!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12683 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2019, 09:09:20 PM »
Good luck with a) through to e) and I hope there's no f) involved ;)

So do I - if there is an f involved I dare say it'll be prefixed with an o  :D

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2019, 09:51:13 PM »
thought point ( f ) could be / maybe the positive / constructive comments by your peers / fellow club  members that your due.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2019, 05:44:37 AM »
thought point ( f ) could be / maybe the positive / constructive comments by your peers / fellow club  members that your due.

One can always hope  :claphappy:

Offline Flakmunky

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2019, 05:50:32 AM »
Great thread and a great model. Thanks for sharing.
If you find a post helpful, thank the poster... Up there to the right of their name! :) ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Current Build: Barnton Yard - An Inglenook dock

My previous build: My BR 1980's Layout Thread

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2019, 06:14:19 AM »
Hope its well received chris

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2019, 05:12:39 PM »
Hope the moving it to the club rooms goes well (please let us know)

If, in the future, it's being exhibited anywhere near Manchester I'll be coming to see it in the flesh (and happy to operate for a bit if you like so you can grab a butty)

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #216 on: May 12, 2019, 05:17:11 PM »
Agreed please let us know if exhhbition invites in the nw pour in sure myself and newport nobby mick will be round

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2019, 07:12:33 AM »
Hope the moving it to the club rooms goes well (please let us know)

Will do - unless it was a complete failure  :-[

If, in the future, it's being exhibited anywhere near Manchester I'll be coming to see it in the flesh (and happy to operate for a bit if you like so you can grab a butty)
Agreed please let us know if exhhbition invites in the nw pour in sure myself and newport nobby mick will be round

Crikey, I haven't given that any thought whatsoever.

It'll need a hell of a lot more work before it's fit for that. Apart from the visual aspect of the public-facing side, the control panel will need remaking, especially if I do get the signals flapping down and up remotely, and the indicator light circuit board finishing and wiring in.

Also, if I'm completely honest, the whole layout could do with rewiring to aid fault finding should the law of s*d rear its ugly head. Most of the original rat's nest of wiring is now simply a tie-wrapped rat's nest, with more added, so it could really do with the wires laying out neatly and looming according to function, etc.

I've also got to sort out uncoupling so it can be operated as it should be - for the open day I'll just run it as a roundy-roundy but for serious demonstration I need to bring trains in, uncouple, run round and depart to the same end - 5-coach passenger excursion never went up to the copper wharf  :no:

I guess it may make it to the club's exhibition that is being considered for next year, and Millom is fairly near to Manchester, we even have a direct train connection I believe.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »
Good luck with the wiring. Is there not a direct barrow to manchester service? Maybe your own club layout holiding its exhibition is a good starting point

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2019, 07:52:19 AM »
Good luck with the wiring. Is there not a direct barrow to manchester service?

There is - and a few trains carry on to Millom and on up to Carlisle along the Cumbrian Coast line without needing to change at Barrow.

Maybe your own club layout holiding its exhibition is a good starting point

I think so too.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
The station building is now almost at the stage where I can continue to work on it without having the layout underneath so I can start to take the baseboards apart to deal with a few little jobs hat need to be done before it goes down to the club.

Before I do, however, here are some pics of the partially completed station building so that you can get an idea of what it will look like;

The south end;

the north end;

and looking straight on the side;

The roofs are just sheets of card plonked on for now. I have to make the sides of the dormers first before I can put the proper tiled roofs on, as well as the far sides of the two roof levels on the train shed and the roofs for the goods shed and station building itself.

The approximately central tower has louvres on all three sides (the fourth being level with the ridge of the extension to the train shed) for ventilation. One of my books claims that it was to give ventilation for the gents lavatory, however I'm not so sure. Firstly, unless it was relocated, the gents was at the northern end of the station building on the opposite side of, and almost at the very northern end of, the train shed and, secondly, that tower would provide a heck of a lot of ventilation. I'm more of the view that it was actually to let smoke and steam out, especially since a good 50% of it is over the tracks.

The dormers with their tall windows were solely to allow light into the train shed, supplemented by the smaller, lower windows and a glazed section along part of the western facing side of the roof on the original, northern, half of the shed. The southern half doesn't appear to have glazing in the roof but a couple of photos indicate a raised strip along most of its length  - I suspect that was also for ventilation, the prevailing wind would blow in through such a vent with the louvres in the tower letting it back out, along with the smoke & steam.

I'm afraid that the addition of the train shed means that the curved platform fans will have to settle for the excessively curved platform 3 or peek through the windows at the sides and ends of the train shed. Any complaints about this should be made to the descendants of Mssrs. Paley and Austin, the architects responsible for it.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2019, 07:26:40 PM »
chris

thank you for  sharing stunning photos of your architecture.

just feel im standing at the scene in amazement - so beautiful

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2019, 07:27:41 PM »
Absolutely fabulous!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2019, 06:04:33 AM »
Thanks guys, it's certainly starting to look like what it should.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2019, 06:14:54 AM »
Morning chris. Was plastikard used? Constructing that structure and those platforms must have been a challenge. The photns give it a real feel for the place

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything