!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 20955 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #465 on: March 15, 2020, 09:36:25 PM »
Plenty to do to take ones Mind off rain and health issues. Impressive work on the scenics bringing to life the scene. Cheis
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:03:21 AM by crewearpley40 »

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #466 on: March 16, 2020, 06:36:03 AM »
I love the team of horses!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #467 on: March 16, 2020, 06:40:12 AM »
I love the team of horses!

Thanks, mate. I'm rather chuffed myself with the way they came out.
Out with the glue and on to the second team....

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #468 on: March 16, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »
And the second snigging team is now completed and installed in the goods yard.

Unlike the first team I couldn't assemble the second and install it as a completed set because it would be very unlikely that I could get the ground surfaces to match, therefore I decided to depict the second team being unhitched from the wagon.
Since I didn't fancy trying to fit the traces to the leading horses whilst leaning across the layout, buildings, signals, people, etc. I only fixed the second pair of horses to the wagon, along with their traces and just the traces for the lead pair, before affixing the wagon and second pair to the goods yard. I then fixed the loose ends of the lead horses' traces as if they had been unfastened and let drop, then put the lead horses a pace or so ahead with the carter leading them away.

I think it works.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #469 on: March 16, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »

I think it works.

Most definitely.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #470 on: March 16, 2020, 04:03:55 PM »
I love it and it reminds me of the old Ventnor station on the Isle of Wight.
Very much my type of layout and it  is constructed to perfection.
Keep up the fantastic work.

Martin
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 04:05:43 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #471 on: March 16, 2020, 04:05:55 PM »
Realistic of the period your modelling. Impressive chris

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #472 on: March 16, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »
Thanks, guys.
I'm doing my best to make it look pre-war - even though some of the locos and trains I run are actually post-war, but I'm claiming Rule 1 on that aspect  :D

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #473 on: March 16, 2020, 10:38:14 PM »
Love it!

great to see the Swallows & Amazons on the layout

Plan to have 'rattle-trap' arriving to pick them up?
I've always assumed an Austin Heavy 12, but that's just because I want it to be the same car as Gumdrop from the books.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #474 on: March 17, 2020, 06:43:18 AM »
Love it!
great to see the Swallows & Amazons on the layout

Cheers.

Plan to have 'rattle-trap' arriving to pick them up?

Don't think so. There's not a lot of the station approach visible, since it climbs up from behind trees and then disappears behind the station building. The goods yard is getting nicely full and the visible part of Station Road is already well occupied with a Reliant 3-wheeler pickup bringing milk churns and the snigging team bringing another log tree trunk. I've got a Bullnose Morris parked beside the slate wharf siding and that's about all that is visible.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #475 on: March 23, 2020, 08:40:38 AM »
As promised in my update on Torver's goods yard yesterday, here's Coniston's goods yard.

The eagle-eyed will spot that the yard crane has changed shape. The old one was a kit-built crane which served the purpose as a temporary fitting but which was completely the wrong design for the real crane at Coniston. Peco make one that is more correct, but still not 100% correct and, more importantly, 'Orribly Overscale.

Having failed to find anything in 2mm scale that was more fitting I resorted to scratchbuilding, enabled after I'd had an sudden lightbulb moment - watch gears. Thus, this crane comprises a few bits of old watches, plasticard, wire and cotton. I had no dimensions to work from, just a few photos from various angles so, as with much of the layout detail, it is a "best effort" as to dimensions and precise design - it does, however, look considerably more in keeping than its predecessor.

I've also filled a few gaps in the yard with a mixture of ready made crated loads and a couple of stacks of large timbers beyond the coal office. I think that's sufficient now.

While I have the space to get around the layout more (Torver and Woodland are packed in their cases at present) I decided to have a go at photographing the layout from the very ends, with focus stacking.

This is from the northern end, looking from just above the bridge over Station Road, giving a normally unseen view of the back of the station building so, if I say it myself, a good view of the rather impressive porch structure that the designers included and showing the weather vane quite nicely.
The slightly darker patch in the ground to the right of the garden is from where where I nicked the lorry to put on Torver. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a decent colour match when I tried to repair it. Never mind, it'll be hidden by a bus when it arrives - both figuratively and literally, it's in the post  ;)

Whilst this is from the other end, looking north. It doesn't show quite as much of the length of the layout since the curvature of the bank on the left would have started to hide the goods yard had I moved further left and back, but it shows all the main points of interest. It does also, unfortunately, have an odd look to the backscene due to the different angle from which that had been photographed - but we can't always have everything. The layout's normally meant to be viewed from the front and the backscene looks right from that angle, and that's what matters.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #476 on: March 23, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »
Thank you for these excellent photographs, Chris.

The middle one - an aerial view of a busy Coniston is especially fine, I think.  The station roof detail is simply stunning.

Thank you for your fascinating posts regarding one of my favourite branch lines - both real and model.  We ought to be in that part of the world (-ish) this week, but the place we go to has sensibly closed 'for the duration'.  I'll compensate for this by sitting at home looking at your posts!

Thanks again and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #477 on: March 23, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »
Realistic, packed with action. Scratchbuilding is therapeutic. Testing times and I would save something to do. Take it you have looked everywhere for a yard crane
V

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #478 on: March 31, 2020, 06:43:40 PM »
As well as working on Broughton, I've also done something for Coniston that I had planned but on hold until the required paint arrived. Now that has arrived, I've filled a couple of wagons with "copper ore" - actually granite ballast with dabs of mala*hite green, blue and a mix of the two to give varied shades of the turquoise and green colours in copper ore.

It's not really another cameo scene but more planned as an operating cameo. When I'm operating the station "properly" (i.e not as a roundy roundy) every now and then an empty wagon or two will be propelled out of the northern end of the station to the Copper House;

They might be left there for a while or might be immediately replaced with a wagon or two full of ore being brought into the station, to be added to the next goods run to Broughton and beyond;

When the full wagons reach the fiddle yard behind Broughton (or Torver or Woodland, depending how many stations I'm using) then they will be swapped with the empties behind the scenes so that "another" pair of empties can be sent up to Coniston and "another" pair of full ones are waiting at the Copper House.

The interloper standing at platform 1 in the background is a recent acquisition intended to be a project for when I've run out of room to build layouts and want to turn my hand to locos and stock. It's a Stanier 4P 2-6-4T, built from a Skytrex-Railscene kit on a modified Farish Black 5 chassis, which I picked up off the Bay of E last week to accompany my Fairburn. After a little attention it runs quite nicely but does have one or two things that need attention when I get around to it.
Firstly, it could do with a good clean and service.
Secondly, it needs modifying (if I can) to have proper couplings, instead of the fixed horizontal hooks on the bogie and pony truck.
Thirdly, or maybe firstly I hear you say, it needs a repaint. For some reason the builder decided to use what maybe he thought was Stroudley's Improved Engine Black with hand-painted numbers and lettering - although to be fair the latter are a darned sight better than I could have managed.
When I get around to doing it, I'll be using proper engine black and LMS transfers.

I actually have another 2-6-4T project in hand, also off the Bay of E, also a kit built one although I don't know whose kit it was (it's not the same as this one, the bunker is completely different) running on a Minitrix chassis which a) is pretty ropey, b) has no walschaerts motion at all and c) is out of gauge, the cylinders fouling most of my platforms. I suspect I'll be seeing if I can get this one on a Farish Black 5 chassis as well.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:13:31 PM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #479 on: March 31, 2020, 06:46:55 PM »
I'm more intrigued and impressed with the trees with the white blossom / leaves.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal