!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New to N Gauge, help required  (Read 652 times)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New to N Gauge, help required
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 11:12:02 AM »
Multiple outputs via banana sockets I guess, but can I ask what the heat shrinked connection is, please?
The box was built in the late 80s for my previous layout, and has served me ever since.

The D-Sub 15 is actually the main layout connection and feeds up to the main control panel.  The terminal posts are for test purposes or when I just want to use the box as a bench power supply.   

To be honest, if I were building it now I'd probably use a different multi-pin connector to the layout with more current carrying headroom per pin, but the D-Sub works fine.  About 10 years ago I uprated the actual cable, which is why it's now a pair of thicker cables heat-shrinked together. The original cabling I'd used was too thin (computer data cable)

Left to Right:
1x 24V DC internal CDU with charging/ready LEDs (used with the previous layout before I started fitting individual CDUs to each point).
4x 16V AC (now used as 3x controller power plus 1x accessory power)
1x 24V DC (CDU power bus)
1x  6V DC (I think now disconnected, formerly used for powering the drive for a Peco turntable on the previous layout)

Actually, I wouldn't mind see a pic with the lid off!  :beers:

It's all packed away in our garage at the moment. Perhaps one day I'll snap a photo, but it's not that interesting!  There's a main fuse on the back, the mains is then split to 3 transformers, the outputs go into a choc-bloc array before distribution to the D-Sub and the terminal posts. There's a CDU in there and a couple of bridge rectifiers for the DC outputs.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: New to N Gauge, help required
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2019, 08:41:57 PM »
Thanks for that!  :thumbsup:

Oh, and by the way, G'day from Australia, Lee, and welcome to the NGF!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00