!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cavalex Models Redland/Lafarge PGA  (Read 3167 times)

Offline RBE

• Trade Count: (0)
    • RBE Concepts - Shapeways site
    • Awards
Cavalex Models Redland/Lafarge PGA
« on: December 31, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
Hi I just wanted to make everyone aware that the 2mm version of or PGA wagon is now available to pre order. We need to reach a certain level before the wagon can go ahead so if anyone who is interested please pre-order as soon as possible to ensure success we would be very greatful.

The pre-order discount stage has been extended to the end of February for those wanting to take advantage of that.

Please visit our Cavalex Models website for more info.

http://cavalexmodels.com/?page_id=89

Regards
Cav
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:50:40 PM by RBE »

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Cavalex PGA
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »
Thank you for the reminder, four ordered  :thumbsup:

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:26:56 AM »
Thanks, much apreciated!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »
How are orders looking Cav? Iím excited by the prospect, the OO gauge ones look lovely.

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
I don't have the figures to hand but it has been very disappointing so far, hopefully due to it simply being christmas.

I am really keen to get these made as they are lovely, but more importantly spell the yard stick by which we decide whether N gauge models are worth pursuing at all for Cavalex moving forward. Our intial plan was to do all of our 4mm models as 2mm too.

As a 2mm modeller myself I have a vested interest in Cavalex producing 2mm scale models as its in my sphere of interest. It would be a real shame if we as 2mm scale modellers were to miss out.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »
Thatís a real shame. As you say, hopefully just Christmas and things will pick up. Was there a separate thread on RMWeb for the N gauge one? I was following the OO gauge project too, so I canít remember where I saw that you were downsizing them.

Itís a very versatile wagon - geographically, era wise and consist wise, so would be a shame (and frankly a surprise) if it didnít gain critical mass.

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »
There is a seperate thread on RMWeb yes. We had simply tons of people asking for these (the 2mm version) when we started the 4mm version but that has not turned into orders so far.

The design work for the tooling is there, we just need to get the orders to push the button now.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 10:21:25 AM »
Well my fingers remain crossed, Iíd like some, and having another manufacturer Ďin the ganeí Is only good, particularly one doing modern freight wagons!

Offline honk843

• N Gauge Society Number: 1800
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »
My expression of interest is the death knell to all crowd-funding projects. If it was definite I would order four and I may buy more once seen. I am waiting for the N Gauge Society to cancel the Hunslet and D.J. models to cancel the King then all my expressions of interest would have been a waste of time.

Just as a thought though about this particular project; is it intended to produce this in both N gauge and 2mmFS or would a 2mmFS need to be re-wheeled?

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 11:23:46 AM »
I am waiting for the N Gauge Society to cancel the Hunslet and D.J. models to cancel the King then all my expressions of interest would have been a waste of time.

The NGS Hunslet is not a crowdfunded model. It is already tooled and will be going into production very shortly.  The discount pre-order deadline expired at midnight on Dec 31st though.

Apologies for thread drift, just important to correct a possible misconception.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
Its a very nice model to have but at £25 its a few pounds too expensive to contemplate a long rake on a price per inch basis.  The Revolution HOA at £28.50 for a wagon nearly twice the length gives an 8 wagon rake for £228, to match this length with PGAs will be about £375, so I think that orders of 2 or 4 are more likely to create mixed traffic trains.

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »
My expression of interest is the death knell to all crowd-funding projects. If it was definite I would order four and I may buy more once seen. I am waiting for the N Gauge Society to cancel the Hunslet and D.J. models to cancel the King then all my expressions of interest would have been a waste of time.

Just as a thought though about this particular project; is it intended to produce this in both N gauge and 2mmFS or would a 2mmFS need to be re-wheeled?

If you don't pre order then it wont happen. I know that it takes courage sometimes to take the plunge but there is really no financial risk for you until the tooling is made at which point the model is going ahead in any case.

We rely on people backing our projects in order for them to go ahead, as for the quality of the wagon, I feel that we have already delivered with the 4mm version.

As for 2mmfs, at this stage there are no plans to sell them as 2mmfs rtr. The demand is just too low. The wagon would need 2mmfs wheelsets dropped in.

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 11:41:06 AM »
Its a very nice model to have but at £25 its a few pounds too expensive to contemplate a long rake on a price per inch basis.  The Revolution HOA at £28.50 for a wagon nearly twice the length gives an 8 wagon rake for £228, to match this length with PGAs will be about £375, so I think that orders of 2 or 4 are more likely to create mixed traffic trains.

Whilst I agree, we are constrained by the cost of developent, tooling and assembly. We would love them to be cheaper and our intentions were to make them so but needs as must.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »
Itís also inline with the Realtrack/Accurascale PCA, and those run almost entirely as block trains, whilst PGAs can be mixed in with all sorts of things, so an order of 3-4 is totally reasonable.

Comparing with other models seems a bit futile and thoroughly unhelpful. You could argue the HOAs are overpriced when Dapolís MJAs are only £32 for a pair of bogie wagons.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 08:15:26 PM »
Its a very nice model to have but at £25 its a few pounds too expensive to contemplate a long rake on a price per inch basis.

Hi there,

I think judging a model purely on a "price per inch" basis is a little narrow.

These PGAs are, as has been said before, very useful models and as far as I can tell will feature similarly high levels of detail to Cavalex's very well received 4mm models.

These details are the same no matter what length of wagon.  It is also worth bearing in mind that the overall production run numbers have a very significant bearing on prices - if you're amortising tooling costs then there's a big difference in unit cost between selling 2000 models and 4000.

I have ordered a few to mix in with NGS JGAs, older style Farish PGAS and Farish JGAs as this is how I used to see them running near me in Cambridgeshire before the HOAs took over.

I hope this model succeeds, as it will (a) bring a new manufacturer into the N gauge market and (b) be a very useful model in its own right and (c) possibly prompt the scaling down of other Cavalex models such as the BBA steel carrier.

Cheers

Ben A.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything