!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fitting micro trains couplings to European stock  (Read 421 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fitting micro trains couplings to European stock
« on: December 06, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »
Hi, does anyone have any experience of the kind of surgery described in the thread title?

:uneasy:

Offline Platy767

• Awards
Re: Fitting micro trains couplings to European stock
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 12:57:38 AM »
Well, seeing that Britain is still part of Europe, I can show you some couplings on various stock. The Minitrix ones may be of interest to you if you have Minitrix European stock.

The Minitrix are an easy conversion because there was a specific coupler model for the Minitrix draft box. There was no surgery required for my Minitrix conversions. The other examples, Peco and a couple of kit builds had different levels of work required. The Peco and Graham Farish wagons required me to cut away the existing coupler and box completely and file a flat surface for mounting the MT coupler. MT have a multipurpose gauge to assist in getting the coupler mounted at the correct height. The kit builds just required a piece of packing on the underside of the wagon body to lower the coupler to the correct mounting height. Hopefully you can see from the attached photos. Apologies for the photos, but the macro facility on my digital camera is pretty woeful.

I made these conversions back in the 1990s, so the MT range may have changed since the. If you are going to use MT couplers I suggest you definitely get yourself a gauge.

Can't help you with Fleischmann or the other manufacturers.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 07:45:37 AM »
Excellent information Platy767,  :thankyousign:

Most of my stock is peco, Dapol or gf, so I will need to perform some surgery. You have confirmed my own research in that I will have to remove the coupling completely and glue an MT coupling to the wagon chassis. This will need to be packed to the correct height.

Once again, thank you for your reply. I will now be able to order the correct MT parts.  :thumbsup:

Donít mention The Europe farce !

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 02:31:20 AM »
I found my box of coupler bits and thought I could add to the previous information.

The Minitrix tank loco and wagon used the 1128 MT-7 Magne-Matic Couplers with Adaptors Universal Coupler Conversion Kit (I thought it was Minitrix specific, but no, it is a universal adaptor. There are 3 versions of this universal coupler with different length shanks.)

I have tried 1015/1016 "Wide Angle Short Draft Gear Body Mount", 1027 "Body Mount Short Shank Couplers" and 1025 "Body Mount Couplers" that all required assembly. That is, they were kits of coupler parts. I found the assembly process very tricky with tiny springs and pieces of plastic and I doubt I could achieve it these days. Fortunately the 1025 comes Assembled as 1023, and this would be the one I suggest to start with.

I'm not sure about glueing the coupler into position. I recall that the material is not very glue friendly. There is lots of discussion on the internet about that! I use the supplied screws and there is a little drill and tap kit to assist in getting the correct size tapping hole and thread.

Here is a picture of the coupler gauge I mentioned. It sits between the rails and the left hand side has a reference coupler and a piece of metal sheet to sit across the track to set the trip pin height. The right hand side sets the height for the underbody mounting and the underside has some magnets that assist you in fitting the decoupling magnets between the rails.

Here is a 1023 Coupler (purchased as an assembled coupler)

...and finally here is a selection of couplers. From left to right they a DG, BB, Rapido, MT1027, MT1023

Good luck with your conversions!

Mark

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
Excellent information again Mark. It was the 1023 that I identified, nice to get confirmation!  :thankyousign:

Offline McRuss

• N Gauge Society Number: 18877
    • Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 06:38:42 PM »
Hello,

a friend of mine have installed some Microtrains couplers in some old easter germand Piko goods wagons. He mentioned, that you have to adjust the height of the pin, because, the coupler will sit beneath the puffers, so if you use the original length of the pin, these will reach below the trackhead. What I recently found out is, that it is possible to couple Rollingstock with Dapol Easyshunt couplers and Rollingstock with Microtrains and or Kato magnetic knuckle couplers together.
By coincidence I made a video today showing the results of my test to uncouple Dapol Easyshunt couplers with Neodym magnets, and at the end you can see my friends coverted rollingstock. The Brawa DR V100 and DR Rekowagon (reconstructed coaches) are equipped the Dapol Easyshunt couplers and the 2 axle goods wagons from Piko are equipped the Microtrains couplers.

Markus

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything