!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12276 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #390 on: August 19, 2019, 06:46:10 AM »
Not even fixed overhead so the lighting shines down? Ah have a good day,

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #391 on: August 19, 2019, 07:18:57 AM »
Not even fixed overhead so the lighting shines down? Ah have a good day,

That's what I had - a bar over the layout with half a dozen LED bubs on it. However, it stood on A-frame legs at either end of the baseboard - one end of which is now obstructed  :doh:

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: August 19, 2019, 07:30:29 AM »
Could you move the A-frame to th end of Torver, then construct a longer lighting bar? Or build a cantilever?

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #393 on: August 19, 2019, 08:07:34 AM »
Could you move the A-frame to th end of Torver, then construct a longer lighting bar? Or build a cantilever?

Can't put anything behind Torver, there's only just enough room for drawing the curtains as it is.
Anyway, I'll need to rig lighting for photographing Torver too (when there's enough to be worth it) and, later, Woodland and Broughton. They'll all be at different angles as they will loop around the room.
Some form of cantilever will probably be best but I need to design it to give the flexibility to fit in and use for anywhere on the multiple layouts.

I'll get it worked out eventually - yet another job near the top of the ever lengthening "to do" list.

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #394 on: August 31, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »
Well, I'm getting there with the electrickery at last. Coniston now has a "Christmas Tree" in the shape of the fiddle yard control panel now being completed;

Each of the points has two LEDS, whether those are on or off being controlled by a latching relay triggered off the direction setting studs so, provided nobody's been playing with the points by hand, they indicate all the points settings - and retain them if the layout is powered down.

The Green LED, by the switch labelled C1 & C2, indicates to which controller the fiddle yard is connected - C1 (green) being the main controller and C2 (which shows red) being a secondary controller for various sections of the layout (including the turntable rotation power). The idea of that is so that I could send a train on its way into the station and do a little shunting in the fiddle yard whilst waiting for it to arrive. The switch also has a centre-off setting so I can just switch the yard off completely if I wish, in which case the LED is extinguished.

The greeny-yellow LED beside the Reversing Wye Polarity Switch is a bi-colour one to indicate if the  track polarity is correct for the Wye (point 33) direction. If it's not, the LED will display red. This is controlled by the other two contact sets in the relay for point 33 (each relay has four sets) and by having the polarity switch a Quad-Pole Double Throw one. The default display is red, but if both the relay setting and the switch setting match, then the green side of the LED is lit as well.

The switches in four of the loop roads are for uncouplers.

Having wired it all up, I've found that the LEDs can be a bit "intense" as the evening draws in so I plan to add a potentiometer to the power feed so the brightness may be adjusted. However, I won't do that until I also have the station control panel completed and installed so I can see how bright they all are with maximum load.

The station Mk2 control panel is completed as far as I can for now because the switches I've ordered are still (hopefully) on a slow boat from China. Once they arrive, I can fit them, wire them in and strip out the Mk1 panel to replace it with the Mk2.

In the meantime, I've started on wiring the fiddle yard boards for Torver. All the wires are in and tested for continuity - since they run through connectors between the two boards and ones out to what will be the control panel. The track power has been tested to check that it drives a loco and the uncouplers have been tested and proved to be working the right way round, i.e. lifting the couplings, not pulling them down. Next job is to fit the point motors then I can wire them up before putting it to one side whilst I do likewise for Torver's station baseboards.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #395 on: August 31, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
Looking good. You pleased with that chris? Certainly a well written piece. Chris

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #396 on: August 31, 2019, 01:14:49 PM »
Looking good. You pleased with that chris?

I am thanks, yes. It does what it's meant to do, which was the object of the exercise. It saves me either peering across to the back of the board to see where the points are set (which won't be possible when the backscene is in place, or firing them a couple of times to make sure they are where I want.

The right-hand half, the station control panel, will look neater because it won't have so many amendments - just the signal switch locations blanked off for the three that I couldn't get working. Obviously it'll be busier than the fiddle yard panel, having more track, points, uncouplers, isolating sections, etc. and, of course, some signals ;)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #397 on: August 31, 2019, 01:38:40 PM »
Good luck. Im no electric expert. Be good to see torver scenics included. Thank you for the update

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #398 on: August 31, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »
Good luck. Im no electric expert. Be good to see torver scenics included.

Afraid that's some way off yet - electrics to do first, then more testing to make sure it's all OK before ballasting. Only once that's done can I really start to thing about the scenics.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: August 31, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »
That's a very impressive route-setting panel, Chris.

Great stuff!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #400 on: August 31, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »
Seconded. Chris. That control panel amazing. One for each section i take it. Have fun with the project

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #401 on: August 31, 2019, 02:48:54 PM »
That's a very impressive route-setting panel, Chris.
Great stuff!
Best wishes.
John
Seconded. Chris. That control panel amazing. One for each section i take it. Have fun with the project

Thanks guys, just wait till I've got the Coniston station part done, that's more interesting - and challenging ;)

For Coniston I have a single control panel box, but felt that trying to put the fiddle yard on the back of the station would make it far too cramped, heightwise. Hence doing it as two halves, one for each part, but both side by side mounted on the same box..

It'll be different for the rest of the Coniston Railway because I'm building the rest in a different way. There will be one baseboard for each station and one for each of the types of fiddle yard, each of which can go behind any of the stations.
Therefore, I'll be making individual control panels for each of the stations and for each of the fiddle yards, then each station will be adorned with two control panels according to how I've got it set up.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #402 on: August 31, 2019, 03:36:41 PM »
We look forward to progress and love the controller panel. Bit by bit. Agree  best panel for each section eg one for coniston, one torver, woodland and boughton. Thanks for sharing chris

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #403 on: August 31, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »
Now it makes sense re reading your thread after work today chris. Did you construct the panel or buy please? Thanks chris

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »
Now it makes sense re reading your thread after work today chris. Did you construct the panel or buy please?

The structure was two wooden shelf brackets to which I added timbers to make a box. The bootom is 5mm ply, into which the d-sub plugs/sockets are fitted.
The working surfaces are thick polystyrene sheet, topped with the track layout designed in Photoshop and printed out on decent white card, finally topped off with OHP film to give a wipe-clean surface.

For the others, I'll use 3mm ply for the working surface, still with a printed plan and plastic covering. Haven't yet decided what the box structure will be, depends how much wiring, etc has to fit inside dictating how deep they need to be.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
November Donations

Advertise Here