!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North Derbyshire Raliways  (Read 6702 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
richard is indeed based at settle :

https://www.dccconcepts.com/contact-us/

i would have used a little grey and sparse on the black. remember steam sheds were filthy yet interesting places

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2019, 12:18:18 AM »
Back to the subject of ballast and colours - I found this blog and colour photos quite interesting, let me know what you think: http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13426

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2019, 02:06:16 AM »
Interesting link. However, to me at least, it reinforces the fact that ballast really is quite fine in the scale of things.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »
Especially in N. And of such annoyance it is best to be avoided at all costs  :D

Interesting link. However, to me at least, it reinforces the fact that ballast really is quite fine in the scale of things.  :thumbsup:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2019, 02:26:46 PM »
darren

to quote

Back to the subject of ballast and colours - I found this blog and colour photos quite interesting, let me know what you think: http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13426

sure good reference material on the typical shades of ballast
and useful , thanks for finding this link

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2019, 07:03:36 PM »
Cheers. I'm not actually convinced by the blending, so it's good to get a second opinion. In another section I have just gone for a straight cutover and then used a black paint wash to achieve the blend. Unsure of the better choice at the moment. More trial is required.

As others have said, real life track should guide us. Having been out for a trip along our local (single track, wooden sleepered, fishplated) branch line today, I can confirm that none of the ballast measured more than 4 inches in any dimension. This obviously translates into <0.5mm in N gauge. Personally I mix some beach sand in with 'fine' limestone ballast. It fills in the gaps, giving a more even overall look, eg:

Mike

My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline trevis

• Awards
Making a Hole Whole
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »
So as you will have noticed there has been a big gaping hole in the backdrop of my layout where the trains go through to the fiddleyard. Not exactly scenically pleasant on the eye. There were a couple of obvious choices - surround it with foliage and have trains disappear into the undergrowth; or, a bridge. I gave the latter a crack. The main reason being that I already planned a road along the back and the hole bissected its path.

A new technique this time around, air dried clay. I cut out the shape of my humpback bridge in foam and then rolled a piece of clay to lay on top (with my bespoke glass rolling pin). Once every thing was dry, a bit of brick facing and contrasting card and it does the job. Could be a whole lot better, certainly not protypical of anything I have ever seen, and I will give it another go sometime down the line, but for the time being the hole is gone and the roadworks have progressed to finish the back route between Langwith and Bolsover. The local Council couldn't be more pleased.

Lots of edges and detail yet to come. I really do need to start fixing some of these things into place and commit.  :D

Offline trevis

• Awards
The Green Grass of Home
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
There was a little triangle of dirt sitting between the Langwith wye, so I thought it was a good chance to get a feel for what the layout could look like if I started vegetating.

Of course poor old Reg Dakin's Garage is still precariously perched without footings or forecourt, and the trees still look somewhat artificial with their giant plastic boots; but, all in good time.

You can also see the start of the slag heap at t'pit in the background.

I love the way the bushes and grass frame the ballast. Really starts to come alive, even though there is still so far to go.

Offline trevis

• Awards
The green, green grass
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2019, 01:27:35 PM »
A little bit more greenery is starting to cover the rolling badlands of North Derbyshire. Giving my Peco Static Grass gizmo a whirl, with varying success on the first couple of times out. No doubt skills and techniques will improve, which is why I have started up the back of the layout. Almost time to get some men working on fencing so that the livestock don't run amok when they arrive from market.

Offline trevis

• Awards
Re: North Derbyshire Raliways
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
Time to get villaging. Went to work on a small corner of Shirebrook in an attempt to give it a more homely feel, rather than the very utilitarian terraces that so far abound. So a small laneway has been commissioned by the Council.

To start with some earthworks were needed to produce flat footings. Heavy Duty Spakfilla to the rescue once again. It never fails to produce the goods.

Then the boys went to work spreading the asphalt, in between two or ten cups of tea of course, and commensurate shovel resting. Followed by a touch of dremel along the road edges to give that camber.

And they were all ready to move in. A bit of fencing was needed at the big house to keep the children safe, and seeding of the ground. They haven't been able to stop the weeds from growing though.

I will get around to edges and weathering I promise. I am slowly making my way across the countryside spreading grime, but it won't hit this this village for awhile yet. And those ugly big tree stumps have got to go - eventually.

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2019, 02:50:09 PM »
This looks great - especially the big new house & trees. It'd probably be a pair of houses over here. It has been known for people with enough dosh to buy the pair and knock through to make it one though.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:44:57 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2019, 02:53:19 PM »
This looks great - especially the big new house & trees. It'd probably be a pair of houses over here.

Yes it is really a double. I may add a dividing fence in at some point, but I do kinda like the single big rich house at the end of the cul de sac

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2019, 09:58:54 AM »
Hah! I'll drop myself in it because no one mentioned it or noticed. Just went to the layout and realised the big house is sitting backwards with the front sits facing the backyard 🤣

All fixed now.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »
Hah! I'll drop myself in it because no one mentioned it or noticed. Just went to the layout and realised the big house is sitting backwards with the front sits facing the backyard 🤣

All fixed now.

I actually wondered when I first saw the pic. However, I didn't know what the other side looked like so didn't mention it. I wasn't going mad then!

Still looks all really good.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything