!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 13180 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2019, 05:45:02 PM »
think rule 1 may have to be put in place. as far as i can see re the 4F....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coniston_Railway

Cheers mate. I had seen that wiki page before but missed the bit about the 4F pulling the enthusiasts' special.

Would I be correct in thinking that rule 1 is "run what you like"?  :laugh3:

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2019, 06:06:07 PM »
yes, rule  1  is run what you wish, its your layout.i have not found MUCH photographic evidence of the tour, stock, details susoect mk1s, ex  lms stock.

i did however see :

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/ht1961.html

27/08/61    SLS/MLS    1Z44    Furness Rail Tour    43282, 44347 & 46152

can you make head tail of :

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/610827sl.html

may give clues

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:15:50 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2019, 06:21:41 AM »
can you make head tail of :
https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/610827sl.html

Looks like it was detached from a Manchester-Morecambe excursion at Lancaster. From there, it went direct from Lancaster to Dalton-in-Furness behind a Johnson 3F, joined by the 4F at Plumpton Junction.

The 3F was dropped at Dalton and the 4F took it over all remaining lines on the Furness Peninsular, including right down into Barrow docks. Then it went around the Duddon Estuary to Millom and down past Millom Ironworks to the Hodbarrow heamatite mines - the latter being the reason that Millom exists at all,

It then returned to Millom and back round the estuary to Foxfield before going up the Coniston Branch to Coniston. It then returned to the main line at Foxfield and took the Dalton to Ulverston line again before heading off to Morecambe from where the Scot took it back to Manchester.

It should have rejoined the original excursion for the return to Manchester but was running late so the two halves returned independently.

Must have been quite a day TBH.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2019, 06:45:20 AM »
Morning. At least there is some evidence of the stock used and yes operational / crewing the train must have been a challenge. Chris

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
I think a Union Mills 'Cauliflower' 0-6-0 would be just the thing on Coniston.  I know that they are particularly associated with the CK&PR, but they are, to me, redolent of steam in Lakeland.

Cauliflower now ordered  :)

If I like it, I may consider following it with their Johnson 3F as well, but I think the 2P or Prince of Wales would be a bit OTT for Coniston.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2019, 12:25:01 PM »
Thanks been busy. The cauliflower and the 3f will suit your layout

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2019, 02:37:10 PM »
I think a Union Mills 'Cauliflower' 0-6-0 would be just the thing on Coniston.  I know that they are particularly associated with the CK&PR, but they are, to me, redolent of steam in Lakeland.

Cauliflower now ordered  :)

If I like it, I may consider following it with their Johnson 3F as well, but I think the 2P or Prince of Wales would be a bit OTT for Coniston.

Splendid news!

These little 0-6-0s from Union Mills are excellent runners.  I hope you like it.  Union Mills locomotives are a bit different from Graham Farish and Dapol but I think they are the bee's knees!

There is also a '2F', not in the current list, which is a lovely little thing.

I have a photograph of '2F' No. 58309 at Haverthwaite in 1954 on the goods to Ulverstone and Barrow.  So the class was in your general area.  The same book has a nice photograph of ex-L&Y 2-4-2T No. 10644 at Coniston.  It's August, 1950 but still the LMS number.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2019, 03:51:01 PM »
Splendid news!
These little 0-6-0s from Union Mills are excellent runners. 

So I've heard - possibly less detailed than other manufacturers but excellent runners.
TBH, IMO in 2mm scale at a "normal" viewing distance the level of detail required is not really as great as some rivet-counters expect - nice to have but not essential.

It does help if models are approximately right though, unlike the Farish J94 where the rear cab windows aren't even a vague approximation of correct  :no:

The same book has a nice photograph of ex-L&Y 2-4-2T No. 10644 at Coniston.  It's August, 1950 but still the LMS number.

That loco hung around in the area for quite a time then, one of the books I have about the Coniston Railway has a pic of it approaching Coniston in June 1935.

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2019, 02:50:41 PM »
These little 0-6-0s from Union Mills are excellent runners.  I hope you like it.  Union Mills locomotives are a bit different from Graham Farish and Dapol but I think they are the bee's knees!

The Cauliflower arrived today - less than 24 hours after I ordered it, that's what I call great service. Mind you, with a decent catapult Colin could have saved the postage and delivered direct, since I'm only just across the Irish sea from the Isle of Man  :D

First impressions - it's a lovely little model and feels very substantial. It's only had a brief run up and down a couple of feet of track so far because I'm still ballasting and that's the only bit that I know is clean and free of loose chippings. However, it ran very smoothly and quietly. When I've got the ballasting finished and everything properly cleaned I'll put it to the test and hook up every bit of stock I have to see how it copes  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2019, 03:00:36 PM »
now for the 4F

look forward to photos chris. you pleased with your new acquisition ?

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »
now for the 4F

3F - I've already got the Farish 4F.

look forward to photos chris. you pleased with your new acquisition ?

I am so far - I'll know better when I get the chance to give it a good run, but the early impressions tend towards well pleased  :thumbsup:

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2019, 03:26:30 PM »
The backscene is neither properly fitted nor, even, remotely correct. It's just a tiled image that I downloaded, printed and taped together. It is, however, considerably better than the white card I have previously used. Ultimately I intend to take a photograph from the other side of the valley (I've already found the ideal location) and use that - with a bit of photoshopping to get rid of some houses that didn't exist in the late 1930s and some more recent alterations that have been made to one that did.

I'm pleased to see that the point rodding shows up pretty well even in the shots showing the entire layout.

If you need any help with the backscene give me a shout, I'm a graphic designer with photo editing software available and happy to help out if needed  :beers:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »
thats what i meant chris

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »
If you need any help with the backscene give me a shout, I'm a graphic designer with photo editing software available and happy to help out if needed  :beers:

Thanks mate, but I should be OK. I'm pretty competent with using Photoshop for my photo editing, including resizing images by rather large amounts.
The only thing I don't know yet is if I can find a printer to print it out as a single length to avoid joins and, hopefully, on canvas rather than paper/card so it can be rolled up for transportation with less tendency to try and retain the rolled shape.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2019, 08:08:07 PM »

The Cauliflower arrived today - less than 24 hours after I ordered it, that's what I call great service. Mind you, with a decent catapult Colin could have saved the postage and delivered direct, since I'm only just across the Irish sea from the Isle of Man  :D

First impressions - it's a lovely little model and feels very substantial. It's only had a brief run up and down a couple of feet of track so far because I'm still ballasting and that's the only bit that I know is clean and free of loose chippings. However, it ran very smoothly and quietly. When I've got the ballasting finished and everything properly cleaned I'll put it to the test and hook up every bit of stock I have to see how it copes  :D

I'm really glad that you are happy with the Cauliflower.  I'm guessing it's your first Union Mills locomotive.  It'll likely pull all your rolling stock.  In my experience, couplings along the train part before a UM locomotive stalls.

The UM service is as good as it gets.  By coincidence, the catapult was aimed in the direction of Midlothian today as well!

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here