!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 2412 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2019, 08:18:52 PM »
We now have the next chapter in the history of 'Averingcliffe.

Part XII
The new S.T.E.A.M. Railway maintenance facility was finally completed and as many people stated, it looked rather futuristic. The complex housed a 6 lane engine shed which was described as being “crescent shaped, with straight edges and no right angles”.  The shed had none of the usual roof vents, as a system for extracting air had been designed by Jack Allen, the Site Engineer at Wakefield Dairies. He had done this alongside his work at the dairy, although with the permission of the dairy directors as the S.T.E.A.M. Railway had agreed that, in lieu of payment, the shunter engine used by the dairy would be maintained, free of charge, by the staff at the facility.

The original brick built 2 lane engine shed was retained, along with two outside lines. A hoist over one of these lines had been removed many years previously, but it was decided that a new hoist would be erected in the not too distant future. The original shed had been built in 1899. The facility manager, Roy Grace, was an ex-engine driver, so had a lot of knowledge of the workings of steam engines. He was a strict boss with a sense of humour. Sometimes, the staff at the facility did not know whether to laugh or cry when he spoke to them! The staff at the facility included Derek Trotter, who was the Supervisor, (or Boss as he liked to think). Derek’s brother Rodney, Colin Ball, who was the unofficial ‘sweeper upper’, Aubrey Boyce, Mike Fisher, Michael Pearce and Denzil Tulser. Raquel Slater comes to the facility for a couple of hours each day to prepare a lunch for the workers. Derek Trotter is rather keen on Raquel and they have been known to have a drink together in ‘The Duchess’. The Security Officer at the site, Danny', resides at 32 Railway Cuttings, very handy for work!

When the maintenance facility was finally fully operational, Sir Andrew Cooke remarked to his wife, Lady Joan, that, even though he had been privy to the plans, he had not realised just how extensive – and bright - the site was and further added that he was glad that a condition of the planning consent was that, except in an emergency situation, work at the facility would be restricted to the hours between 8am and 8pm, Monday Friday, with work also allowed on Saturday mornings.

Now for some pictures. The first is the view on entering the facility from the main line -

Then a couple of shots showing the old and new engine sheds -

This photograph is taken from outside the facility, looking over the old shed towards the new shed -

Now we have an overhead night photograph, taken by an aerial photographer -

This photograph shows the compound at the entrance to the facility, shown Danny approaching the barrier -

For those interested in the technical details, the 2 lane shed is a 'Metcalfe' kit and the 6 lane shed was designed and constructed by me! I made it from 1mm Plasticard sandwiched between  printed card, various bits of 'Plastruct' and paint. I have to admit that I am quite pleased with how it turned out, mainly because of its shape. The roof lifts off in case for when a loco' refuses to start.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2019, 08:56:05 PM »
Nifty detailing and  :greatpicturessign:

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2019, 09:20:55 PM »
David,

Thanks for the photographs, the back story and the modelling information. Just giving a splendid post such as this a "like" doesn't seem anywhere near enough.

Well done all round from me!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »
i like the contrasting steam shed and the modern TMD facility

thank you for your photos

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2019, 07:47:52 AM »
Great modelling David.  :greatpicturessign:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2019, 08:14:03 AM »
Great  stuff David.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   All looking really superb David   :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00