everybody was primed as to their duties on the day. Derek Trotter, the depot foreman, along with his brother Rodney and the rest of the depot staff would be on hand to take visitors around the facility and explain what exactly happened there. Roy Grace, the depot manager, was in overall charge. Alice McCarthy, the housekeeper/cook at the Manor House and Raquel Slater, who ran the canteen at the depot, along with a girl from the village, would provide tea, coffee and light refreshments for the visitors, at a modest charge. Mr. Arkwright initially thought that it would be very inconvenient if there were to be a lot of people about as his regular customers would have difficulty getting to him. However, when he thought about it a bit more, a rare smile was seen.

With the agreement of the railway company, visitors to the depot could avail of a ride in an old six wheel carriage, pulled by the depot shunter, along a short stretch of line from the depot to the nearby station.

Apart from the ‘Burlington Northern’ special locomotive, 46236 ‘City Of Bradford’ in her splendid black livery, had been lent for the occasion on one of her last public displays before being scrapped. Rodney Trotter, who was a bit of a ‘plonker’ when it came to steam engines, (and was therefore, on very friendly terms with Roy Grace, who had been a steam engine driver in his earlier days, although Roy maintained a strict boss/worker relationship whilst at work), explained to the visitors how the engine was designed by William Stanier and was what was called a 4-6-2.  Also present representing the steam era was a 2-6-2 GWR locomotive 8108, which was alleged to have been scrapped in December 1960, yet here it was at the depot a few years later, albeit in a non-working condition. There was also a 0-6-0 locomotive, which had earned the nickname ‘Cauliflower’. Representing the diesel locomotives was a Class 33 33046 in what was called ‘Dutch’ livery. A number of freight vehicles were brought to the site, including the three ‘Wakefield Dairies’ milk tankers. Jack Allen, the engineer at the dairies, was on hand to explain how milk was taken from and added to the tankers.

Due to the volume of people attending the event, Stanley Hamilton, the manager at the Royal Mail depot, after a quick telephone call to the Area manager, Frank Barrens, suggested to Sir Andrew that word be put out that some of the visitors may like a conducted tour of the nearby Royal Mail facilities. This was availed of by many of the visitors.

It was a very auspicious start to the venture. Warren Buffett was the only one of the original backers who was able to attend, (Sir Andrew remarked to Lady Joan, with a twinkle in his eye, that he was only there to keep an eye on his newly liveried locomotive). A favourable report would be sent to the other backers once all the income and expenses had been worked out.

Later that evening, when the last of the visitors had been persuaded to go home, Sir Andrew and Lady Joan invited everybody back to the Manor House for drinks and a bite to eat – Mrs. McCarthy and Raquel Slater had more work to do, although they did receive a generous bonus for their efforts.

Following a number of telephone calls later the following week, it was agreed that a Heritage Railway would become a reality.

Here are a few pictures taken on the day -

I am sorry there are so many many photographs, but it was such a lovely day, in every respect, that scores of photo's were taken - I have chosen some of the more representative ones.

David.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »
Cool  :thumbsup:

Third pic down reminds me of home, for some reason.  :confused1:

Anyway, my addled brain aside, cool pics.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2019, 01:57:49 PM »
Open Day was obviously a great success. I've really enjoyed reading through this post David.

Thanks also for the photos. I really must try to paint a few more figures from my little bag of naked people.

Excellent!

Alec.

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2019, 02:40:07 PM »
Just between you and me Alec, those people were bought already painted.  :zippedmouth: One of these days. I will have a go at painting some people - but they are small!
David.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2019, 03:08:31 PM »
Just between you and me Alec, those people were bought already painted.  :zippedmouth: One of these days. I will have a go at painting some people - but they are small!

I don't know what it is, but I just can't bring myself to shell out £10 or £11 for half a dozen painted figures. I did receive two packs of the Gaugemaster ones last Christmas as gifts and in fairness they are quite splendidly detailed. The alternative seems to be a bag of about a hundred naked Chinese ones for tuppence ha'ppeny, but they look crude in comparison.

I bought a packet of two dozen better formed ones for about £3 and managed to paint one chappy reasonably well but it took ages and I got bored doing it! Maybe one of the forum members has a stash of unwanted painted people!  :-\

Alec.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
September Donations

anything