New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Changing Lenz Silver Mini PLus CVs  (Read 121 times)

Offline doug22150

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Changing Lenz Silver Mini PLus CVs
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
I have a Union Mills T9 fitted with a Silver Mini decoder.  It runs very well indeed except at shunting speeds, when it is very jerky.  I've been trying to change CV50 but the Lenz Manual is virtually unintelligible to me! Is there a simple guide anywhere to the Silver Mini plus?

In the Lenz manual under CV50, Motor Configuration, it says that the "motor type" (and I know that non-one seems to know what these types are!) should be entered in bits 0-3 as a decimal number (1-5) but that doesn't seem to stack up with setting the other bits up in binary.  Does it mean that, having decided on the motor type as 1-5, it then has to be converted to binary so that it can be input in bits 1-3?  If, on the other hand, it literally means setting CV 50 to one of those numbers, how can the EMF and other parameters in CV50 be changed?  I have already tried simply setting CV50 to 1-5 and the results are rather inconclusive.

I understand that Lenz are really good decoders and it's a shame that they are so difficult (for a newcomer to DCC) to understand!

Offline MacRat

• Awards
Re: Changing Lenz Silver Mini PLus CVs
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »
Hi,
check this document https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/pdf/SILVER_Manual_e.pdf .
Maybe it gives more details. regarding motor type it says
- motor types 0..3 have preset parameters, type 4 and 5 are special
- factory setting is 0
- try 0, 1, 2, 3 and see which you like more

Online Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 01:32:45 PM »
I have a Union Mills T9 fitted with a Silver Mini decoder.  It runs very well indeed except at shunting speeds, when it is very jerky.  I've been trying to change CV50 but the Lenz Manual is virtually unintelligible to me! Is there a simple guide anywhere to the Silver Mini plus?

In the Lenz manual under CV50, Motor Configuration, it says that the "motor type" (and I know that non-one seems to know what these types are!) should be entered in bits 0-3 as a decimal number (1-5) but that doesn't seem to stack up with setting the other bits up in binary.  Does it mean that, having decided on the motor type as 1-5, it then has to be converted to binary so that it can be input in bits 1-3?  If, on the other hand, it literally means setting CV 50 to one of those numbers, how can the EMF and other parameters in CV50 be changed?  I have already tried simply setting CV50 to 1-5 and the results are rather inconclusive.

I understand that Lenz are really good decoders and it's a shame that they are so difficult (for a newcomer to DCC) to understand!

Small Lenz decoders are only so-so in performance and that comes at a high price.  There are far better options, and they cost less money.  eg. Zimo which are considerably better and cost 20. 

As for the Lenz manual, its difficult to follow, and I can follow most technical documents very easily.   I think its lacking a definitive CV list at the back.    MacRat's suggestions are reasonable. 

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:03:45 PM »
Thanks. I certainly prefer the Zimo range myself but in this case, didn't have a choice.  The decoder manual in the link provided is far better than any other that I've found so far and is very helpful.  It still doesn't, though, explain how inputting the selected motor type in decimal into CV 50 stacks up with turning back EMF etc.. on an off when that has to be done in binary!

Online Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:58:26 PM »
try this manual
http://www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/Manuals/silvermini.pdf

It has a table of CV's and shows that you have to add various things together to get to a total for CV50.  But, if you need those higher bits in the CV, I think something else is wrong - such as the decoder not being any good with the motor in question. 

- Nigel

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:23:50 AM »
You need to total the values shown in the manual under the four categories to get the required CV50 value

ie motor type (0-5) + emf (0 inactive or 32 active) + Back EMF control (0 active or 64 inactive) + motor frequency (0 High or 128 low)

So for example - motor type 3, emf active, back EMF inactive, motor frequency low requires a CV50=3+32+64+128 =227

The JMRI Decoder Pro software has profiles for most decoders which allows you to set CVs using a proper GUI rather than this sort of unintelligible arithmetical spaghetti.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:25:40 AM by longbow »

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:18:24 AM »
Thanks for that Longbow.
I finally realised that after my previous reply on this thread, by cross-referring to a Lenz Manual that I already had to the one that a previous reply to this thread had provided a hyperlink to. I've been working my way through the various permutations of motor type/EMF on/off/Motor Control on/off and changing CVs 113 and 114. The best running I've achieved so far has been using motor type 2 (CV50 set to 2) but it's still no-where near the slow running with Zimo or other decoders.
Doug

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here