!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR Aberdare Update  (Read 428 times)

Offline GoesWhenReady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Swindon Style
    • Awards
GWR Aberdare Update
« on: December 23, 2018, 05:23:55 PM »
A few years ago I'd begun a N gauge GWR Aberdare double frame locomotive. Simply put, this did not turn out as hoped. Lack of materials to make an adequate working chassis meant the first attempt went quite poorly. It simply wasn't possible to machine working cranks at such small scale - at least not by scratch and with what little materials I had to go by. For a while I simply kept the finished body in storage.

Eventually earlier this Summer I did get around to completing what I'd begun as a display model that could still be used on a layout. I'm not really disappointed as the final results look nice (for a kitbash at least), and it can still go alongside operating locos as scenic display. As for a layout I'm presently looking at a smaller diorama due to lack of space but as long as there's some little piece of line for the locos to reside on I'll be content for the time being. Model building is fun and I do apologize for not getting around to much with N gauge. That said I do still have the Grafar Pannier and a fleet of freight stock so I've got something to begin with.

With all that, I do intend to keep up what I've begun. Progress really depends on how much time and resources there are but I intend to stick around here for a while.

Would upload a photo but am having problems with the photo uploader so will try again later.
Modelling the GWR in N - slowly but surely.

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
Re: GWR Aberdare Update
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
Sounds like and interesting project, although quite a challenge?

Offline GoesWhenReady

• Swindon Style
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:17:58 AM »
Photo uploader says PDF is the only supported format. Until I figure out the uploading system I'll host the photo on Photobucket - basically where I'm at, the model is a display piece but looks nice as a part of the scenery. Think I'll have to arrange tiny nameplates and perhaps tender insignia to really finish it off, but despite its setbacks it does make for a decent craft. Wonder if Bachmann & Co. will ever try an N gauge 'City of Truro'? In the meantime I'll contemplate further establishing some form of layout or diorama for this and the other pieces to reside upon. I still say the GWR fare looks great in N gauge.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:53:08 AM »
GoesWhenReady , Would the Union Mills City of Truro chassis fit your loco I donít know about the wheel spacing etc but itís worth a try .The tender on the Union Mills City does have the motor in so will definately be higher than yours ,They are out of stock at the moment but Colin Heard said he might be able to do another batch at the end of the year.
Bob Tidbury

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:01:58 AM »
Could be tricky as the Aberdare is a 2-6-0 as opposed to the CoT 4-4-0 but some of the loco builders on the forum can work sheer magic from seeming impossibilities.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 06:13:28 PM »
Yes I did realise one is a 4-4-0 and one is a 2-6 -0 But I was thinking if Colin could supply the extra wheels and the bit that goes on the wheels then it would be possible to make two new coupling rods and then add the extra wheels Ijust thought it might just be a help to make a motorised loco .I know it is way beyond my skill but if the OP can make the loco as good as the one he has made then he would be more than capable of using the bits to improve it even more .
Bob Tidbury

Offline GoesWhenReady

• Swindon Style
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 04:30:54 AM »
I didn't know of the Union Mills CoT until just earlier. I am pleased with how the Aberdare body turned out though I feel a bit ashamed at how long it took to get it finished as a display.  :-[
In regards to making a rolling chassis... If just the Union Mills wheels and other pieces could be supplied I think the Aberdare could be made to roll. Am wondering if the Dukedog's wheels would actually be the right size unless they reused the same on both 4-4-0 models? Tender driven motor would be acceptable even if it means changing the tender body out to the taller style.

With the CoT orders on hold until the year's end I'll see to making up a little layout square in the meantime. The Aberdare does look nice with its rake of freight, even if just a display for now.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything