!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)  (Read 10447 times)

Alexjb and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
Re: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2020, 03:17:04 PM »
Richard,

You were lucky to get away with that, I did a similar thing, simply wired a din plug for the hand held controller the wrong way round and put 16v through the output, that soon smoked a little, but again quick kill and all survived.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2020, 10:26:17 PM »
Every time I start a new layout I make a solemn promise that this time I will route all my wiring neatly, use colour coding, document everything as I go along, and under no circumstances will I end up with a tangled mess of multicoloured spaghetti whose purpose is a complete mystery.  And then this happens. 

Every. Single. Time.

The colour coding plan fell to bits when I started running out of some colours of wire and decided to substitute similar colours.  Green is pretty similar to blue, right?  To be fair it will look a lot better when I have tidied up the routing with cable ties.  The main board wiring isn't too far off being done, once the replacement chips for my CANACC8 arrive.  I have put in servo motor feeds for the two signals and wiring for the block bells which the two operators (one at each end of the layout) will use to offer and accept trains.

Next big milestone will be when I transport the main boards to my workshop, reunite them with the storage loop boards and try to run some trains.  Hopefully that will happen before the end of this month.

Richard

Offline greenlaneman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2020, 08:11:45 PM »
belstone,
For your information, for problems with MERG kits, contact the kit sales manager by email: -
kitsales@merg.org.uk
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2020, 05:53:07 PM »
Still waiting for a few bits to arrive so I can finish the electrics and start the landscaping, so I decided to make a start on the platforms.  These follow my usual construction methods, being made largely of balsa, with Metcalfe printed card stone facings.

There were three recesses under the platform to provide access for the point rodding and cranks: one on the Up side in front of the signalbox, one directly opposite the box on the Down side, and another one closer to the north end of the platforms.  I suspect this last one was for the crossover which was removed some time before 1955.  Above each recess is a removable wooden cover on the platform.

With the platforms in place (although needing surfaces, edging stones etc) I was able to temporarily position the structures I built a while ago.  Starting to look a bit more railway like here.

June 1957: a grimy St Margarets "B1" pauses briefly at Stobs with a Carlisle - Edinburgh stopper.  Does this look like N gauge?

Richard

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »
It's not a perfect replica but the main elements are coming together:

Richard

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2020, 06:08:53 PM »

Richard

Yes, yes they are, looking good Richard

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2020, 06:37:05 PM »

June 1957: a grimy St Margarets "B1" pauses briefly at Stobs with a Carlisle - Edinburgh stopper.  Does this look like N gauge?

Richard

Richard when I first looked at the photo, I didnít think it looked like N gauge, unfortunately the large screw head gave it away.

Coming on nicely

Stay safe

Mike H 8)

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2020, 07:29:50 PM »

Richard

Great progress Richard, from what I know of Stobs including many books and pictures of the station and surrounds already you are capturing the feel of the location quite brilliantly.

Inspirational work, a standard I shall aspire to even if I can't hope to match it when I eventually make a start on Heriot.

Roy

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2020, 10:19:23 PM »

Great progress Richard, from what I know of Stobs including many books and pictures of the station and surrounds already you are capturing the feel of the location quite brilliantly.

Inspirational work, a standard I shall aspire to even if I can't hope to match it when I eventually make a start on Heriot.

Roy

I'd be the first to admit I have become a bit obsessed with the place.  I'm always studying photos trying to spot little details that I can build into the layout, like those access spaces under the platforms.  It was a small, simple station but there is a lot going on there if you look closely enough.

Heriot was a lovely little station but I'll be interested to see how you manage the scenic breaks.

Richard

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »

Roy

I'd be the first to admit I have become a bit obsessed with the place.  I'm always studying photos trying to spot little details that I can build into the layout, like those access spaces under the platforms.  It was a small, simple station but there is a lot going on there if you look closely enough.

Heriot was a lovely little station but I'll be interested to see how you manage the scenic breaks.

Richard

Hi Richard

The only viable solution for scenic breaks for Heriot I will have in the likely space available given the topography of the area will be "holes in the sky" disguised as best I can with trees and vegetation.

Along with Steele Road and Stobs, Heriot is one of my favourite Waverley stations and one i have had on my list to model for many years, but unlike Lesser Bytham my current project it will be designed to be light enough to exhibit from the outset and i will make myb own boards.

Regards

Roy

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »

Roy

Richard

Hi Richard

The only viable solution for scenic breaks for Heriot I will have in the likely space available given the topography of the area will be "holes in the sky" disguised as best I can with trees and vegetation.

Along with Steele Road and Stobs, Heriot is one of my favourite Waverley stations and one i have had on my list to model for many years, but unlike Lesser Bytham my current project it will be designed to be light enough to exhibit from the outset and i will make myb own boards.

Regards

Roy

Heriot is quite close to me, Roy.  Please let me know if you ever want some present-day photographs of the location to help with your planning.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2020, 04:28:52 PM »

Heriot is quite close to me, Roy.  Please let me know if you ever want some present-day photographs of the location to help with your planning.

Best wishes.

John

Hi john

Thank you, that is a really generous offer, when I start planning I will certainly take you up on it.

Kind Regards

Roy

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2020, 10:02:25 PM »
A fairly unproductive day due to laziness.  At this rate the real railway through Stobs will have reopened before I get my model finished.  However I have made a start on the last and largest of the station buildings, the stationmaster's house.

This was a bit unusual for the Waverley as it was set back from the railway and performed no function other than as a home: tickets were issued (and presumably the goods operation also) from a separate ticket office.  Construction will follow my usual methods: drawn on the computer using photos as a reference, an inner shell from mounting card, and then clad either in embossed Plastikard or Metcalf printed stone card, I haven't yet decided which.  Like the signalbox and waiting room this will have internal lighting in a couple of rooms at least, so it will probably need some kind of interior.  On the other hand, the curtains were probably closed at night.  But if I model it with closed curtains it will look wrong in daylight.  Servo-operated movable curtains? I've seen dafter ideas.

Meanwhile, a vision of past times to come:

A J35, 64499 of Carlisle Canal, detaches a vanfit for Stobs from Trip 13, the 07.00 Canal-Hawick as a B1, 61184 (St Margarets) approaches the station with the 06.35 Edinburgh-Carlisle all stations.  The crew of Trip 13 were on bonus and on a good day could achieve timings which were theoretically impossible, but even so the 06.35 must have been held up quite badly for the two trains to meet at Stobs.

I wish I'd been there.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2020, 10:14:59 PM »
That's an intriguing piece of rolling stock behind the B1. Can I ask what it is please, Richard?

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2020, 10:56:47 PM »
That's an intriguing piece of rolling stock behind the B1. Can I ask what it is please, Richard?

It's an ex Great Western "Fruit D", a Dapol model.  They were XP rated and steam piped, so they were often used for general parcels traffic.  One of the Waverley Route's more endearing characteristics was the habit of putting one or two assorted (very assorted) parcels vans at the front of even the fastest passenger trains, and quite often a couple of Vanfits at the back as well. This gem from derbysulzers.com shows a "Peak" on the St Pancras - Edinburgh "Waverley" express with a four-wheeled Southern parcels van tucked in behind the loco.  This is taken at Steele Road, six miles of 1 in 70 gradient still to go, and if that steam is coming out of the coolant overflow the "Peak" will do well to reach Whitrope. (Photo credit: Bruce McCartney)

Richard

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal