!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cavalex Models Redland/Lafarge PGA  (Read 5636 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cavalex Models Redland/Lafarge PGA
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
thanks

more interested in reading about the wagons, not the politics or people 's views  - can we stick to the wagons please ?

i agree with the choice of PGA that Cavalex have gone for and hope this comes to fruition

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »
more interested in reading about the wagons, not the politics or people 's views  - can we stick to the wagons please ?

The trouble is that's all that is going to happen - reading about them - unless there is a wider and engaged marketing push from firms like Cavalex and the GT3 mob.
The Emperor had no clothes on for a long time until someone actually stood up and told him to get his kit on!

Bob

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »
As to choice of prototypes you can't please everyone, all you can do is try to please enough people to make any particular model work.  I like the choice of PGA that Cavalex have gone for - although in long rakes it is a bit geographically restricted, as soon as you look at some of the flows that they get mixed into you realise just how much the PGA complements a lot of other wagons that are available (or will be available soon) eg JGAs, HOAs etc etc. I really hope it makes it over the line.

The BBA seems like a sure fire seller to me. The Bardon JGAs I think are attractive prototypes and certainly recently they've got about a fair bit - there's often a mixed rake I see in the morning at Neasden heading (empty?) north. The TEA is another useful wagon to fill the massive gap between Farish's 1960s TEAs and our 2000s TEAs, plus they are used as barrier wagons for quite a bit of stuff going through Derby (particularly S stock).

Yes I guess what I meant was that there’s more market in OO to capitalise on those arguably less obvious offerings. The TEAs are a good example - I agree it’s a totally different wagon to the other models, but there must be a degree of market saturation from the other two, and in N there just isn’t the market size to make things work. The BBA, I agree, seems a far more obvious choice to push.

I think the publicity on the n gauge PGA has been detrimental, possibly underestimating the popularity off the strength of the OO gauge one, they rebuilt their site at an awkward time too. I definitely want a few for a mixed JGA/PGA/HOA rake.

The readership of RMWeb is so much bigger I understand why manufacturers post there, if they copied and pasted stuff to here and didn’t come back to answer all the questions I imagine people would be up in arms, a bit of a lose/lose.

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »
The readership of RMWeb is so much bigger I understand why manufacturers post there, if they copied and pasted stuff to here and didn’t come back to answer all the questions I imagine people would be up in arms, a bit of a lose/lose.

It is hard for new manufacturers to get it right - and also older ones get it wrong too.
Hornby has a very good PR department, but is millions in the red (but mostly due to a period of mismanagement)
Bachmann/Farish used to be good but the new website is a nightmare for model development news.
Peco is I think non existent (apart from Railway Modeller).
Dapol's Digest started with good intentions and has now ground to a halt - so the cost of running such an endeavour should not be underestimated.
Revolution do very well using RMWeb, the Ngauge IO site and the N gauge Forum - perhaps they have no lives outside of work and Revolution?
DJ Models started well, using RMWeb and the N Gauge Forum but again as time progressed, and the questions became more related to product delivery rather than development, it got to a point where Dave stopped using the media at all and (without scope creep) we know what happened in the end.

So what is best? Having run Departments in Multinationals, and now my own business, I'm firmly of the view that if you keep dealing with enquiries and keep the top line (order book) full, most of the stresses of where the costs go don't matter.
If orders/expressions of interest wane, that's when you need to worry.
And that is when many companies cut costs in the wrong places.
Keeping the order book full means keeping your name in people's minds regularly, and for the right reasons.
Revolution have I think achieved this.

Ted Talk Over!
Best
Bob

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2019, 02:47:38 PM »
I wanted to avoid appearing a Revolution fanboi (even though that may be entirely the case :D ), but I agree they do very well at social media, which I think is a total minefield, and I don't envy any manufacturer moving into that world!

Dave was overly friendly in his tone and over shared IMO. It felt like he was always posting as "Dave your mate from the pub", which isn't appropriate. Cav and Alex are both long term active posters on RMWeb, and have obviously continued there because it's familiar, which again I wholly understand, even if it does alienate another group (ie a portion of the readership here).

I know there was some really valid constructive criticism levelled at them here (maybe this thread), that their post wasn't sufficiently clear, if you didn't know your TOPS codes, nor who Cavalex was (see previously point that they are well known on RMWeb) then the offering wasn't clear. It's certainly easy to see how you could end up with negative PR from something which should ostensibly be a great platform to connect with your customers.

I really hope they manage to deliver some N gauge wagons (or the 91/mk4s), because I'm a big fan of having more players in the market place, and I think companies like Cavalex, Accurascale and Revolution who are changing the way things are done makes things really exciting as a consumer. If they do them right (as I'm sure they will) the weathered TEAs could be a superb offering.

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 03:04:34 PM »
they do very well at social media
Well that rules me out as the voice of reason :)

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 03:19:10 PM »

My post was about the wagons, using an analogy that referenced politics! :moony:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »

They'd only need to visit, say, once a week and spend 20 minutes reading and maybe 40 minutes drafting one reply covering all questions raised in the previous week. If they can't be bothered putting in such little effort to attract my custom, they ain't gonna get my custom.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2019, 03:30:20 PM »
See my subsequent point about alienating a customer base.

That may satisfy your expectation, but you know others will be saying "it's been 5 days, why haven't they replied, they obviously don't care?", and ultimately they're selling products to the OO gauge market as it is. Maybe they're content with that for now, we're here discussing their products without their input.

As two modellers who were already established on one forum I can fully understand their staying there and only coming here occasionally (Cav started this thread). If you have specific questions why not tag them?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:31:48 PM by njee20 »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
It has been noted by all. Hope and fingers crossed to a production and sales

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »
Gah! Browser crashed mid-reply.

Cavalex posted all the info on their website (which is their primary communication tool), certainly our website makes it easy (too easy sometimes!) to auto-post anything that goes on the website straight on to FB and Twitter.  The reality is that Cavalex (like Ben and I) are two people doing it in their spare time. Cav posts on here, but it is perfectly valid (and no slight to the NGF or potential customers) to post on RMweb and not here (or vice versa - it has been several months since I posted on RMweb as I found I was spending way too much time on forums so I've taken a conscious view not to visit so many).

Sorry if it upsets some of our customers(!), but an hour or so a week soon mounts up and where do you stop? RMweb, NGF, Facebook (particularly the FB groups), Twitter, and the 5-10 various other forums that might be interested in a product. So you use the easiest tools and places you are familiar with (and that have a large audience). Again at the risk of offending people, the audience on RMweb is several times the size of here.

Cheers Mike

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
Well, IMHO regarding the PGA in N, either Cavalex ain't hitting their intended audience, or their audience ain't buying it. Example: I'm their intended audience (modelling 'British Era 8: 1982–1994 British Rail Sectorisation' onwards) and I ain't buying it. :P

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »
That is of course your choice! But if the reason is that Cavalex didn't post regularly enough on the NGF then I hope you don't buy any Farish or Dapol products ;-)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2019, 05:13:22 PM »
My only contribution to this thread is that I have no interest in this model and up until now have not heard of let alone had experience of Cavalex, in exactly the same way that could be applied to Sonic until RevolutioN teamed up for the 56xx.
I think it is fairly well known by manufacturers RMWeb is the larger group to aim for, especially if they produce models in more than one gauge. Likewise, they are possibly aware members of the NGF are also members of RMWeb and could transfer info across. Since I joined the NGF in 2011 I've tried to get the likes of Farish, Dapol, DJM, Peco etc to have closer ties with us but, although we achieved some small successes (Farish, Dapol and DJM did at one stage have membership) for whatever reason they have not sustained it or stated why they moved away.
Yes, it may seem a bit blinkered not to use a pure N gauge forum to promote N gauge products rather than a multi gauge medium but, hey, that's their choice (even though, in the main, I believe we are more polite and receptive :))
I wish them all success as, hopefully, it may lead to something I do want.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2019, 06:21:37 PM »
That is of course your choice! But if the reason is that Cavalex didn't post regularly enough on the NGF then I hope you don't buy any Farish or Dapol products ;-)

The reason isn't that they don't post regularly here Mike, but the result is (partly) because they don't.

Farish, Dapol, et al are of a sufficient size that they needn't do much direct marketing. The retailers and media will do a lot of marketing for them - I receive emails from Hattons, Rails, et al, and read pieces in magazines like RM that wet my appetite and draw my interest.

Despite the constant lament that we in N don't have all the products available we want, I find more available than I can afford. So those who market best will get my custom.

I'm not against Cavalex. I'm for them and all/any other independents. :beers:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal