!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 973 times)

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2019, 09:19:44 PM »
That looks absolutely excellent, Chris.

The bridge is such a prominent feature of Torver.

A while back, I was musing on another thread about what I fancied doing after Poppingham and gave Torver and Colyton as options.  Obviously, Torver is not now a possibility but back then I rather fancied using a couple of baseboards with the join below the bridge.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2019, 09:47:42 PM »
That looks absolutely excellent, Chris.

Cheers, John.

The bridge is such a prominent feature of Torver.

It certainly is - dividing the whole site into two parts.
It's the best that I can make of it, with very limited information available. I've only found three photos showing the bridge, all with it well in the background, but I managed to get one scanned and blown up sufficiently to be able to get the correct arch and wall top profiles. The buttress walls are a bit of a guesstimate but look about right to me. It'll look better when the earthworks go in too.

A while back, I was musing on another thread about what I fancied doing after Poppingham and gave Torver and Colyton as options.  Obviously, Torver is not now a possibility but back then I rather fancied using a couple of baseboards with the join below the bridge.

Oh dear, I haven't kyboshed your plans, have I?

I'm doing it as two boards, although my join is at the bottom of the bridge embankment, just at the end of the goods shed siding rather than under the bridge itself.

As it is, I've had to significantly shorten the goods yard, especially the loop and long headshunt beyond, in order to get it to fit in a 6' length, so I also shortened the platform a little so I could get the bridge on the RH board to leave as much space as possible for the yard.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:48:59 PM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »
chris

latest acquisition - a push-pull driving brake - stunning - it looks superb under that bridge. thanks for the updates. will have to review this. Guess you have started slowly on Torver and back to the bridge have captured those tight clearances well. But superb photos chris

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »
Oh dear, I haven't kyboshed your plans, have I?

Not at all, Chris; I'll do something else.

You'll make a vastly better job of Torver than I could and I really like your plan to model a series of stations on the Coniston Railway.

With all best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
September Donations