!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cambrian line. New layout breaks cover  (Read 548 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Cambrian line. New layout breaks cover
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »
Loving this layout, I especially love your representation of Dovey Junction.

I remember Dovey Junction from a family holiday in 1978, I guess. We were camping near Aberystwyth and we'd spotted a cheap evening trip to Barmouth so we decided to go on it.

On the way to Barmouth we stopped at a little station in the middle of nowhere, which turned out to be Dovey Junction, and waited, and waited, and waited until eventually a train came through the other side of the platform. we then pulled around to the other side and waited, and waited, etc. until another train came through the side where we had been. Then we carried on to Barmouth.

When it came to the time for coming back we were told as we boarded the train that we would need to change at Dovey Junction. However, just after we left Aberdyfi the guard came legging it  down the train shouting "For God's sake don't get off at Dovey Junction, we're not stopping".

Presumably the connecting train was late because they had us change at Machynlleth instead.

Offline Robscoulding

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 03:19:13 PM »

I remember Dovey Junction from a family holiday in 1978, I guess. We were camping near Aberystwyth and we'd spotted a cheap evening trip to Barmouth so we decided to go on it.

On the way to Barmouth we stopped at a little station in the middle of nowhere, which turned out to be Dovey Junction, and waited, and waited, and waited until eventually a train came through the other side of the platform. we then pulled around to the other side and waited, and waited, etc. until another train came through the side where we had been. Then we carried on to Barmouth.

When it came to the time for coming back we were told as we boarded the train that we would need to change at Dovey Junction. However, just after we left Aberdyfi the guard came legging it  down the train shouting "For God's sake don't get off at Dovey Junction, we're not stopping".

Presumably the connecting train was late because they had us change at Machynlleth instead.

. Yep - nothing quite like the Cambrian line 😀

Offline Stuarted

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
I travelled back and to between Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth fairly regularly in the late 1970s. Lovely journey as long as time was of no consequence. Quite nostalgic seeing your recreation - I shall follow progress with interest.

Offline Robscoulding

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 08:35:16 PM »
Thanks Stuarted.

Just added picture of latest shot of Dovey junction - I have some EZ water to go on but I am not sure how level my layout is so need to check that first 😀

Offline Robscoulding

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 09:55:17 PM »

Passing loop open

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP