!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)  (Read 10459 times)

Alexjb and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2020, 08:50:17 AM »
[...]  This is taken at Steele Road, six miles of 1 in 70 gradient still to go, and if that steam is coming out of the coolant overflow the "Peak" will do well to reach Whitrope.  [...]

It doesn't look like steam heat time of year, even in Roxburghshire.  I expect that the driver will soon be wishing he had his 'A3' back!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2020, 09:05:45 PM »
Creating a landscape of Roxburghshire hills:

I'm basically making up the constructional details as I go along, based on ideas I have picked up from various places and using the materials I have to hand.  The blue stuff is 20mm insulating foam, with a basic framework cut and shaped to drop into the centre of the beam girders, and further infill pieces in between.  I used instant grab DIY adhesive but I'm not convinced it sticks polystyrene foam very well so I have gone round reinforcing the joints with offcuts attached with PVA wood glue.  Once the framework is in place and the glue has set I plan to add the roads, then cover the framework in some very thin (1mm) closed cell foam sheet that I intended to use as track underlay but decided against.  I am also gluing in strips of thin card to support the foam sheet.  The whole lot will then be covered with plaster-soaked bandages.

This has to be one of the most difficult bits of modelling I have undertaken.  The geography of Stobs is horribly complicated with slopes at all angles and directions: I have added two bridges as scenic breaks, and I'm having to compress a big expanse of open moorland the far side of the viaduct, and move other bits of landscape around to squeeze everything into the available space. The finished product won't be an exact replica of the landforms at Stobs but it has to look believable in its own right. 

Early days with this one, I have a lot of work to do here before I can commit it to plastering. I plan to spend the rest of this evening going through my Stobs photo archive and seeing what bits I need to change.  In other news, the replacement chips for the CANACC8 arrived and I can now control the points and uncoupler from the handset.  I still need to wire in the frog switching relay before I do too much more landscaping: it will be accessible from underneath, but much easier to do the initial wiring from above while I still can.

Richard

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2020, 11:40:24 AM »
That's going to be brilliant, Richard!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »
A bit more progress on a job that feels like wading through treacle at the moment:

A small section of embankment used to test my proposed top cover method.  Plaster soaked bandages slightly overlapped, then the whole lot given a coat of casting plaster mixed with sienna pigment powder and a dash of PVA glue.  I'm not entirely happy with the result: it has sagged a bit showing the outline of the formers underneath, and it isn't nearly strong enough.  Definitely needs supporting from below: I bought some aluminium mesh but it proved horrible stuff to try to shape and hold in place.  More development work needed.

The occupation bridge at the north end is the venerable Peco offering (a product now well over 50 years old and still going strong).  This is actually modified from a single track bridge and I need to do a bit more work on the shape of the arches.

Valley bottom and sides starting to take shape.  This is one of the more complex areas with road, rail and Barns Burn all intersecting.  I need to find an easy and unmessy way of shaping the polystyrene blocks after they have been glued in place.

Station house and access road. I'm really pushing the limits of forced perspective here: if you look at this aerial photo...

...you can see how much I have had to shorten the distance between the station house and the road behind it.  As a result the station access road is a lot steeper than I would have liked.  In fact, looking at that photo I'm now wondering whether to get rid of the road at the back and just have trees to hide the point where the station access road meets the backscene.  The problem there is that in 1961 there were far fewer trees than in that fairly recent aerial shot. Something to ponder on.

Richard

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2020, 08:56:55 PM »
Looking good there Richard, yes I know the problem with the formers I made the mistake with a hill on one of my previous attempts. You need plenty of cross bracing to maintain the shape you want. I am lucky this time I am making a hill on my new layout but it is just from scratch so not a reallocation. Mine has a tunnel underneath so I have boxed the track in this time with bits of hardwood and even card to protect the track.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2020, 11:07:47 PM »
I almost forgot:

I had an email from a journalist at the Hawick Paper after he saw something I had posted on a Borders railways Facebook group.  He asked me for some more details, I didn't expect anything to come of it, but here I am in print.

Richard

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2020, 08:40:43 AM »
Well done Richard - nice to see your efforts in print.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: June 21, 2020, 03:16:58 PM »

Not much to report: I have been a bit short of time for modelling but have been picking at the landscaping in odd moments.  After a bit of experimenting I am now using aluminium mesh covered in plaster-soaked bandages for the basic landforms. I spent some time today blending in the viaduct and trackbed with DAS modelling clay, and I'm quite happy with the results so far.  No hurry as I keep reminding myself: even if I got the layout finished next month it would take me a couple of years to assemble enough rolling stock for an exhibition.

Richard

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2020, 10:34:43 PM »
I think I might have to redo the landforms on the station board.  I have made the hill behind the station much too big.  It towers over the station. Here's the comparison shots:

No big deal, it's all just polystyrene blocks at the moment.  I also have an issue with the area behind the viaduct: I don't think I profiled the join between the two boards correctly, so I have a savagely steep incline on the road after it passes under the viaduct and starts the climb up towards Barns. That one is going to be a lot harder to deal with, and if I don't do something the road up onto the moors will end up almost flat.  I've walked that road so I know what it should look like.  Better to deal with it now than spend the next ten years having to live with something that looks wrong.

Richard

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2020, 10:13:43 PM »
Second bite at building the landscape behind the station:

The shimmering stuff is aluminium mesh, attached to the wooden bits using a staple gun, and with self tapping screws to pull it into shape over the polystyrene formers.  The screws only just have enough grip to hold the mesh in place, but once the bandage and plaster cover is in place it should all stay put.

I used the zoom facility on the camera to try and get a similar perspective to the original.  Taking an inch or so off the hillside has made a big difference.

Starting to get an idea here of how the station will look, with the station house set well back from the platform and the ticket office next to it.

Another comparison shot, this time looking North.  Original photo by J L Stevenson from Bill Lynn collection.

I still have to build up the embankment behind the Up platform, but hopefully I will be able to get some plaster and bandages down this weekend. There is a lot of scenery and very little railway in this layout: not everyone's cup of tea but Rule One applies to all aspects of the hobby :)

Richard

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2020, 10:27:47 PM »
Looks to be a very good reproduction based on the original photos Richard.

Very nice job  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek

Cheers Derek

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2020, 10:31:48 PM »
Richard,

I think that looks a lot more like the photograph, good to see you have kept the front face of the cutting and not been tempted to reduce the height there.

Looking good, a railway in the landscape

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2020, 10:45:23 PM »
I wish that I could construct scenery as good as this - jealousy is not the word for it!

Regards,

Alex

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: June 26, 2020, 09:00:42 AM »
I wish that I could construct scenery as good as this - jealousy is not the word for it!

Regards,

Alex

Seconded!  Richard's own little bit of Roxburghshire in Norfolk.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2020, 09:29:37 AM »
Inspirational work Richard, already it is starting to capture the bleakness of the area, and when finished to the standard I know it will be I think it is likely be by far the most authentic N gauge Waverley Route layout on the circuit (and in this I do include the rather fine Riddings Junction (1964) layout of many years back).

Roy

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal