!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12172 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #255 on: May 26, 2019, 11:02:51 AM »
Followers of Coniston will be pleased to know that in the absence of the layout, which is now down at the clubrooms, I have not taken the opportunity to succumb to a spell of idleness but have, instead, continued with the main station building to the extent that it is now very nearly finished.
Below are a few pics with no trains, platforms nor, even, proper ground to distract the eye;

Looking from the south-east;

from the east;

from the north-east;

from the north-west;

from the west;

and from the south-west;

Since the last update, I have added the platform 3 canopy and waiting room, the four vent towers along the train shed ridge, the chimney stacks and pots over the station building toilets and booking office, ridge tiles and flashing, bargeboards on all gables, guttering and downpipes on the eastern side and the weather vane on the entrance porch roof.

The only (IMO) essential bits still to be added are the goods shed doors but I need to get the layout back first because the ground levels need raising to meet the back of the building correctly - that is why there are some little "platforms" partway up the vehicle entrances to the goods shed, to give me a level to which I need to raise the ground.

I haven't bothered with guttering and downpipes on the western side since they won't be visible anyway, however I have made a note of where they should go in case I ever run out of things to do and decide to add them.

The weather vane I am rather pleased with, despite it being somewhat overscale. It's probably about twice the size it ought to be but I couldn't make it any smaller (particularly the direction marker letters) so have accepted that it's too big on the basis that it is a significant detail so really does need to be present. The vane itself has text reading "CR 1859", on the original this was pierced but for my model I've used the photo of the original and done it as white lettering on a black background, printed out and stuck onto the pole. The direction markers are bits of bent wire soldered together.

I very much doubt that the finials on the ridge and main vent towers were white - but I've done them that colour to reduce the risk of an errant arm/hand clouting them.

I have no idea what the tall white pole sticking up from the NE corner was but it's very prominent in any photos of that end so needed to be included.
My first though was a flagpole but I wouldn't have thought that, the least "important" end of the station, to be the logical location for one and I can see no sign of flagpole fittings in any photographs. It also was fixed to the building well above head height. My next thought, as it was so tall, was that it might have been for a radio aerial, but it appears in photos as early as 1905-08 which seems a bit early to me for commercial radio. One thing it can't have been, or is unlikely to have been, was a telegraph pole - not with one of those located adjacent to the north-western corner of the building and another approximately level with it just the other side of the platform 3 and runround loop tracks. So I've no idea but, as I said it's very prominent so had to be included.

My next thought turned to how to transport the building without breaking it - remember, it cannot be fixed down on the platforms since it spans a board joint. Conveniently, it fits in the largest of an assortment of tool boxes I have so I've made a platform in the base to which it can be fitted, using the same pegs as when it's on the layout platforms. A couple of bits of foam fit between the ridges and the removable tray of the tool box stop the building jumping up off of its locating holes - and the tray, also conveniently, will accommodate all the rolling stock I need to take, sorted ;-)

Next task, something to keep the bobby and his levers, bells and instruments warm and dry - i.e., the signal box.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: May 26, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »
Simply stunning. The weather vane is a tour de force. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wonderfulmodelling:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #257 on: May 26, 2019, 11:30:07 AM »
Simply stunning chris. Thank you for sharing

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: May 26, 2019, 11:37:03 AM »
Excellent work, Chris.

Congratulations.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: May 26, 2019, 11:46:35 AM »
Super job, Chris :goggleeyes:

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »
Thanks guys.

I'm pleased with the way it's turned out, particularly since all I've had to which to refer has been a couple of dozen photographs few of which were taken from ideal angles. It does look pretty close to the photos so I think I've succeeded.

Of course, if I'd had any sense I'd have started with something simpler for my first attempt at 2mm scale buildings, like the signal box or loco shed - for both of which I have drawings as well as photos. However, those (certainly the signal box) were pretty well bog-standard Furness Railway designs and could have been anywhere on the FR, whereas the station, goods shed and train shed structure was unique and really shouts out "Oi, this is Coniston", so I'm glad that I did decide to do it first after all.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: May 26, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
For your first attempt at 2mm buildings im in awe. To work from twelve photos must be a challenge. Fab. Please let us say you have a following

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2019, 01:49:15 PM »
For your first attempt at 2mm buildings im in awe. To work from twelve photos must be a challenge. Fab. Please let us say you have a following

OK, if you insist ;-)

Must be pleased with first attempt at 2mm scale buildings.

I certainly am, thanks.

OK, I'll be the first to admit that, whilst I think it's probably as accurate a rendition as most people could manage from the limited source info, it's far from perfect from a construction aspect - too many non right-angled right angles, rather more surplus glue splodges or smears than I'd like, etc. but better construction technique will, I hope, come with experience.

I console myself with the fact that, at what would be considered a normal viewing distance such flaws, particularly at this scale, are largely un-noticable.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2019, 02:29:23 PM »
Lovely structure, well done :thumbsup:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »
chris

if all you have had to which to refer has been a couple of dozen photographs take my hat off, just simply beautiful. no part do i dislike - i just love following your posts, thank you

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2019, 07:56:51 PM »
if all you have had to which to refer has been a couple of dozen photographs take my hat off, just simply beautiful. no part do i dislike - i just love following your posts, thank you

Cheers mate.

Yes that is pretty well all I had.

I did have the approximate plan dimensions from the track plan in the book about the Coniston railway, but those needed to be tweaked to fit to the alterations that had to be made to the track due to limitations of matching Peco point to the track plan, plus tweaks I'd had to make to avoid putting points over baseboard joins.

The book also included the drawings for a tea room that was built on the north end of platform 1 in 1905 (and removed during WW1). Rather helpfully, the drawings included part of adjacent structures (to show how it would fit in), from which I was able to get the ridge heights for the station building and the northern part of the train shed.

The photo taken from the church tower in Coniston village was an almost square-on view, so I could use that to derive the locations, widths and heights of the gable ends for the train shed lighting windows and also guesstimate the difference in height between the ridges of the northern and southern ends of the train shed, because they weren't the same.

Some photos show the train shed ends with trains under the arches, which allowed me to guesstimate the heights of the arches based upon the height of a train, everything else had to be guesstimated by looking at the proportions of the various dimensions in the photos.

Beyond that, all the other photos were taken at rather oblique angles, i.e. from on platform edges, so all I could do was look closely at them to see what detail I could deduce. For example, only one shows the canopy and waiting room on platform 3 and was taken from beside the footbridge so the waiting room is a long way down and, annoyingly, in shadow. Looking at it with a magnifying glass I "think" that it does show a door and two windows near the door, as I've done it, but I could be wrong.

Overall, the whole structure looks about right so I'm satisfied. If I have got some details wrong, so be it.
Anyone who would remember it as it was will be well into their 70s by now so I can always claim that it's their memory that's wrong  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »
i browse the local library and the local history society if anyone could help.its stunning - lost for words chris

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
I have to agree with all the superlatives above Chris - amazing modelling.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: May 26, 2019, 08:50:17 PM »
That is lovely modelling.
You must be well chuffed Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #269 on: May 26, 2019, 08:59:20 PM »
 :hellosign: Superb modelling sir, looking well.....superb  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00