!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 18470 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #480 on: March 31, 2020, 07:06:09 PM »
I'm more intrigued and impressed with the trees with the white blossom / leaves.

I can take no credit for those, they were another Bay of E acquisition.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-BUSHY-GREEN-WHITE-MODEL-TREES-8-cm-SCENERY-FOR-MODEL-RAILWAY-HO-OO-SCALE-/254524541003?hash=item3b42d8484b

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #481 on: April 01, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »
The interloper standing at platform 1 in the background is a recent acquisition intended to be a project for when I've run out of room to build layouts and want to turn my hand to locos and stock. It's a Stanier 4P 2-6-4T, built from a Skytrex-Railscene kit on a modified Farish Black 5 chassis, which I picked up off the Bay of E last week to accompany my Fairburn.

I think I missed out on bidding for that by 5 mins :D

Your plan for the copper house is exactly how the empties and fulls were done on Highbury 2mm fs being taken round the back on a short cassette from the fiddle yard.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #482 on: April 01, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »
The interloper standing at platform 1 in the background is a recent acquisition intended to be a project for when I've run out of room to build layouts and want to turn my hand to locos and stock. It's a Stanier 4P 2-6-4T, built from a Skytrex-Railscene kit on a modified Farish Black 5 chassis, which I picked up off the Bay of E last week to accompany my Fairburn.

Ooops  ;)

Your plan for the copper house is exactly how the empties and fulls were done on Highbury 2mm fs being taken round the back on a short cassette from the fiddle yard.

Won't really need a cassette for Coniston or, if so, it'll be a very short one. It'll be a maximum of  one or two wagons going each way - if the operators are good at catching they could be lobbed from one end to t'other  :D

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #483 on: April 01, 2020, 09:52:56 AM »

Ooops  ;)

Won't really need a cassette for Coniston or, if so, it'll be a very short one. It'll be a maximum of  one or two wagons going each way - if the operators are good at catching they could be lobbed from one end to t'other  :D

I should be buying things I need to run trains, not trains themselves anyway :D

So far on this buying ban (banning myself from buying anything not related to track laying) I have purchased:

5x Farish teak LNER coaches
1x Tomix Percy
1x Kato oval set
1x metcalfe kit
1x scalescenes kit

I can stop whenever I want, honest!

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #484 on: April 01, 2020, 09:57:38 AM »
I should be buying things I need to run trains, not trains themselves anyway :D

So far on this buying ban (banning myself from buying anything not related to track laying) I have purchased:

5x Farish teak LNER coaches
1x Tomix Percy
1x Kato oval set
1x metcalfe kit
1x scalescenes kit

I can stop whenever I want, honest!

LOL, I think I have that t-shirt too - something else I didn't really need to buy  :D

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #485 on: May 19, 2020, 10:44:57 PM »
Following my effort at a video of trains crossing at Woodland, I've been playing more with video and compiled a day at Coniston, compressed into 12 minutes.

It features the branch push-pull train making two runs each way, a Blackpool excursion arriving with the loco departing light engine to be turned around at Millom before returning for the train and a mixed freight arriving before being shunted into the yard and a return train being assembled.

Very rough around the edges, I guess that if I want to get more into (and out of) this I need better equipment, especially a video pan/tilt head for the tripod and a cameras that continuously autofocusses - unless I simply haven't found out how to set mine do that yet.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #486 on: May 19, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
That's a fabulous sequence chris. Just looking at my geography

Offline Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #487 on: May 19, 2020, 11:28:20 PM »

Very rough around the edges, I guess that if I want to get more into (and out of) this I need better equipment, especially a video pan/tilt head for the tripod and a cameras that continuously autofocusses - unless I simply haven't found out how to set mine do that yet.

It is difficult to focus on a N Gauge loco and get it in focus, also lighting inside is an issue the video isn’t as crisp as it would be taken outside. Theses are all problems I have and notice in others video’s unless they have a first class video camera and lighting.

Video‘s look even worse if enlarged

The actual video was good and you have cracked adding the music, I find sometimes it is worth reducing the volume of the background music in the video so you can also hear slightly the train.

By the way I am no expert and only learning the ins and outs myself

Enjoyed your video

Stay safe and well

Mike H 8)

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #488 on: May 20, 2020, 06:40:50 AM »
That's a fabulous sequence chris. Just looking at my geography

Thanks, Chris

It is difficult to focus on a N Gauge loco and get it in focus, also lighting inside is an issue the video isn’t as crisp as it would be taken outside. Theses are all problems I have and notice in others video’s unless they have a first class video camera and lighting.

Very true, I think the biggest problem is that, unless I haven't found the setting, the camera doesn't have continuous autofocus so it stays at the focussed distance at which recording commenced. To be fair, though, it is really a cracking little stills camera to which Canon added video capabilty "because they could".

Video‘s look even worse if enlarged

Definitely - on my browser, Youtube is displaying it about twice as large as the vid I actually uploaded. I'll have to see if there's a setting that can be used to not resize it.

The actual video was good and you have cracked adding the music,

Thanks, Mike.

I find sometimes it is worth reducing the volume of the background music in the video so you can also hear slightly the train.

To be honest, there wouldn't have been any point in that, even if my editing tools would allow blending of sound tracks - all you'd have heard is a slight rumble punctuated by clicks as the points throw and sometimes buzzes as the uncouplers are activated. Also, since the camera's not really meant for video its audio capability is extremely limited.

It was a bit of fun though, even if some bits needed several takes it the loco stalled, the wrong wagon uncoupled or, more frequently, the train went out of scene because the cameraman hasn't got the hang of panning whilst also trying to look at and work the control panel  :D

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:42:00 AM by chrism »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #489 on: May 20, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »
I find autofocus a bit of a nuisance.  The camera often focuses on what it decides is best, even if it isn't.  I set my manual focus up so that, for the station sequences, I film from about five feet away from the station board and zoom in, trying to focus on something near the backscene, which gives a reasonable focus across the range, although I sometimes get it wrong.  I use autofuocus for the cuttings where I either hand-hold the camera or set up the tripod right next to the baseboard. In both cases I point it directly at the train.  I'm still a bit rough with it, but I hope I'm learning as I go along.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #490 on: May 20, 2020, 08:16:23 AM »
So if I'm right the layout is set north of million? I'm still trying to figure it all out. If https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coniston_railway_station_(England). Then foxfield as the junction station, broughton  woodland  trove coniston in that order.  Whoops ....   try here   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coniston_railway_station_(England)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:21:02 AM by crewearpley40 »

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #491 on: May 20, 2020, 08:19:19 AM »
Looking through the manual it would appear, as I thought, that autofocus isn't available after the shutter button is pressed to either take a still (as I knew) or to start recording video.

One problem that I have is that I'm limited to a distance of less than 2' from the front of the baseboard because, in this case, that's where Woodland is set up  ;)

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #492 on: May 20, 2020, 08:45:29 AM »
So if I'm right the layout is set north of million? I'm still trying to figure it all out

More north-east.

You'll need to copy the entire links and paste them - they haven't come out as full links in the forum display.

Here's the map showing Millom, Broughton, Torver and Coniston. Woodland isn't marked because it's an area rather than a distinct place.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Station+Rd,+Broughton-in-Furness/@54.2764136,-3.3513094,11z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487cb09c02cb28eb:0x78ea04954f0f7dda!8m2!3d54.2764105!4d-3.2112337

Satellite views of Broughton;
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Station+Rd,+Broughton-in-Furness/@54.2764136,-3.2134224,598m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487cb09c02cb28eb:0x78ea04954f0f7dda!8m2!3d54.2764105!4d-3.2112337

The station building is under the D and M of Duddon Valley Medical Practice.

Woodland;
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Broughton-in-Furness+LA20+6AG/@54.3027394,-3.168512,598m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x487cba37624c513d:0x2fc4219fc99d135f!2sWoodland+Hall,+Broughton-in-Furness+LA20+6DF!3b1!8m2!3d54.2870637!4d-3.1646207!3m4!1s0x487cba287f005a23:0xf77cede55d51ea64!8m2!3d54.302688!4d-3.1664402

The station building and linked goods shed (now houses) are in the centre, you can see the trackbed crossing the road where the level crossing was.

Torver;
https://www.google.com/maps/place/A593,+Torver,+Coniston/@54.3384062,-3.1046503,597m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487cb932b60e8f41:0x63c6e94c3427e03e!8m2!3d54.338413!4d-3.102482

The station building is just below the label for Crook Farm and the goods shed is in the small builder's yard the other side of the A5084.

and Coniston;
https://www.google.com/maps/place/10-21+Old+Furness+Rd,+Coniston+LA21+8HU/@54.3674894,-3.080919,597m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487cbf3de325e83d:0xb4799d118b4581c3!8m2!3d54.3674884!4d-3.0787354

The station building was approximately where Crake Valley Motors is marked. The slate wharf, at the back of my model, is where the car park can be seen.

It's possible to track the railway route most of the way on the satellite view.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:47:58 AM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #493 on: May 20, 2020, 08:50:41 AM »
Thanks chris. That's helped.i clicked on my link I posted then where it said do you mean ....Coniston railway station( England). I clicked again to access
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:51:54 AM by crewearpley40 »

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #494 on: May 20, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »
Thanks chris. That's helped.i clicked on my link I posted then where it said do you mean ....Coniston railway station( England). I clicked again to access

In reply to the edit of your previous post, yes Foxfield was the junction.

Originally, Broughton was the junction station of the Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway and the Furness Railway, the former coming over a bridge across the Duddon estuary and swinging north to Broughton while the former came north from Foxfield, the two joining just south of Broughton.
The WFJ had a loco yard, the FR had the goods yard and both shared a single platform.

When the Coniston Railway was built, most of the WFJs area was covered by the new station building and platform and when the FR took over the WFJ they put a curve in running south from the Duddon estuary bridge directly down to Foxfield, which is the current Cumbrian Coast line.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal